Re: Stereo - "Somwhere In The Night" LP/CD (Minimal-Wave)

1000 records and 1000 cds, I wonder how long will they sell it..

lärm macht spass!

ordered

28 (edited by Central Services 2009-04-18 00:31:20)

aahhh! 9 pound postage for one cd what??  i thought it might be cheaper changing my address to my parents in uk but nope same as sweden

"positive mutation!"

^ shipping is expensive, that's not their fault

Vlam Aan

ordered

Mannequin Mailorder (italy) is going to have some soon

anyone wants to convince me that this sounds better then the explorer boot
you are welcome to it

'Sing while you may - lullabies for the new dark ages'

I can`t - because I don`t have the record. big_smile

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

e,r wrote:

anyone wants to convince me that this sounds better then the explorer boot
you are welcome to it

I got mine this week and I think it sounds great, very good sound quality imo.
The only original Stereo record I have is the Black Jack/Moonshine 12" and there's not much difference between that and the comp (except a bit louder on the 12" of course).

First time I listened to "Somewhere In The Night" on the comp, I was surprised by how different it sounded to the scratchy mp3s I'd only heard of it before... I always thought it was just a bad recording.

i don't have it yet, but all mw releases sound ace

you better believe george and me eric, were thustworthy big_smile

Vlam Aan

this is not a boot as far as i know. they got in contact with the original artists and made a proper release, probably even from the master tapes. plus, it doesn't look like a boot, it doesn't sound like a boot. to add some cream on top it comes on heavy (180g?) vinyl. haven't held such a quality record in my hands for a while.

38 (edited by soviet 2009-01-22 21:06:01)

e,r, I'm not sure from your post if you were thinking this release is a bootleg or what, but you should know that MW does not do bootlegs. And you can be sure to expect great sound quality from all MW releases, as an incredible amount of work goes into cleaning and mastering the various source materials, and heavy weight vinyl is always used.

Anyhow, James is correct. It's not a bootleg in any way, shape, or form. It's a proper release. And since you like the vinyl, be sure to check out the CD version, which has two tracks that don't appear on vinyl and comes with a very nice poster of the band.

holding it in my hands now..

the sound is good, and those glossy covers are super nice
that smell, it just reminds me off that day i bought my first stormtrooper action figure.

Vlam Aan

kuczera wrote:

that smell, it just reminds me off that day i bought my first stormtrooper action figure.

haha big_smile  i got the linear movement lp the other day and it had a strong smell of hockey cards.. probably because of the photo of the band. not as nice as the smell of fresh stormtroopers though.

Ii don't think it sounds that great.(Linear Movement does tho)
it's ok but somehow the mids are kind of muffled. maybe i had more expectation,,,
and not all the MW stuff has the same quality Kuc, did you get the M Dupont?
noticed the smell too, cricket world cup collecting cards from the 70's anyone?

'Sing while you may - lullabies for the new dark ages'

e,r wrote:

good to know, still waiting for my movement copy

e,r wrote:

did you get the M Dupont?

sold mine to a friend, it is in good hands now.

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

e,r wrote:

it's ok but somehow the mids are kind of muffled. maybe i had more expectation,,,
and not all the MW stuff has the same quality Kuc, did you get the M Dupont?
noticed the smell too, cricket world cup collecting cards from the 70's anyone?

you are right e,r the stereo doesn't sound top, but ok.. only bought it for "no more".. rest of the lp i don't play
linear movement sounds excellent
no i didn't get the dupont yet, so it sounds bad?

Vlam Aan

i don't think any of this is meant to be hi-fi music really

hans olof wrote:

+1

it's not like this is a forum about classical music... save the dirt!

hans olof wrote:

yep, good point

Vlam Aan

hey, I don`t think it is about hi-fi standards here. If someone is saying it is too silent, or noisy or whatever it means simply the state of the recording or mastering.

I don`t know the Stereo LP but I know the Dupont. And Dupont sounds okay, some songs do not sound so good. I know it depends on the old material, tapes etc. But I had no fun listening to.
I have no problem with some "dirty" recordings usually. Even my sound system is not the best.

These discussions are going round as always. Remember the topics about Explorer, Safety copies, Novamen...

btw, I say it again - I shit on 180 gr vinyls if the sound is just "okay"  wink

discogs sales 

48 (edited by kuczera 2009-01-23 10:40:48)

^ i'm happy with the stereo and with the explorer, that's the most important thing
and the latest safety copy sounds ok to me too

we sure can go on and on about sound quality and stuff, what's the use of that?
enjoy the music dusty or not

Vlam Aan

word smile

discogs sales 

captain duran wrote:

hey, I don`t think it is about hi-fi standards here. If someone is saying it is too silent, or noisy or whatever it means simply the state of the recording or mastering.

what i meant was that the kind of music on labels like mw is most of the time kind of lo-fi homerecordings, demos, tapes and such. sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it sounds bad. sometimes you can fix it with some mastering, sometimes not. maybe it's not about hi-fi standards, but often about the aesthetics and (un)professionalism of the original recordings. unlike for example disco music which is often made to sound good on loud volume in a club, with lots of neat mixing and mastering tricks, better recordings, etc.

ofcourse you can still fuck it up, make it too silent or whatever, but comparing it to a bootleg of a disco lp seems a bit off to me.