Topic: RA: Bootlegs: Unauthorized at any speed

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=985

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

2 (edited by wasubot 2008-11-18 02:04:26)

Re: RA: Bootlegs: Unauthorized at any speed

interesting read, it makes me think of hard core vinyl addicts complaining about people playing mp3's and then just going out and buying bootlegs. It would seem that subverting official releases has been a part of the culture for a long time and in fact quite a trendy thing to do. I think in some ways digital is good if it gives people means to bypass time to market and allow an artist a more direct method to get monies from consumers. Im not sure if that is where that is at yet though. Put music up people pay and download seems to be the right solution I think it does need to be cheap enough so that people won't feel the need to seek it out for free rather. I do think beatport comes close to a good solution but really I wish clone offered all their stock in such a way and i mean all clone records then i dont have to deal with the 99.9999 crap records in my way on beatport, no to mention the really poor quality auditioning.

Maybe recording and releasing is a dying art form, possibly the 'new way' is the live set. I base this on the quality of releases these days and the fact there seems to be more musical and quality value from releases of old, except for a small amount such as we might find here- but that really accounts for quite a small number of releases and seems to be declining?. It could be dj'ing is on its last legs, it's something I've been thinking for sometime. Yeh a bit contentious just thinking out aloud.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing