1 (edited by SirStephen 2014-02-03 21:21:13)

Topic: MF-102 Ring Mod Question - Constant Freq Carrier and Input Osc

So, hypothetically, I have a great "bell/metallic tone" dialed into my mf-102 and Little Phatty but only when the note, C, is played.  I'd like to be able to keep the relationship between the Carrier Frequency and Input Osc Frequency constant so I can play the sound CHROMATICALLY.

Assuming I have the following:

Little Phatty w/ CV OUT MODS
MF-102 Ring Modulator
CP-251

Any help/guidance would be most appreciated! Is there a way to patch these in order to preserve the Carrier/Input Osc frequencies?  The issue was addressed in the article, "Lord of the Ring Mods" BUT using a Voyager and VX-351.  Can anyone explain how to translate/apply this technique to the Phatty/MF-102 system - perhaps using the CP-251... here is the explanation using the Voyager/VX-351 from "Lord of the Ring Mods":

FYI:  I have a CP-251 with CV OUT MODS on the Phatty -

How would you go about patching the inputs/outputs in order to play the 'perfect metallic/bell tone' CHROMATICALLY?

This was explained in  an article, Lord of the Ring Modulator, BUT using a Voyager and VX-351 - if anyone knows how to apply/translate this to the MF-102/Phatty w/ CV Mod/CP-251 system - that would be MOST helpful!!

Here is the explanation for Voyager from "Lord of the Ring Mod" but WITHOUT THE GRAPHICS, sry:
4. Tracking Modulation
So far we’ve focused on the Carrier Oscillator, mainly using it to augment the Voyager’s three oscillators. It’s time to take
the rest of the Ring Modulator’s electronics for a spin and show what they can do.
Keep the Carrier Oscillator configured to track the Voyager’s Key Pitch, and connect the RM in the Voyager’s Mix/Out loop
using an Insert Cable as shown below.
OUT
IN
VX-351
ATTEN
PITCH
KBD
MF-102 RING MODULATOR
VOYAGER
MIX/OUT
FREQ AUDIO IN LOOP
AUDIO OUT
RING
TIP
INSERT CABLE
With this new configuration in place, select a Voyager preset (any one will do), and switch off all but one of the Voyager
oscillators. Set the RM Drive knob to a comfortable level (about 9 o’clock on the dial should do it), set the Mix control to
100% and engage the pedal (the Bypass LED will be Green). Play a few notes on the Voyager while you adjust the RM’s
Frequency knob. Find a setting you like, and then play it up and down the keyboard. You’ll notice that the sound ‘tracks’
your playing, because the relationship between the Voyager oscillator and Carrier oscillator is constant. This setup allows
you to play electronic bells, chimes, metal bars – any ‘clangorous’ sound – chromatically.