Topic: WTB: Musicaid/Simmons Clap Trap

trying to lay my hands on one of these.

please post if you know any source.

Re: WTB: Musicaid/Simmons Clap Trap

I have one but unfortunately for you not selling.. Can't remember ever seeing one for sale. I guess you mean the analog one? (Musicaid)

http://www.otherworlds.nl/pix/claptrap1.jpg

http://www.otherworlds.nl/pix/claptrap2.jpg

ronin wrote:

trying to lay my hands on one of these.

please post if you know any source.

TB or not TB

i'd consider either one. i have yet to hear the musicaid version, all the demos seem to only deal with the simmons.
i missed out on an auctioned musicaid last week, a big week of missing out actually, also missed a near mint tascam 122 mkIII from the bbc world service clear out (didn't enter the bid value correctly and missed it by seconds gaaaahhhh!) sold for £80  hmm

thanks for posting the pics. looks real nice but i'm more interested in how it sounds.

I don't have it at home at the moment but will post some sounds when it's back. The upper section are two electronic pulses that can be divided and pitched. The lower section is a noise generator with decay and pitch/filter and can be mixed with the upper section. I guess the digital claptrap is more useful as a clap and has more options. The analog one is a cool sounding device but not much of a realistic clap wink It's pretty rare and expensive I guess because it was the first Simmons machine on the market before it was even called Simmons.. Don't think there are many made, I have the first version with serial-# HC005. I believe there are 2 or 3 versions of the analog claptrap and the first version is without the 'humanizer' function..

ronin wrote:

i'd consider either one. i have yet to hear the musicaid version, all the demos seem to only deal with the simmons.
i missed out on an auctioned musicaid last week, a big week of missing out actually, also missed a near mint tascam 122 mkIII from the bbc world service clear out (didn't enter the bid value correctly and missed it by seconds gaaaahhhh!) sold for £80  hmm

thanks for posting the pics. looks real nice but i'm more interested in how it sounds.

TB or not TB

Freek wrote:

I don't have it at home at the moment but will post some sounds when it's back.

oh man that would be sweet!

Freek wrote:

I guess the digital claptrap is more useful as a clap and has more options

i base my quest on hearing this one i suppose.

Hopefully it will be back in 2 weeks or so.. don't hesitate to remind me smile

TB or not TB

ronin wrote:
Freek wrote:

I guess the digital claptrap is more useful as a clap and has more options

i base my quest on hearing this one i suppose.

I will make a really shitty demo; saves you a lot of cash wink

TB or not TB

i doubt it would be shittier than the digital demos around (christ).

so why do you want to spend a lot of money on a Simmons clap?

ronin wrote:

i doubt it would be shittier than the digital demos around (christ).

TB or not TB

i don't recall mentioning i was prepared to pay a lot. there was one for sale here a few weeks ago for 150.
i realize that was a good deal so i suppose i'd be willing to pay a little more than that but not above 200.

having heard it on many recordings i like how it fits in a mix, especially the loose aspect which adds nice subtle emphasis.

If you have a eurorack modular the MFB Clap module has a lot of the same parameters and they're voltage controllable. Similar but not same sound as well.

12 (edited by plikestechno 2012-09-28 22:48:21)

This is blasphemy but you could get the effect and run it through some old equipment. Nails it pretty good, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5gvvEmX3Ag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G96Mj-yRiy8

Reason 3000 why I have to get an iPad one of these days. So many music apps coming out for it.

it sounds close enough indeed and it's compatible with ios4 (wehey!) but external triggering is an absolute must so this app doesn't really fit the bill.

mfb module is also out as i don't have a system.

Says it triggers via audio from internal mic. Or MIDI. Could do trigger to MIDI. The price on these is bananas. Have seen them go for 200-1000 USD.

no mic on the ipod but the midi option looks promising.
i'm going to look into it and see if i can pick up an ios midi interface on the cheap. very economical solution plikes  smile

crap there's always something.
my 2nd generation ipod doesn't support core midi so now those midi adapters are off the menu.
perhaps someone is looking to offload their terribly uncool and outdated iphone 4?...