1 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2008-10-07 13:50:40)

Topic: discogs votes: ask here

i know there's two kinds of 'cogs users, the ones that don't use it anymore since version 4 and the ones that still use it today. since i'm a member of the latter group and also still contributing (or, let's say, combat entropy so that the database doesn't turn into one huge pile of dogshite) i'm starting this thread for all fellow submitters to ask for votes.

i also have voting rights so i can give votes in return. they'll be according to quality of submission/edit of course.

Re: discogs votes: ask here

thanks hysteric and superpanch! let me know if i should vote on any of your subs/edits and i'll have a look.

Voted on a few, looks like Klart (superpanch) did the rest.
Feel free to return the favour: http://www.discogs.com/submissions?user=hysteric big_smile

btw not 100% sure about the Stopp "I'm Hungry" thing as those have been floating around a long time.
Maybe almost official (or at least Italian) repress like Boeing - "Dance On The Beat"

hysteric wrote:

Voted on a few, looks like Klart (superpanch) did the rest.
Feel free to return the favour: http://www.discogs.com/submissions?user=hysteric big_smile

btw not 100% sure about the Stopp "I'm Hungry" thing as those have been floating around a long time.
Maybe almost official (or at least Italian) repress like Boeing - "Dance On The Beat"

thanks a lot!

about the stopp: as i wrote in the notes i have seen at least two version being sold as "repress" or "reissue". one of them could be an "almost official" (whatever that means) release but the other one is definitely a bootleg (and the fact that it's by an italian doesn't make it less of a bootleg). i've sources who confirmed that. problem is i don't have a way of telling which of the two versions is the confirmed bootleg and what the other version is exactly. it's a shady business...

ugh that's a lot of subs you got out in the open there. i'll have a look at them over the weekend.

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

ugh that's a lot of subs you got out in the open there. i'll have a look at them over the weekend.

hehe don't worry bout it, but if you happen to stumble across one, please vote on it.

Can't say for sure about the Stopp thing as I don't have either copy. Shady business indeed.

Isn't discogs really fucked up these days? Like people put in double entries of the same release...its quite a mess if you see some lists there and definitely not correct

not 100 % sure but the bootleg release from stopp - i'm hungry is from 2007
seen it over a year now
boeing also

Vlam Aan

9 (edited by hysteric 2008-09-11 11:51:09)

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Isn't discogs really fucked up these days? Like people put in double entries of the same release...its quite a mess if you see some lists there and definitely not correct

More a case of people adding the same release from every country, even if it's the same record!
I don't understand why they bother. Sure, if it has different tracks or cover, I could almost see the point.

edit: also adding a different entry for every different color pressing was really a big mistake imho, though I'm sure some would disagree.

hysteric wrote:

edit: also adding a different entry for every different color pressing was really a big mistake imho, though I'm sure some would disagree.

so true, could also be mentioned in notes : like first 100 are coloured

Vlam Aan

it's sure an efficient way to bump up your subs count... sometimes i really think they took it too far with what is an acceptable separate entry. especially on summary pages like an artist's or a label's page you lose oversight quite easily that way.

then again, ask 10 'cogers and you get 10 different opinions on how things should be done.

Wasn't there some drama where the original creators were kicked out or something and now they try to make a new real discogs withouth commercial conspiracies?

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Wasn't there some drama where the original creators were kicked out or something and now they try to make a new real discogs withouth commercial conspiracies?

I was one of the first moderators (feb 2002). Since V4 there aren't any moderators left, releases don't have to be voted in, they are put in the database immediately & can be voted on afterwards (no longer by moderators but by practically every member). This was possibly done for commercial purposes (when you can't find the release you want to sell, just submit one (wrong or right)). A lot of the people/moderators weren't happy with this system (fucked up entries, duplicates, people trying to delete entries in the database stating they've sold their copy,...) and left or don't do much for it anymore. Some started a new site or a forum that plans to start one for those reasons.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

kuczera wrote:

seen it over a year now
boeing also

i think i have that bootleg. im not sure but i think i bought it in 2006/2007. also i dont know if it was a bootleg. bought it on ebay for cheap because no one was bidding. At that time there were no cheap (bootlegged) stopp's available on discogs so maybe i just was lucky and got a original copy. it was like new so problaby not. dunno.

Klart wrote:
Squadra Smackos wrote:

I was one of the first moderators (feb 2002). Since V4 there aren't any moderators left, releases don't have to be voted in, they are put in the database immediately & can be voted on afterwards (no longer by moderators but by practically every member). This was possibly done for commercial purposes (when you can't find the release you want to sell, just submit one (wrong or right)). A lot of the people/moderators weren't happy with this system (fucked up entries, duplicates, people trying to delete entries in the database stating they've sold their copy,...) and left or don't do much for it anymore. Some started a new site or a forum that plans to start one for those reasons.

So that means I can start an imaginary label on discogs?

so we're only suppossed to vote for records we have and can confirm the inofrmation that has been submitted, right?
:?

Squadra Smackos wrote:

So that means I can start an imaginary label on discogs?

That would be nice to do. With imaginary releases in limited editions.
That you can only have when u have the same imagination...
If not u can always add it again to database as a different repress with same cat#.

Plat0r wrote:

so we're only suppossed to vote for records we have and can confirm the inofrmation that has been submitted, right?
:?

i don't think so. We have to vote for songs that we like - that what i do.

oh well in that case...I VOTE FOR BABY'S GANG!

I used to contribute to Discogs but it's a pain in the ass. It's also hilarious when a classic release gets deleted. You receive a notice.

Still use it to buy records and blab though.

recently added some releases. seems to be going smooth.
a few years ago it was a hassle and stopped adding.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
kuczera wrote:

seen it over a year now
boeing also

i think i have that bootleg. im not sure but i think i bought it in 2006/2007. also i dont know if it was a bootleg. bought it on ebay for cheap because no one was bidding. At that time there were no cheap (bootlegged) stopp's available on discogs so maybe i just was lucky and got a original copy. it was like new so problaby not. dunno.

you can tell the bootleg from taking a close look at the SIAE stamp. a magnifier might help to discern the "printer dots". also, if the SIAE stamp is at the same place facing the same direction as on one of the two label scans i've attached to the discogs entry you can be 99.9% sure it is not an original.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

recently added some releases. seems to be going smooth.
a few years ago it was a hassle and stopped adding.

i'm afraid i have to agree. but i've also started cleaning up crappy entries that have become plenty abundant. like this guy from cyprus who seems to have all italo records for sale (at least the wanted ones) who opened a new label entry for discomagic records probably because he never read the submission guidelines and just seems to add entries to be able to sell record X for 200-300 euro or more. major headache.

i think the optimal solution would be somewhere in between. now every nitwit and their grandma can add anything to the database just like that.

plikestechno wrote:

I used to contribute to Discogs but it's a pain in the ass. It's also hilarious when a classic release gets deleted. You receive a notice.

Still use it to buy records and blab though.

that's exactly what the owners of discogs want you to do since version 4.

there's too few safety constraints and quality control measures in place in v. 4. but at least the buying experience has been enhanced...

the stamp is almost at the same spot. at first u think its the same but its not and mine also misses a part ot the stamp like the ink was finished. do these bootleggers use original stamps maybe or am I just lucky after all and bought original copy?