Topic: amsterdam or rotterdam??

hey folks, i'm planning a trip at most likely the end of january/start of february, amsterdam was my first idea as i've never been nad i'm keen to go to holland but i've been hearing from a lot of people that rotterdam is a better idea, i've also had a few shouts for utrecht? to be honest i dont have the first clue as i'm pretty young and haven't done much travelling yet so any opinions on this would be much appreciated!

also, does anyone know of anything happening in any of these places at this time?

cheers

2 (edited by black shape 2009-01-18 12:17:37)

Re: amsterdam or rotterdam??

go the 20 to 22 of feb to rotterdam for ifm party.
personally, if you can't make it to that, i would still choose rotterdam everytime over amsterdam.
if you want some real culture and not just tourist spots, you'll have a btter time outside of amsterdam

lol your first post is for travel advice smile

well, i'd choose exactly the other way.. big_smile

no discussion about the ifm party, but there's a lot more to do in amsterdam than rotterdam. amsterdam, and utrecht too, have nice historic inner cities, and the least said about rotterdam's inner city the better.. for record stores, both cities have good ones though rotterdam has clone.

Amsterdam is really beautiful. In Rotterdam is not much left of old architecture. I would suggest visiting both cities.

they're only an hour apart by train if memory serves me correctly

Yeah, go to both.. The trains run pretty late too

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Both cities are pretty different but both are worth a visit. Go for both....

Amsterdam better for tourism, Rotterdam better for party.

cheers folks, general opinions seem to be for both which is a good shout lol, i didn't realise they were so close together, will just need to convince the folk i'm goin with now that its possible

Depending on how long you're staying you might as well visit Utrecht too, it's als about an hour by train from Rotterdam and about half from amsterdam.

I wouldn't rate utrecht a must see myself but if you have the time it's also got a really nice inner city with canals, but much less touristy than amsterdam.

distorientation wrote:

...but much less touristy than amsterdam.

And that is a big plus. In some areas in Amsterdam it feels like you are in an amusement park

STORY TIME

nice one, but the end is too silly. I expected more action, hoped for an extra ordinary amsterdam experience. those americans had enough just as the story began. big_smile  Wankers hehe

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

Utrecht is definitely worth a visit. One of the oldest towns in The Netherlands. The sixth of Ferbruary Legowelt plays a Live set in EKKO. Maybe nice to combine mid evil canals and the Dom tower with a rocking electro night.

Detroit aan de Ouwegracht

I enjoyed Rotterdam new year but to be honest I was expecting it to be a bit more rockin and naughty. If you do go stay in the Westin. Its a crackin hotel.

on my first visit to rotterdam many moons ago i visited the cube-houses by piet blom.  it was a pretty neat thing to do during the day...

http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/cubichouses/index.htm

everything but the kitchen synchotron

I dont know amsterdam that well myself, personally I would rather go to rotterdam (i live there). But yeah, the cities are totally different, rotterdam a modern workers city with an unusual look, amsterdam a historic amusement park with hell lots of tourists and internationals. In rotterdam I can tell yo that its very usefull if you know someone there, to show where the cool spots are since its quite difficult to find out if you're not a local. If youre just interested in historic sites, then Utrecht is the better Amsterdam since you can look at everything without being asked for the way by some stoned tourists every 2 minutes wink

hmm, funny to see that a lot of Rotterdamsters still hate Amsterdam, and keep bringing on the same cliche's..
Amsterdam is nice, much to see, but just dont go to the tourist/red-light spots were all Rotterdamsters go.. wink
(btw: I hardly go to the centre but last week I noticed most tourist are gone, it's pretty quiet in the city)

Rotterdam is nice, bigger but less historic, go there if you know someone that can show you around.
Its also easier to find record-shops in Rotterdam (xspecially if you are an italo/electro fan)

Utrecht is OK but smaller and not that interesting, better go south then if you like 'gezelligheid'.. (Maastricht/Eindhoven/DenBosch)
Wich btw are really small city's compared to any European major city..

But if you have a short stay better check out both of Amsterdam and Rotterdam.. Public transport is expensive but OK..

TB or not TB

subk wrote:

on my first visit to rotterdam many moons ago i visited the cube-houses by piet blom.  it was a pretty neat thing to do during the day...

Speedy-J had his studio in one of those, dunno if he still does..

TB or not TB

Freek wrote:
subk wrote:

Speedy-J had his studio in one of those, dunno if he still does..

He still has.

In de disco draait de deejay
De hele nacht discomuziek
Waardoor er in de harten van het publiek
Een verlangen ontstaat naar sex en romantiek

I love Rotterdam - i'll be back some day.

Robothek - radio for robettes and robots www.facebook.com/robothek

There are a lot of cities between Amsterdam and Rotterdam which have an old center and are nice to walk around.

heading over to Amsterdam this weekend, any good night spots for a dance?

http://www.trouwamsterdam.nl/category/agenda/

Detroit stuffs in Trouw, is a very cool venue.

yeah, go to planet delsin in Trouw, highely likely to be a good night out.