Re: mastering query

If you want the sound of tape but don't have the room for a tape machine the
RUPERT NEVE DESIGNS PORTICO 5042 is a good alternative. I tried it briefly and it actually sounds alot like tape. I guess all tape machines sound different so who am I to say that the one Mr. Neve had in mind when he designed this little sweety didn't sound exactly like it does. I wouldn't mind using it on the master but since we have a nice studer I think i would stick to that. But for someone that has a limited amount of space for studio setup i guess it would be the prefect solution. I know a band that uses it in their live setup and their concerts always sound smooth and warm.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

I saw the Portico in action and I was well impressed, but it was out of my budget at the time (GBP 1100 I think). I wonder if you can get it cheaper nowadays...

can any one recommend a good tape recorder for someone with limited space, and no idea how to maintain a reel to reel?

no mastering here, but also no releases. hehe

I am a big fan of (analog) compression. But moderate, i use a focusrite mixmaster on the master (but actually using it more as a limiter).  I have used izotope ozone though (not for tracks but more to make crappy recorded live recordings a bit more beefy), it does make a difference. The reason i don't use mastering on my tracks because i do so much processing before the final recording, and i like the sound i have allready.

The only reason i would do proper mastering is if i would prepare for vinyl. (fase shit etc.).

Use tape to get tape saturation.. that sounds logical.. but then you only have "offline" saturation, right? Or is it also possible to route audio through tape device in real-time, to get this lovely tape smudge?

So with a 'normal' compressor/limiter it would be possible to get a bit pumped up tape-ish sound by using moderate ratio?

Heil CBS

31 (edited by Poodle 2009-01-31 16:24:12)

ramos wrote:

can any one recommend a good tape recorder for someone with limited space, and no idea how to maintain a reel to reel?

nakamichi dragon is the one most talked about. bu i guess you can find much cheaper tape decks that can do a fine job. like a nad hifi deck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvSgfFNptuQ[/youtube]

also good tape on ebay is really expensive

Herr Flick wrote:

Use tape to get tape saturation.. that sounds logical.. but then you only have "offline" saturation, right? Or is it also possible to route audio through tape device in real-time, to get this lovely tape smudge?

So with a 'normal' compressor/limiter it would be possible to get a bit pumped up tape-ish sound by using moderate ratio?

of course you can. any 3-head deck will do this.. you'll hear the sound from the playhead right away. only thing is you'll have some delay (logical, as the play and record head are a few cm apart) the delay depends on distance and tape speed..

Herr Flick wrote:

If you want it as an effect you constantly hear even when your not recording, you'd best stick to a compressor (I hear great reviews of the FMR Audio RNC compressors, or a DBX166, they're cheap and supposedly good) or a vst tape-satuartion emulator plug in like Erroraudio mentioned. Maybe a tube compressor? Dunno... But for monitoring dj mixes I reckon that's your best shot.

ramos wrote:

Get a revox....!

Or the portico 5042.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

35 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-01-31 21:18:38)

ramos wrote:

For consumer recorders the Revox A77 is the best they ever build, not the B77 like most people think. The Revox PR99 and Tascam 32 and 42 are also good budget semi-pro recorders, as are the otari 5050's. Tascam also build a smaller version of the 32 series, the 22 series, they use 7inch reels instead of 10.5 inch and are thus smaller (but they can still record on 15ips, which is cool). They are relatively easy to find and there's people that can service them because you can still get spare parts relatively easy.

Maintaining a reel recorder is easy, finding one in a good shape or restoring one isn't as easy. For maintenance all you need is alcohol, cotton swaps and a demagnetizer. For servicing you'd also need a calibration tape, a service manual and knowledge, so I reckon you're better off leaving that to an expert. For Revox/Studer, Teac/Tascam and Otari experts are easier to find.

I would suggest getting a restored recorder rather than a cheap ass one, cause there's really too much to be aware of. I'm writing a little 'article', a sort of glossary on what to look for when you go look for a reel recorder, plus some info on how reel recorders work. It''s almost finished, I'll post pdf somewhere this week if you want.

That would be ace Brian...

