51 (edited by e,r 2009-01-24 03:19:27)

Re: Stereo - "Somwhere In The Night" LP/CD (Minimal-Wave)

hans olof wrote:

but comparing it to a bootleg of a disco lp seems a bit off to me.

que?
WTH are you kidding?
have you heard the Explorer rekid at all?  disco? far from it, maybe new romantics new wave (with the emphasis on
Visage/Ultravox kind of sound) but certainly not disco per ce.
yes  Enjaw might have been on Baldally sets, but it's in the same frame of mind where electro dj's where using tracks like: Mr. X/Pleasure Boys/Frequency 9 etc
if anything the synthpop of Stereo is much closer to disco (italo)
well in my mind them 2 rekids are not that far off each other really, and that's on both period & sound, but one is
a bootleg and cost round Au$20 the other cost more than Au$45 needless to say which i had more expectations off.
the point which I was trying to make is that I don't think that the explorer boot sounds as bad as some people tried
to make it look like

"enjoy the music dusty or not"
Amen to that Marco

"btw, I say it again - I shit on 180 gr vinyls if the sound is just "okay"
same here captain!

edit
while buying Stereo make sure you add Linear Movement to your cart. the 4 tracks on the A side alone worth double
the entry price smile

'Sing while you may - lullabies for the new dark ages'

^yeah i never understood the 180 grams vinyl story either
just some fancy shit they made up at a time collecting vinyl became hot again, as i remember
making all the old guyz run to the recordstore again big_smile like me

Vlam Aan

well i'd take a 180g over this any day:

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/flexisheet_1.jpg

even though it's easier to wipe your ass with this after shitting on the 180g record lol

@ JamesTRubotnik
oh, well it always depends on what is on the flexi disc. sometimes tracks are only available like this, so...
like for ex work that beat by ep: http://www.discogs.com/Experimental-Pro … se/1531815

flexi: the nightmare of collectors...
Imagine someone buying this out of price record... what to do with it, knowing that playing it is destroying it...

@ Agence Internationale
"flexi: the nightmare of collectors..."
-> i don't think so... i mean what you gonna do?

"Imagine someone buying this out of price record..."
-> i guess someone who's into that stuff, knows that this price is a joke... and won't buy it anyway!

"what to do with it, knowing that playing it is destroying it..."
-> recording it and playing it from cd or computer maybe?

57 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2009-01-24 13:21:29)

well, of course you have a point there, qob, this is why all those obscure 80s tape only releases will never go away either... until the last copies have physically degraded into dust.

good thing we have a newly awaken interest in these releases so they can be transferred to another media for preservation for coming generations. unless you don't have a bullet proof backup strategy.

maybe this is the point where organziations active in the field of culture should step in and do this professionally. or maybe not. it's hard to say. also, maybe we're all taking this far too serious and 50 years from now nobody will give a rat's ass anymore about all these releases.

which leads me to the conclusion that these matters should not be discussed with too much fervour. nobody except for (some of) us really cares anyways.

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

which leads me to the conclusion that these matters should not be discussed with too much fervour. nobody except for (some of) us really cares anyways.

well you can say/discuss everything with me, i don't mind as long as you don't make any jokes wink

your point of view is always clear

about the flexi's

we had a magazine in the netherlands in the eighties
called vinyl, included with every issue there's was a nice flexi
on that flexi mostly unreleased stuff from the bands issued that month
they are highly collectable and very expensive ( how obvious ) now

Vlam Aan

there was also the legendary "Flexipop" Mag from UK, some nice releases with rare versions/tracks of Soft Cell, Depeche Mode... I remember the sound was not so bad big_smile

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

http://www.discogs.com/John-Foxx-My-Face/release/254966

was it only released on flexi? from the mag?

Smash Hits mag

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

>e,r

ok, i might be wrong. it was a long time since i listened to the explorer lp. it seemed like disco to me back then. still, it's a bootleg.

kuczera wrote:

we had a magazine in the netherlands in the eighties
called vinyl, included with every issue there's was a nice flexi
on that flexi mostly unreleased stuff from the bands issued that month
they are highly collectable and very expensive ( how obvious ) now

this used to be like my bible when i was 16, Vinyl was IT when it came to new sounds
I remember i used to wait for my mom to ring our aunty in hilversum so she will pick one up for me
and keep it till the next time we go back over, then I used to get them to sit and translate the stuff to me.
when she bought one and it did not have the flexi in it once, I really spat the dummy, and cursed her,,
i remember at the time NOBODY had that demo mix of Cabaret Voltaire - Over & Over, it used to freak out
all my CV fan mates smile
Re: flexipop - there was Mark Almond&friends (cosey&sleazy) doing a version of TG"s  - Discipline yum!
and a few techno ones, best of which is the R Hawtin with the Allan Oldham comix on +8

'Sing while you may - lullabies for the new dark ages'

most complicated robot wrote:

http://www.discogs.com/John-Foxx-My-Face/release/254966

was it only released on flexi? from the mag?

I got that flexi. Great track.

L'omini delle macchinette

arrived today, loveit...& also the stamp on the mailercarton.

Prisoner of love wrote:

also the stamp on the mailercarton.

pure love

just arrived & listening smile