Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

updatoRed

☂ bezoek okiland !

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

BetoR.....Gracias

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

In search of the central mind...

A lot of small radios could merge in to one bigger entity where some kind of peer to peer relaying system would alloy a lot of people to listen to the same stream broadcasted from anypoint of the network according to a predetermined schedule governed by the central mind. I could perhaps contribute with some kind of freak show IF the technical stuff is solved and a central mind is established somewhere.

Hopefully internet radio will be available everywhere in the future. The reason I wasn't tuning into the CBS frequently: I was at work or in the car or simply not at home where it is easy to connect to internet radio.

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

enjoying basrors robot FM excellent detroit atm.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

@autobass:

An idea could be that the main server streams music from other radios... like, every hour it connects to another station, based on a scheduled rotation and so on..

Don't know, just my two cents...

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

yeah thats what i am thinking too too many station will end in the mp3.com dilemma.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

alex_d_steak wrote:

@autobass:

An idea could be that the main server streams music from other radios... like, every hour it connects to another station, based on a scheduled rotation and so on..

Don't know, just my two cents...

That is exactly what i was thinking. I just read about peercast and then noticed your already using it for streaming. NICE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerCast

-With p2p networking and different stations involved we can have diverse coverage that could better serve all robot listeners.
-Also one off broadcasts from any location with broadband are possible without seting up servers or paying for more bandwidth.
-Ideally the more people are tuned in the better the "signal"...altho swarms aren't supported yet...other peoples disconnecting could cause more disconnects/buffering....it's all beta...hehe...we should go for it!

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

leedorean wrote:

yeah thats what i am thinking too too many station will end in the mp3.com dilemma.

Of course the operation has to be terminated before that happens. I suggest the station should play lots of electro and italo to avoid becoming too popular wink

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

well I would say that the definition of genres can bring a lot of clashing between people... For me, for instance, I like electro and italo but I like
ambient and experimental as well...

I was thinking of a "free hour" where you can play whatever you like, even farting on the mic or discussing about how to cook insects...
and if the link to your station is not online, the system will play a recorded stream/general selection of tracks up to the next hour where somebody
else shall provide the stream, and so on...

More like a central aggregator of streams, who participates fill in the various slots that are arranged according to a schedule.

So for instance, let's say that it's me, autobass and mensch participating.

at 8 am the "master server" (MS from now on) picks Mensch stream, then at 9 am it drops Mensch's and picks mine... then at 10am it is the turn
of autobass streaming hour... then all over again (since it's just the three of us; with more people you can have more schedule).
Let's say that my stream is not available for whatever reason (line, app not running, sleeping Alex, etc). 5 minutes before the MS will check if the
link to my stream is up and running. If so, at 9 it will do the switch (either with a introductory jingle/raw cut/etc) and then I get my timeslot.
If 5 minutes before my hour my stream is not available, the MS will preload a 1 hour selection (either a mp3 file or a playlist) to be substituted to
my slot.... Then maybe another check at 1 minute before start to make it sure that I am really offline and then start with the substitute program
or my stream.

I hope it is clear what I have in mind, if not tell me and I will try to explain it in a more "graphical" way smile
Alex

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

currently listening to roRbot FM. bookmarked all the others smile

i'll try to get one going too but i'm pretty newbish to this stuff

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

Autobass wrote:
leedorean wrote:

yeah thats what i am thinking too too many station will end in the mp3.com dilemma.

Of course the operation has to be terminated before that happens. I suggest the station should play lots of electro and italo to avoid becoming too popular wink

no what i mean is a shared stream takes a little organisation but in my opinion it is better than 20 single streams by everybody

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

leedorean wrote:
Autobass wrote:
leedorean wrote:

yeah thats what i am thinking too too many station will end in the mp3.com dilemma.

Of course the operation has to be terminated before that happens. I suggest the station should play lots of electro and italo to avoid becoming too popular wink

no what i mean is a shared stream takes a little organisation but in my opinion it is better than 20 single streams by everybody

I agree.

I also agree that the radio should have its own playlist which would kick in if there is no broadcast to relay as alex_d_steak pointed out. N

Now that the cbs is finished this is probably the most efficient way to regain a radio station with more content than just a good playlists and jingles. Hopefully some of the robots who were contributing to the cbs can also provide prerecorded shows/mix sets/jingles.

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

Sounds like a plan then smile

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

yep, it sounds like a very good plan, you can count me in.
But the problem is that we need a main server stream with a big bandwidth/capacity...

Tune in to Pitchounet Radio (24/7) : http://pitchounet.serverroom.us:4360/listen.pls
"The Swiss Fondue Mixture", LIVE each Wednesday 22:00-23:00 on IFM1
MIXES MIXES MIXES

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

So you would still be able to connect to separate streams? The servers/users that would be transmitting wouldn't be relaying at the same time? So who or what would be relaying the signal? I'm sorry this is still a bit hazy to me but sounds like an exciting approach smile

Jingles definately, we can distribute those to the network to make it appear more of a community. Should we think up a name for the network, or would it be called just "Robots for Robots"? I think it backs up the p2p idea nicely... or should I say "R4R"?