@brian: i wrote a whole tape article in interface magazine a few months ago, including a report from the RMG tape factory, the last one to make tapes.

doesn't the b77 have double speed compared to the a77?

Not from itself, no. The B77 is also standard 7,5ips, but it could be modded. The PR99 is sort of a 15ips version of the B77, but the A77 is the one that actually has the best S/N level and best dynamic level. Well, I guess it only matters when you start measuring that stuff, but still.

I'd kove to read that RMG article. I'm so happy those guys exist!

ehm.. my b77 does 15 ips standard. and i have the mk2 version with pitch control, where you can add another 10%...

i'll send you some scans of the article, but a subscription to the mag is not that expensive.. big_smile

For reel recorders don't forget the Phillips N4520, often overlooked but one of the best ever made (its a high end master recorder not to be confused with the cheaper phillips N models), there is a 2 track version that records at full speed 38 cm/s. Its way better then all the TEACS and Tascams I had and if you are lucky you can find it quite cheap in Phillips country Holland...but I don't know if they were ever available in Australia.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT1 … N4522.html

41 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-02-01 17:24:13)

rude66 wrote:

ehm.. my b77 does 15 ips standard. and i have the mk2 version with pitch control, where you can add another 10%...

i'll send you some scans of the article, but a subscription to the mag is not that expensive.. big_smile

Then you have a B77HS (High Speed), which indeed is 15ips. The regular B77 (the one you mostly find in classifieds) is standard 7,5 but could be modded.

edit: I have to correct myself. The MkII is indeed standard 15ips, there was no HS version of that one. Sorry, my bad.

I know a subscription isn't expensive, but I know somebody who writes for them and... wink
No seriously, I already have a subscription to tape-op, which normally is enough for me. Other mags I just buy whenever there's something I'd like to read (but I clearly missed out on this one).

Btw, found a German article where the A700, A77 and B77 are compared to eachother: http://www.theimann.com/Analog/Review.pdf

thats an interesting comparison article.

yes, i have tape-op too, i only wish they'd wrote more about.. aehm.. tape. but superb insights into how some legendary producers work..

Brian is absolutely right, rather buy a serviced unit than not, as i did with my revox b77. When i first put the thing on it alsmost exploded in my face (dust but i believe the guy boobytrapped it). I did buy new heads though, but i am still looking for an adress to get it serviced. So, if anyone knows a place that doesn't charge 250 to start with in NL please let me know.

mr pauli wrote:

i'm afraid i still don't really know how to use a compressor...
and in that case it's always best to not use one.
So i never do.

You don't need compression, the mpc already compresses for you tongue

Here's some good stuff about mastering,also the plugin is really nice :
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html

I reckon the 250 start place was Audio survivors? If not: http://www.audiosurvivors.nl but I think they ain't cheap either. I don't who does Revox in NL. Perhaps searching or asking here might help: http://forum.audiofreaks.nl/index.php?board=3.0

basically anyone with some knowledge of tape recorders can service a revox if you have the service manual..

why do you need to have it serviced? anything wrong with it?

47 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-02-02 23:49:01)

Speaking of servicing yourself... Ruud, remember you once send me that link that Mick found for test tape? You still have it somewhere? Does RMG supply test tape by any chance?

edit: linkje toch nog terug gevonden... lang leve gmail smile http://www.bluthard.de/index.php?testbaender-1

@brian: yep, that was it.. hard to forget that name of the guy.

i asked the guys at RME about test tape. i don't think they do their own, as their tape is exactly matched to be other, existing tape.. so you can use those test tapes..

As i seem to have hit the epicenter of tape loving robots in this thread i'll post it here:

If any of you is interested in this Pioneer CT-F 1250 cassette deck contact me.
I prefer a trade for some other nice gadget.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/mrpauli/pioneerCT-F1250.gif

From what i read this is supposed to be as close to a reel to reel recorder as it gets.

It is working but it needs some looking after, because when a tape is getting to the middle it starts
wining and playing slower.  New belts ?

Can anybody awnser this question:

Say I would like to press this track on vinyl, would it be possible? (due to the heavy panning in the bassline).

Much appriciated!