Re: What new booty have you acquired?

Look at the back end of this bitch! I can't wait to plug it up.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu352/plikestechno/IMG_1785.jpg

2,727 (edited by plikestechno 2010-05-05 18:03:46)

Is there anyone that LOVES their G2 or G2X? I know tons of people that still love their G1 but I think the G2(X) has left people somewhat underwhelmed. I think people were expecting a lot more from it. You see it trade hands a lot.

I remember when I got started with this whole thing one of the things I wanted the most was a G1. I bought one at its cheapest time (500 USD) and I didn't like it at all. I think once you have outboard analog gear the Nord Modular is really boring. Maybe as my first synth I would have been more blown away. Off to watch more Kyma videos...

The more videos I watch the more I think I am ready for Kyma where I would not have been a couple of years ago. Playing with my modulars and just letting my mind open I think will help me interact better to just experimenting. Or it might just go back up for sale in a few months. But who knows? I am very excited.

I LOVE my G2, and I have lots of outboard analog gear.

What I really like about the Nord Modulars compared to stuff like Reaktor, Max/MSP, Kyma, etc. is the immediacy.

After a few years with the original Micro Modular, I spent 4-5 years using low level "boxes and wires" type software.  I eventually realized that while digging deep into the sub-atomic levels of synthesis and sound design was cool, it sure did keep me from actually making music.  It literally got to the point where my friends would come over and say "do you have any new tracks for me to hear?" and I'd reply "well...no, but I've been working on this cool Reaktor patch, here check out this sound". 

Now that I've ditched that stuff and come back "home" with the G2, I couldn't be happier.  It's the best digital synthesizer I've ever used.  The hardware interface is elegant and intuitive.  The high-level approach of the editor is conducive to getting sounds out of my head and into the air very quickly.  What it lacks in capability it makes up for in results.  It plays well with both my analog gear and my software.  When I want to get deep, it will satisfy that urge.  When I want to put something together in less than 10 minutes, no problem.

That being said, I'll be the first to admit that your new Kyma (congrats by the way) shits all over the G2.

But...and don't take this as a slight or let it deter you...I also know of 2 people who have sold off their Kyma's because they didn't have the time to invest in it in order to get the most out of it.  It sounds like you're not facing that issue though.  smile

well, 1250USD was not an incredible amount of money... I paid my G2X more or less the double of that amount (in CHF).

uh, and gotta love that "house sync" BNC connector big_smile

a TASCAM FW-1884. I didn't realize it is that huge. From reading the net I also expected trouble with drivers and communications. But it only took a couple of minutes and I had it handling ASIO and controlling faders, etc.

Could it replace a mixer!? Stay tuned.

Hey plikestechno,

I love my G2 too. This is such a great machine. To me the possibilities are endless!
And to be honest, I don't understand how somebody would not want one  big_smile
Maybe it's either too complex or just the lack of knowledge what this machine is capable of!

Cheers,

Welcome to the Future...

Korg KR-55b, passed by a pawn shop and heard the clerk trying it out, they'd just received it!

I already have a dinsync modded KR-55, gonna have a showdown.

Which one do you prefer?

I think the 55 has better patterns, I'll find out soon.

2,734 (edited by plikestechno 2010-05-08 06:21:07)

Check Mate wrote:

Hey plikestechno,

I love my G2 too. This is such a great machine. To me the possibilities are endless!
And to be honest, I don't understand how somebody would not want one  big_smile
Maybe it's either too complex or just the lack of knowledge what this machine is capable of!

Cheers,

Awesome to see two G2 lovers so quickly.

But, when I read your post having experienced a G1, having read the specs of the G2. I feel the exact opposite.

I think the G2 should have had way, way more modules and possibilites than it does. You can make massive machines, and tweak them all night but you never have more than a small selection of uneditable parts.

The G1 I get and can respect, despite its crappy sound that ruined it for me albeit when I got one in 2008, for 1997 it was pretty mindblowing. And justifiably was lauded and used on many recordings.

But the G2 looks like a bit of a scam to me. When it came out in 2004, with the technology of the time, people should have been able to design their own modules and make something Buchlian or Sergian or types of modulars we've never imagined. But nope, same boring legos.

If you don't have a hardware modular it is probably a lot of fun and really awesome but if you do have a decent sized system I don't get the point. The fact that hardware modular manufacturers are really cranking up the innovation as well right now also makes the G2 far less appealing.

It's more musical as Unicity stated than most VST "modulars", but if the focus is making crazy sounds and unique synths, why not save a ton of money and buy Reaktor? Which has way more possibilities.

Well I get your point! To be be honest I'm no real modular expert. More modules would confuse me even more . smile
I still have to learn a lot and explore the possibilities. The G2 fits my needs because it can do everything I can imagine plus it is hands on.
You don't really get that with reaktor I guess.
The sound is good enough for me because I'm more focused on the music than on the question what the music is made with. 
The biggest advantage of the G2 is in the live capability I think (though i don't play live  tongue )! A big modular system is of course better but you cannot take it to a gig. If you take the G2 an MPC and a Mopho for example you already have good non Laptop setup.
But that's just my personal view!
Maybe some day I'll realize the limitations of this synth and get a real modular but then it is still a versatile Synth, EFX machine and MIDI Sequencer which is actually one of the main reasons I bought it
and when I heard the G2 track on Smackos' webpage the decision was made  big_smile

Welcome to the Future...

