Topic: Portable digital recorder recommendations...

What's the best portable digital recorder?

We're looking for something to record live/dj sets, ideally with built in storage. The Zoom H2/H4 was mentioned, but any other tips are greatly appreciated.

You're Fucking Out, I'm Fucking In

Re: Portable digital recorder recommendations...

well the zoom h2 only has a mini jack in so it's not so useful for that purpose. more of a handy 'on the fly' sampling device. the h4 is definitely better equipped for stereo line recording. there is also the maudio microtrack.
the best i'm not sure but my money would be on the korg mr1000. maybe a little too pro for that application.

the Zoom H2 works fine, cheap and excellent mics. I once recorded a proffesional classical trio and it sounded really good!
I dont see the problem with a mini-jack on such small device: (larger inputs only increase risc of damage and size)

TB or not TB

Thanks for the tips.

There's also the iKey, so we have lots to check out.

You're Fucking Out, I'm Fucking In

i have the h2 also and for sure the mics are decent for such a disposable looking recorder. i've recorded some nice atmospherics outdoors with it. but using 1/8 " stereo connector just seems like such a last resort. for live / dj sets it would be more ideal to have a straight mono connection for each channel.

Converts your Ipod into portable recorder . pair or XLR  and 1/4" inputs , phantom power & limiter  check http://www.alesis.com/protrack
looks amazing!