Topic: midi weirdness any ideas?

this is doing my head in and I am having no joy with google finding people with similar probs.

I have borrowed a Xoxbox,and when I am using its midi out to drive other synths (CZ1000 and Fat383)
I keep getting stuck/hanging notes on the receiving gear when I start /stop the clock.I then have to reset the synths I am driving and restart.

I am clocking ithe xoxbox from a TR505.

Anyone else had any probs with using a xoxbox to sequence other gear?

cheers robots:)

Re: midi weirdness any ideas?

no but do you know which os its on. there is an other on the go which fixed dinsync issues but wasnt properly midi tested i think. also, whats connected to what?

3 (edited by AudaxPowder 2012-08-18 10:04:54)

Yeah try to get sokkOS 1.9.1 as your firmware. Anyways so your midi master is the 505, what's the order of your chain exactly? I use the x0x to sequence my Juno-106 no problem and those are 4th and 5th in my midi chain. Is it the x0x or the synths you're sequencing with it that the notes are dropping out on? My x0x will drop out and hang on a note occasionally but it's only when my other 3 boxes before it have too many messages overlapping (pattern and patch changes). I can't imagine it'd drop out if you're only doing a 3 gear chain.

4 (edited by mortis lock 2012-08-18 12:06:22)

its has 1.9.1 installed as far as i know but will confirm.

I have attempted to diagnose the problem some more in the last few hours but this has led to further oddness.
I tried every chain combination including just driving the CZ from the XOX.When you slide a note on the Xox the CZ locks up. More often than not, start stopping the XOX will result in the same lock up on the CZ.The XOX seems to be running continually with no hang ups or odd notes on its synth.

When sequenced from a DAW arpeggiator/step sequencer the CZ1000 displays the same prob as when driven by the XOX,ie midi input trips out ,a note sticks on the CZ,and continues to play after stopping the clock.I then need to reset the CZ patch to continue.

If i am sequencing a VSTi from the Xox , when start /stopping the clock ,I get the same hung note problem on the VST.

The Xox causes similar behaviour when sequencing the FAT 383,when you slide a note on the Xox the midi locks up on the 383.
I have tried changing midi leads.
I think my studio is haunted or is just bad combination of gear,the Cz has weird envelopes and midi,the XOX isnt a rock solid machine and the FAT 383 is basically rubbish.Will try some other XOX /synth combinations later when I dig out the bass station and D110.
Thanks for your input guys.
Sorry for the head ache. smile

5 (edited by AudaxPowder 2012-08-18 22:12:55)

Well when I sequence my 106 with my x0x it doesn't register the slides or accents(for me I don't expect it to) but it doesn't drop the clock or get stuck notes.

Who built your x0xb0x exactly? Those would be the people to contact, I wouldn't blame the the other gear if it's across the board messing up from software to hardware.

Last thought for now though is I wouldn't use the x0x as the leader, do your starting and stopping from the 505 and just mute it out.

6 (edited by mortis lock 2012-08-19 22:50:05)

the xox was built by someone called the Beast pretty recently.
I have tried various other combos and the Xox trips out the D110 when you press slide too.
One thing I have noticed with the xox is that when it is master or slave ,stopping the sequence causes the step Led to snap back to position 7.Is this normal or should it go back to step 1.(When restarting it plays correctly from step 1 rather than 7.)
Also the D110 has far fewer stuck notes than the CZ and seems to only hang when sliding.
I am gonna read up on Midi monitor programs and see exactly what this xox is spitting out.It defo has all the functionality of Sokkos 1.9.1 so i  think the software is ok.
I am enjoying testing the xox despite this, but if I am thinking of buying one I wanna make sure my ancient crap gear works with it first:)

think thats a reputable builder. slide is just a note long enough to reach the next 16th -nothing remarkable about it.can you record a pattern anywhere and see note lengths, velocity etc? adafruit has the original forums so best join up