Tradition is kindling of the fire, not worship of the ashes.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

x-bobo wrote:

yep, it sounds like a very good plan, you can count me in.
But the problem is that we need a main server stream with a big bandwidth/capacity...

I'm not sure whether we do. If we use this peercast-thingy, and it works as promised, it should be enough to keep three people or so with decent lines connected all the time. My line supports 20-25 listeners or so at 128kb, so if two or three more always stay connected we should have enough capacity. Or, have I misunderstood the mechanics of this completely?

EDIT: Robots for Robots actually sounds pretty good. It fits the whole concept of this stream-replacement perfectly. I was thinking about Robot Orphanage or summat, but i like r4r better.

Last edited by Robot Monster (2008-07-09 15:33:42)

robots.for.robots

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

@Robot Monster
You perfectly understood the mechanics... also, it looks that your line is very capable, so you could be the Master Server...
Through this PeerCast the stream distribution is not a big problem, what we have to tackle is how to acquire the various streams...
Personally I would prefer to have a "live slot" rather than sending in files, so that I can still have my radio running if I want to listen to my music
while I am not at home (and for other people as well).

Are you running a unix or a windows box? if you have Linux/BSD/any Unix I can try to set up some shell scripts that can handle the
check/switching if we are using shoutcast...

I have a small server at home and some around, I can make some testing, but it would be nice if you are available as well.

Last edited by alex_d_steak (2008-07-09 15:39:20)

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

I'm running windows on my current rig. I should have some old computers laying around I could set up unix on and use as a sort of server, though. Will look around a bit when I get back from work.

I'm not too familiar with unix, but a mate of mine, who did all the technical stuff on my last netradio, can probably help me out. I've got to help a guy with building a computer today, but I hope i can find time for some server-experimenting.

Last edited by Robot Monster (2008-07-09 15:49:41)

robots.for.robots

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

no problems, tell me if you need remote help as well with a *nix box, I eat 300 of them every day all around the world tongue

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

Anyone knows how to create a window on the forum with the current track playin' on the main radio streams ?

Last edited by x-bobo (2008-07-10 04:06:24)

Tune in to Pitchounet Radio (24/7) : http://pitchounet.serverroom.us:4360/listen.pls
"The Swiss Fondue Mixture", LIVE each Wednesday 22:00-23:00 on IFM1
MIXES MIXES MIXES

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

R4R is nice - kinda aped from P2P and the forum name smile

I'll try the peercast thingy next weekend when I'm at home. Everything P2P related is thorougly blocked at work  I hope this is just an exception and being at work won't completeley prevent robots from tuning in.

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

alex_d_steak wrote:

@Robot Monster
You perfectly understood the mechanics... also, it looks that your line is very capable, so you could be the Master Server...
Through this PeerCast the stream distribution is not a big problem, what we have to tackle is how to acquire the various streams...
Personally I would prefer to have a "live slot" rather than sending in files, so that I can still have my radio running if I want to listen to my music
while I am not at home (and for other people as well).

Are you running a unix or a windows box? if you have Linux/BSD/any Unix I can try to set up some shell scripts that can handle the
check/switching if we are using shoutcast...

I have a small server at home and some around, I can make some testing, but it would be nice if you are available as well.

The CBS used to have supplybots who sent in their rare italos etc... With P2P technology it doesn't matter where the files are. Any robot could have their playlists playing on the radio relayed from their HDs. big_smile

Shiiit! Now That I think of what I just pointed out. This really does itl for say Monday-disco or Saturday-electro with some freak providing a playilist from his own HD - if say so my damn self, thank you.

Last edited by Autobass (2008-07-10 07:05:14)

<Pete> His life was programmed from the very start.
<MacGyver> He never had a chance.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

alex_d_steak wrote:

well I would say that the definition of genres can bring a lot of clashing between people... For me, for instance, I like electro and italo but I like
ambient and experimental as well...

I was thinking of a "free hour" where you can play whatever you like, even farting on the mic or discussing about how to cook insects...
and if the link to your station is not online, the system will play a recorded stream/general selection of tracks up to the next hour where somebody
else shall provide the stream, and so on...

More like a central aggregator of streams, who participates fill in the various slots that are arranged according to a schedule....

sounds familiar. i think audioasyl implemented something like that. if need be i could see if we can learn from them somehow. there were robots from audioasyl on the cbs forum though, just not sure it any of the technical guys.

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

that could be nice, indeed

Re: Setting up a stream yourself?

Does anyone know of any type of programming software to use with shoutcast or any of the other broadcasting softwares? I would like to set up a schedule, so that it plays from a certain playlist during certain hours. Also, is there a way to make jingles play between every tenth track or something similiar?

robots.for.robots