2,736 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2010-05-08 09:15:16)

And a real modular isnt polyphonic most of the times...and no instant memory locations. The G2 wasnt designed as a competing modular synth but as a superprogrammable poly-performance synth beast with its own character. You program a synth and its always instantly recallable and playable without a computer.

A real modular has way more limitations then a G2, if you don't have 1000 modules  or something a G2 will always kick most of the real modulars ass ha!  wink

2,737 (edited by biotek 2010-05-08 11:26:35)

I can't believe Native Instruments is asking that amount of money for something that doesn't even have proper bandlimited oscillators. You can build some very interesting samplers with it though.

Anyway if you really want to get serious with experimental electronic music, you should forget about these toys discussed and get something like Super Collider or Max/MSP.

Monkey see, monkey do.

plikestechno wrote:

But the G2 looks like a bit of a scam to me. When it came out in 2004, with the technology of the time, people should have been able to design their own modules and make something Buchlian or Sergian or types of modulars we've never imagined. But nope, same boring legos.

Those same boring legos really do provide the foundation for countless applications.  I'm far from exhausting them myself, and this is probably due in large part to the fact that I can add as many of those boring legos as I need at any given time.   

What kind of module would you want to build from scratch that isn't based on some combination of those boring legos, or what kind of modifications to existing modules would you want to make? 

plikestechno wrote:

It's more musical as Unicity stated than most VST "modulars", but if the focus is making crazy sounds and unique synths, why not save a ton of money and buy Reaktor? Which has way more possibilities.

Screw Reaktor...if you want crazy sounds, get a Kyma.  wink

This is like when audiophiles pay $3000 for a cable.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Yeah Kyma is indeed the coolest thing for freaky digital stuff.
Max is nice and Supercolider is nice but it's for computernerds.
The Kyma is way more user friendly.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

biotek wrote:

Haha sure sure.  And this:

biotek wrote:

I can't believe Native Instruments is asking that amount of money for something that doesn't even have proper bandlimited oscillators.

...isnt? 

tongue

Not a NI customer by far.

Now back to laughing at the expense of Kyma customers:
http://www.carlascaletti.com/pmwiki/pub … pStick.mov

Monkey see, monkey do.

got an realistic reverb system todan really tiny box wanted to try to bendt it but it actually sounds kinda nice. the guy also gave a bose active equalizer for the 800 series is that stuff any good withou the 800 series speakers=

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

2,744 (edited by plikestechno 2010-05-09 00:39:49)

biotek wrote:

Ironically I agree with this somewhat as I just sold almost $1000 worth of cabling from my "audiophile" system that I never listen to anymore. Have sold my fancy preamp and transport/DAC combo as well. When you move house you really look around to see what you actually use.

But, back on topic, the point was the Kyma I bought was less than the going rate of a G2.

I don't mean to bash on the G2. I just wanted to hear from some enthusiastic listeners and I did.

Having already a room full of vintage and analog gear and two different hardware modulars capable of at least 4 voices each I simply didn't like the G1, probably had too high of expectations, and think that G2 purchasers were owed much more than Clavia gave them. And they seem to get sold a lot more than G1s. Do you guys like your G2s better than your G1s/Micros?

biotek wrote:

Now back to laughing at the expense of Kyma customers:
http://www.carlascaletti.com/pmwiki/pub … pStick.mov

Different strokes for different folks. I think that video is awesome!

Check Mate wrote:

The biggest advantage of the G2 is in the live capability I think (though i don't play live  tongue )! A big modular system is of course better but you cannot take it to a gig. If you take the G2 an MPC and a Mopho for example you already have good non Laptop setup.

This is definitely the biggest advantage...of all three things that you listed.

plikestechno wrote:

Do you guys like your G2s better than your G1s/Micros?

Definitely.  The MIDI modules alone offer a huge advantage over the G1.  I think the hardware interface on the G2 is superior in every way as well.  I agree with what people say about the G2 sounding a bit...tamer...than the G1/Micro, but it's not to the point that it's an issue for me.  They just sound a bit different.

To be honest, I think Clavia did drop the ball with both generations of the Nord Modular series.  There is a lot of untapped potential in the G2 (e.g. being able to make Reaktor-style macros in the editor would be nice), but I'm still very pleased with what they did manage to get out there.

Christian Vogel "The Never Engine". All made in Kyma: http://clone.nl/item10764.html

Wall-e is mostly done with Kyma to.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Kawai 360 digital piano

TONY COPS wrote:

Korg KR-55b, passed by a pawn shop and heard the clerk trying it out, they'd just received it!

I already have a dinsync modded KR-55, gonna have a showdown.

Which one do you prefer?

I think the 55 has better patterns, I'll find out soon.

Too bad it wasn't the one with the Disco presets. Would be awfully tempting.