Topic: What do I need ??

Hi Everyone,

Well I'm tired of lacking some real recording stuff, I got two synths (DX7 and Juno-1) and I use VSTs and record some conga and voice action, right now with my EMU0404 soundcard I have to unplug and plug manually everytime behind my computer...
So I wanted to get something where I could plug all my sources and send it to my computer, while still using my good old soundcard, mostly for the MIDI IN (I never understood the effects or the software that came with it)

So I understood I had three options :

-Buying an analogic console, easy solution, I just connect it to my current soundcard, but I can't see the separate channels in my Cubase, I have to record one instrument at a time if I want to put software effects on it...

-Buying something that convert audio to numeric, like a box, but this won't allow me to see the input on separate channels right ?

-buying some firewire or usb connected console, like this one : http://www.mackie.com/Products/onyxiseries/photos/Onyx%20820i%20Top.jpg But is this doing external soundcard too? may I still use my old soundcard with MIDI with that ?

Besides, I was wasking myself questions about the use of hardware effects. Sure it's cool, but how do you use it ? You have to plug it everytime you want to use it between your console and your source ?

Re: What do I need ??

I think you need to study a bit some sound engineering basics, it will give you a precise overview in the craft and how to work with hardware devices smile

a hardware production studio (at least in my opinion and experience, others will have a different view) revolves around the
mixing console, which can be as small or big as your needs and wallet smile Considering inline consoles to be the standard,
you would have to have a mixing console with 8 to N channels, a number of auxiliary sends, an equivalent number of
return channels, from 2 to N group channels and the master volume.

Instead of doing the "cable jockey", I strongly advise you to buy a patch bay, which is usually a rack mounted panel with
a number (usually 24 or 48, depends on the brand/make) of 6.4" connectors (jacks) in the back and in the front.
You would connect permanently all the inputs and outputs of your devices (synths, the mixer, the effects, the audio
interface of your comnputer) on the back of the patch panel, then with short cables (patch cables) you would interconnect
the devices in front of the panel (like in the old telephone pabx system, that is where they come from smile

For the effects, you would connect one (or more) of the aux sends of the mixer to the input(s) of your effect, then the
output(s) of the effect would either be connected to the return channel on the mixer or to the normal channel (this is the
way I do, so that I can have a different equalization on the effected signal compared to the original).

Clearly, using a patch bay makes these connections way easier and practical than having to move cables all around smile

Your soundcard has 2 inputs and two outputs, this means that you can record two channels at the same time - either two
mono channels (two different instruments) or a stereo channel (one instrument with stereo output). If you want to
record more channels simultaneously then you have to get another audio interface, with more than 2 channels smile

I have an old Echo Layla3G which has 8 inputs and 8 outputs, so I could record 8 channels at the same time and play 8
separate channels in realtime - however I can already mix in the computer, so I can pass through more than 8 different
"instruments" at the same time, unless I need them separate to do some analog filtering through my mixer.

As for digital consoles, I am an analog guy so I never had one and can't really tell how they work.

Maybe I have confused you even more with my post, I hope other people will be able to address your questions with
more precision than I did tongue

a.

Re: What do I need ??

Hey! thanks for answering, you didn't confuse me I swear!
I laid hand yesterday, after talking about that with friends, on this FOSTEX 2016 :
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7296/dscf3407z.jpg

Well I know it's not High-end, but it will do the job I guess !! I just have to buy a preamp if I want to use a microphone I understood. 4 aux, 2 return, but no groups it seems.

I don't need a patch bay until I have like lots of effect and sources right? in this case I would need more than 4 to be overwhelmed, because I have 4 aux ?

At least that settles the digital console. But I think I understood that this is pretty useless, unless I want to record live band, which is not the case.

Now I need to buy some cables, connect it and make some music at last !! time for congas !!