Topic: advice about good 8x8 midi interface?

Hi guys,

I currently have an old MotU MTP AV MIDI interface (printer cable version), but I think it has reached the end of his life..

Any of you with an 8x8 MIDI interface with extended MIDI transforms (routing, filtering) that can be as well connected to the computer (Win/OsX) ?

I was thinking about the MTP AV USB version, but I am pretty sure there is something else around...

any advice?

thanks smile

Re: advice about good 8x8 midi interface?

I don't really know of any other makers of interfaces that do routing and filtering, so I think you might be looking at the USB MTP AV to replace your old one.

or if the old one worked fine for your purposes... look for another one just like the one you already have, 2nd hand.

well I would move to the USB version for sure, parallel printer is definitely not supported on the Mac, and I do not
think that a RS488 adapter to USB would work out...

But then, since I do not need all that fancy SMTPE stuff I can maybe get the simple 8x8 midi version...

Or maybe the time has come that I build my own interface big_smile

I use the USB motu midi express 128 - which is an 8x8 with no patching. I'm very happy with it.

The Midisport 8x8
It's not the best in the world but this will do the trig and you can get one cheap.

http://www.sinemedia.com/upload/_up_img/1077248159045059.gif

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

I use a Motu MIDI Express 128 as well and soooo very happy with it, simple and solid.... I use it on a Mac with Logic.

I pull up this old one again just to know if anybody has experience with the ESI USB M8UXL 8x8 interface, with both Windows
and OsX... Looks it does not cost a fortune and can be used with any Os (even Linux).

it could be the sought replacement for my aging MTP AV, that I would recycle as a MIDI splitter for the monotimbrical synths
and the MIDI/CVgate interfaces...

a.

alex_d_steak wrote:

I pull up this old one again just to know if anybody has experience with the ESI USB M8UXL 8x8 interface, with both Windows
and OsX... Looks it does not cost a fortune and can be used with any Os (even Linux).

it could be the sought replacement for my aging MTP AV, that I would recycle as a MIDI splitter for the monotimbrical synths
and the MIDI/CVgate interfaces...

I've got one ..NO routing/filtering or anything like that! It's class compliant so it works out of the box without drivers (no driver cd in the box at all if I remember correctly), so you're on your own software-wise to have it route midi ins & outs.

BTW even my MOTU Express 128 doesn't have the routing panel anymore (like the one my parallel MTP used to have), you have to look at the Express XT or Timpiece AV if you need routing without a DAW or other sw.

Hope this helps

@lowlow

thanks for the input, that was really appreciated.
As for the routing, I can use the old MTP AV as a standalone box and the ESI as the computer interface.
I think I will get one...

thanks!
a.