1 (edited by RBB 2013-07-08 20:00:54)

Topic: CD album releases/DIY approach to "Just get it out there"

As I slog away at creating music and send out demos here and there my library builds and builds. What's your take on putting out a CD of work? And then getting it into peoples hands, for sale/exposure/promo...

Re: CD album releases/DIY approach to "Just get it out there"

Just out of curiosity..who have you sent your stuff to?
IMO most poeple who run labels have a vision of what stuff they want on their label & will usually have sourced knowledge of the artist via souncloud/bandcamp/forums/internet radio...im not sure how successful cold calling with demos is. Hell even the IFM demo contest hasn't exactly brought any of the contestants promised releases or naked chicks & monies tongue

I have just recently bought a shitty cdj so i can play digital files from USB....more stuff that isn't 'dj friendly' and where i can't justify spending £20 on vinyl, i mean i cannot mix with the dam thing, has to be vinyl for that.

Anyone can press up a CD, say it;s limited edition + some handmade artwork = instant hype big_smile or just sell your gear on bandcamp. I could imagine your stuff on jamal moss's 'Mathematic' label right enough/ cool  cool

Let's get Dumb

3 (edited by RBB 2013-07-11 20:22:19)

Re: CD album releases/DIY approach to "Just get it out there"

Oh labels along lines of Mathematics as you mentioned etc... That's my take exactly on label heads methods of sourcing work, and most of the time they have their own people they're already going to put out/interested in. And i'm sure it feels nice to "discover" someone themselves hmm Only so much pandering and sweating of a label I'm interested in doing anyway. Plus I can imagine owning a label and being hounded and sent links non-stop ins't fun.

Vinyl all the way, thinking of snagging a cdj too, will see how that goes. Will hop on bandcamp at least and continue to sling out tracks to labels while waiting for extra money to come in to press up my own WAX!