Topic: dangerous short-circuit / loop ?

Well, I have a technical question about my mixing setup:
the situation is simple: turntables, CD players, and a computer plugged on a mixer as IN devices (computer with basic sound card, plugged with the green line out)
then I want to record everything, and so I have to plug it in the pink microphone line in of the same computer, is there's any problem with that ?

Re: dangerous short-circuit / loop ?

Shouldn't be.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

I ask because my amplificator right channel gone kaput after plugging it with the computer, via the tape out...
and there's kinda rumble noise until I unplugged it...
Now that the damage is done (just a fuse to change), I want to understand what I did wrong, and if I'll need to record everything on another computer to prevent such things...

first i'd prefer the soundcard's line in, the mic in should work with a pre-amp which isn't needed in this case.
could be the problem ? dunno, more intuitive approach over here...:)

recording on another computer would be better.

as herman says, don't use the mic input as it uses a preamp. this will result in either distortion or a really bad signal/noise ratio.. you\d have to either turn the output of the mixer way down, or the input level of the pc. not good. or buy a second sound card (could just be a little cheapo) and record on there.. the problem with your amp could be related to this, maybe your plug touched the chassis wrong or something and it popped the fuse.. kind of hard to say from a distance..

turn the amp off when making connections

thanks guys for the advices. I'll try with a 2nd computer.
I think my mistake was to plug the computer with the amp switched on, i feel stupid...
but this rumble sound might come from this kind of loop

8 (edited by Robotworks 2008-11-12 23:44:11)

Normally using the mic input could cause some sound distortion, but shouldn't destroy an amplifier, all the same...

So be careful: somtimes, computer towers or power supply are badly insulated. Regularly I get some 220 volts discharges in the fingers when I handle some connections on some computers. Connections that are yet supposed to be low voltage, like USB or even headphones... A earth/ground problem on the system can be very destructive.

I know people who destroyed lengendary synthesizers and good samplers that way hmm

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

9 (edited by Agence Internationale 2008-11-21 15:33:46)

it works !
now i just wait for my amp coming back from the manufacter.
In fact, the amp had a problem with the tape out connection, so they didn't charge me a penny, but after tests, connecting in the line in of the computer that I also use as an out makes problem, surely because I have a poor sound card, so the solution of plugging it to another computer is the thing to do.
thanks all for your help