Topic: Brussels

Hello, I shall playing in Brussels in the next couple of weeks, just wondering if anyone could give me a low down on the city, what to do, where to go, where not to go etc!

Really looking forward to it, but don't really know anything about the place, cheers in advance!

Half-Man...Half-Wolf...

Re: Brussels

Chips n Mayonnaise.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

lived there 3 years , now just working

classic shit to see: comic book museum ,Museum of Antoine Wiertz (dark emo 19th century paintings)
the museum of musical instruments has some old synths you can listen too in the basement (through pre-recorded headphones )
full museum list here:
http://www.museesdebruxelles.be/en/home/

as for bars:   theres some good ones in the 1 mile radius around the 'grand place'
pro tip: very close to that place are also all the gay bars located. choose wisely before entering!

for dinner: dont go to the tourist trap 'rue de boucher'
for that i suggest searching beyond la bourse, crossing rue anspach (huge street that cuts brussels center in half)

i will try and  look into more guidelines later on

where and when are you playing btw?

i remember st.gilles as a nice neighbourhood.
ah and filthy schaarbeek ofcourse(chausee de l'amour ..hehe and behind gare du nord,lots of arabian shops,food etc..)
the market on south station is nice for fresh food,and next to it is place jeu de balle,nice second hand/antiques market.
may have a beer around st .gery (cafe centraal or zebra..puu quite a lot there)
well.last time ive heard about a underground tour in catacombs through the city,that sounds nice but cant find any info right now..

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

for any infos on going out there, contact DJ Stel.R (via facebook or myspace, he's not hanging  on the forum that much)

just google use-it brussels and you can check a guide for young people

don't forget, antwerp and ghent are less than an hour away

Excellent, cheers Robots, if anyones about on the 14th of Feb why not pop along!!!

http://i42.tinypic.com/30ucvae.jpg

Half-Man...Half-Wolf...

I liked the museum of musical instruments a lot. The collection is pretty big and got me a bit overwhelmed. You get the wireless headphones and you hear samples of the instruments on display as you approach.  I loved the museum building maybe even more - a classic of art nouveaux architecture.

9 (edited by SSM v3 2009-05-09 16:04:04)

So I've just moved to Brussels, probably going to be here for a month or two. Liking it so far. Based just near the Place Rogier and have been exploring around the bourse etc. Any additional tips for things to do, places to eat etc.? Also if any bots are about and fancy a beer, let me know. smile PS The upcoming party on the 29th looks awesome.

yes it's gonna be, see you there....

For sure!

Gonna be in Brussles from the 24th-27th. Anything noteworthy going on? Any places I should check out?

I may have a car. Day trip to Rotterdam is likely.

Thanks!

street waffle kiosks in brussels are out of this world

Ixelles in the south is a nice area, quite smart/bohemian but with nice parks and lakes. The grande place is awesome but of course super touristy. If you like Beer (who doesn't ?) there's a bar called Delerium just near it which has 2000 different types!

Food is great, definitely try some moules frites and the meat, especially the lamb, is probably the best I've had anywhere. For food probably best to avoid the super touristy food street off the grande place. The food is okay but the atmosphere is crap. Fin de Siecle in Ste Catherine is a good place to eat, huge tasty portion, very popular with bruxellois and it has a good atmosphere. There's also meant to be a really good stand up seafood place in Ste Catherine for fresh lunchtime mussels and oysters.

You've got to try the frites as well. The best two friteries are in place flagey in a little shack place by the lake. Long queues but worth it the other one's called something like Antoinette in Place Jourdan is meant to be the shizzle as well.

Place Sablon which is maybe 10 minutes walk northeast of the grande place has some nice bars and is a good place for a relaxed drink. Some nice looking restaurants as well.

For culture there's loads of stuff to do. At the moment they have lots of free outdoor music things happening so worth looking into them. I'd recomend the Magritte Museum as well but its just opened so the queues might be pretty ridiculous.

Phew, that's about it. I've just left having spent 5 weeks there. Its a cool place. Watch out for the weather though, definitely take a good umbrella.

SSM v3, thanks for all the tips!

I'm going with my special lady, who's family (from Finland) is meeting us there. Looking forward to the food and beer.

No probs, hope you have a good time. smile

hey

am in brussels for a few days. any record stores still alive here to check out ? also, any interesting parties happening fri/sat night ?

cheers

simon

18 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2011-06-04 03:13:52)

Arlequin is a good one, it's located at Manneke Pis so it's easy to find. Goupil-o-phone used to be a good one too but last time I went there there was only crap in the bins.

"A Real Music Hater"

cheers ray, will take a stroll down there this afternoon and then catch the match later.