Topic: New mini monosynth from Dave Smith

Have you robots seen or heard of this thing?   Looks like a modern, extremely compact Pro One (i.e. it's a single voice from the Prophet 08 stuffed into a cute little box).

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/pro … /index.php

Re: New mini monosynth from Dave Smith

That's far from cute to my eyes!
It's vulgar both in name and design!

What a pity to see a great as Dave Smith producing theese bullshits!

Broken Pots Hunter

"Cute" was more a reference to its' size than anything else.  I don't particularly care for the color and design either.  Reminds me of an Emu Orbit.

horrible design...
maybe it's not that bad, being a voice of a prophet 08, but I think I'd never get one

i dont know...Ive definitely heard worse sounding instruments...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJwGMEp3pw[/youtube]

it sure looks awful. even the knobs are ugly. they should make it more like the prophet 08 desktop version.

but if it has some fun modulation features like ring mod or something it could be useful for live use (if you paint it and change the knobs).

I gave the manual a quick read.   There's no ringmod, but you can route the output of OSC 1 to filter cutoff so you could still get some weird stuff happening.  You also get 4 modulation sequencers per patch like you do with the Prophet 08.

No oscillator cross-mod.  Boo.

Perhaps this product will follow the same path as the Evolver - a small desktop box first, then a proper keyboard model afterwards with more physical controls.  Perhaps it will just die since everyone's first impression is something to the tune of "holy fuck that's ugly".

yeah i just checked the manual myself. some oscillator cross-mod and stuff would almost seal the deal for me, despite the ugly looks. i would just paint over that shit. but now i don't think i can be bothered. still, triggering the arpeggiator from an external input such as a drum machine would do for some fun and compact jamming.

Looks almost as ugly as those Jomox modules.

The worst part is that I'm sure it sounds good.
They should make a black/silver  "Pro" or "LE" version or something.

12 (edited by unicity 2008-09-25 22:43:05)

Agreed. 

The prototype looks much better:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FMBJEkaC8Lw/S … _mopho.jpg

heck i think im gonna get one anyway. shouldn't be too hard to turn it into something more along the lines of that prototype model. or put wood film over it or something.

actually it's not that bad if you think of it as a cheese:
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/images/mopho2.jpg

14 (edited by Erroraudio 2008-09-26 08:09:28)

KILL KILL KILL!!!!

Don't touch it or you will catch the ugly disease..

On another note. It looks like you have to turn the buttons for ages to get anywhere!?!!?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Ugly.. But the size, hell yeah!

Omnom, i already got a 08, fuck it!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

yeah, buttons are for pressing, turning them won't get you anywhere tongue
the knobs are probably like on the prophet '08, meaning that you will indeed have to twist them a bit more than regular knobs.

it's really only the finish that's ugly i think. underneath that it looks pretty much like a generic box, which is probably a good thing cost wise. and dave smith is an old hippie. all those hippie pedals and stuff are super whacky and ugly.

this is the perfect thing for people like me who likes the '08 but are not quite impressed enough by it's sound (read: too poor) to spend all that cash on it. also the size makes it excellent for live use.

yeah, the prototype is ok

http://i33.tinypic.com/de7g9h.jpg

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

The prototype does not even appear to be in a complete case. You can see a PCB stand offs on the bottom. This thing is by far the ugliest piece of synth gear I have seen. That input gain knob is also really ugly. It looks like it should be the cover of a corny new metal CD or something. And since I am already on a bit of a rant, whats up with those cheap ass looking knobs? Barf!

funny to see so many people getting bent out of shape about this.

it's a pretty powerful synth for not much money.
and he's not tried to name it after the pro one, which is very nice.

I respect that he is trying to change it up, but the name and color are gross. How hard could it be to come up with something less embarrassing than Mopho? I would have bought one in a heartbeat if it were not for the esthetically questionable case and name choice.

I think the name will appeal to all those hecka-tight synth dudes. Personally, if it were all white with light purple knobs and yellow LED's i'd be all over it.

yeah... looks like they saw the success of the moog little phatty, and went with that vibe....
and yeah, it's kinda sad but that's what people obviously want to buy.

On the positive side, it's got a real LCD rather than shitty matrix panel editing like the evolver desktop has.... and 4 assignable knobs you can directly route to parameters in a patch, to perform with. and I think that the addition of audio feedback is a really awesome idea. audio feedback is one of the best things the evolver does, and I thought it was sad that they missed out on it for the p08. Osc sync would have been nice.. maybe he's saving that for the next edition of the mopho - called "yo-mamma" or "tuff-fucka" or something....

Think its pretty cool, deffo a bit garish but its all about how it sounds not how it looks!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

computerdisco wrote:

Think its pretty cool, deffo a bit garish but its all about how it sounds not how it looks!

I wish it was that simple for me but the fact is I always end up getting rid of the ugly gear because it stands out.

I didnt know that you can see sound. neutral

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++