1 (edited by SirStephen 2014-04-13 07:20:44)

Topic: EH SMALL STONE Phaser - Which model sounds "best" on SYNTHS?

I have used a bunch of phasers... but am looking to buy a Small Stone based on its specific sound I have heard on certain tracks.  Yes,  I'd basically like to have "that string sound" that has made it a classic with synthesizer/Rhodes/Solina users... it does seem to have a unique character.

That being said, there are SO many different models - and possibly sacrifices to choosing a newer version like the Nano vs a version 1,2 etc. as  well as advantages such as True Bypass and less noise.

There are many comparisons of the different models online, but only with guitars it seems...  I will be using it with Roland (Juno6/60 and Jx3p), Korg (MS20/Polysix,Oddessey, DW8000), Prophet600, Moogs, Solina String Ensemble and Rhodes sounds almost exclusively... ie little to no guitar.  Almost done 'restoring' a String Ensemble and that has inspired my sudden need for one.  roll

Any opinions would be highly appreciated... which version is the best for that classic 70s sweep (considering True Bypass and less noise is good)?  If the original is the only way to go to get a rich tone... or the Nano is really close with more advantages: This is what I'm hoping to determine with some confidence before buying.

Thx

Re: EH SMALL STONE Phaser - Which model sounds "best" on SYNTHS?

It's been a while since I built anything, but if I remember right "true bypass" is bullshit, and very few units are NOT true bypass, because it's about the wiring of the footswitch.

anyway.

I owned an old sovtek small stone from the 90s and it was amazing, probably the best phaser I ever owned. My friend has a 80s USA Small Stone and I didn't really hear THAT much difference.

Hope that helps.

Thx. Certainly helpful.

I realize that the notion of "True Bypass" equals BETTER, in a sense, is "bullshit" in a lot of scenarios... and some argue BS outright supposedly.

but considering my FX chain for Live purposes is rather limited and small due to space and only 2 aux sends on my mixer... I'm more concerned with having to completely disengage the pedal when it's not in use due to noise or "tone sucking" etc. - though I realize a correctly configured rig should not have this problem no matter how many Amps/Pedals are involved.

That being said, I haven't heard ANY "glowing" reviews of the NANO, and some really bad ones now, so I think it is best to go for at least an 80s or earlier model.  Just hope it isn't excessively loud - will cost to fix or a pain to learn how to do it myself.  There is a specific MOD... Analog Man does it.

But the only video with synths and a Small Stone that I could find which gave a good idea of the sound (besides Jean M Jarre - the obvious example) use older models.  I think the version 2 is the one...

Thx again.

The 'idea' of the Sovtek versions are really appealing... basically just because they seem kinda mysterious and made in Russia though. big_smile

Hopefully one comes thru a local store so I can try it sometime.

Well I stopped buying EHX pedals because quality REALLY started to suck, I had that No1 Delay and a Little Big Muff and I hated them compared to my older versions.

I would say, I really like Boss Pedals, they're well built and sound pretty neat, though I would take the Sovtek over the Boss one any day, they're still cool.

6 (edited by Revok 2014-04-15 23:17:52)

Isn't the Behringer Vintage Phaser a clone of the Small Stone? If it compares as well to the original as the Vintage Time Machine does to the Memory Man it might be a steal at 20€. Anyone tried it?