Re: mastering query

SSL 4000 G master bus compressor
emulation presets for Logic Pro 8 Compressor
Posted on the cbs but good for here too.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co … nload.html

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

The way I see the situation is like this:

I need to think about making some kind of money from at least some tracks online. So I stick inside the digital range of 20-20Khz for 1 mastering session. I make sure it will sound good in mp3 format (which licks sweaty nut sack).
Also here in Southern Cali almost nobody is playing Real Vynal anymore. The only cats that play Vynil are the bigger named acts or when you guys come into town. I don't Dj myself but as a kid when I did the record to me always tended to have more Mid and Bass. So with that session I use Multicompressors, parametric EQ's, 31-band EQ's, and BBE exciters. I burn alot of CD's of that session and play it in different friend's Car stereo systems, in Ipods (mp3). I walk into stores like circuit city, best buy and bump it in there. Like that I hear if I need to fine tune. It is also cheap promotion in there because the youth always trips out when I bump new shit.

For that seesion I seem to always be using this chain in WaveLab.

1. 31-band EQ
2. 10-band Parametric waves EQ
3. Maxx-bass
4. Multi-compressor
5. C4-compressor, waves
6. BBE exciter (soft)
7. PSP stereo Enhancer
8. PSP Vintage Limter

Last Chain tool: Waves L3 Limiter.

Not that all of them get used but I have them ready in case i need them.

For my personal stash I make another Mastering session that runs through different Tube Preamps and get the lows going below 20hz if possible for the material. I am a sucker for Exciters also. It sounds good in your Car stereo.
I used to really start from scratch but now as I am getting older and Time is going faster I am simply running the "digital" master through real gear->tubes, furman EQ's, etc. Little by little I am just catering to the youth and the medium/gadgets they are using. I know it is Dixx, but I am in financial survival Mode.

I am a poorman, so I don't have anything valued higher then 2000.00 in here. But when I used to work as a computer tech and I used to save the Hollywood Film scoring crowd from there fuckups or hard drive failures I would let them hear some tracks and they would ask "where do you have it mastered?, what softsynths are those I never heard such sound." I'm don't use fully analog, I mix both mediums. I feel these days you have to mix both mediums if you want to make some cash. Because analog is just to much sound and hard to mix it all together sometimes in a mix.

Yeah it is critical that the mixdown get done proper because other wise your just smashing madness.
I laugh when the HipHop crowd here in SOuthern Cali calls a Shitty mixdown "Dirty and real" or "it's just Raw Real Hip Hop". The Mastering Houses here make a fortune off the HipHop crowd, I think they just use a Limiter and thats it.

My friend has this site up called www.dopetracks.com, it's mainly for hiphop. I am the only cat busting out electrical their.

You robots should flood the beat section with material.

Planet of Cevo

dude, you are using more of that stuff than i ever have in my whole life!

if you want to make some cash as you say, what is essential is a good track. if its good enough, it will be picked up even if it is taken from a 4th generation cassette copy...

79 (edited by rsprats 2009-02-23 17:55:37)

must be that west coast sound of U.S.A.  wink

rude66 wrote:

dude, you are using more of that stuff than i ever have in my whole life!

if you want to make some cash as you say, what is essential is a good track. if its good enough, it will be picked up even if it is taken from a 4th generation cassette copy...

Your right I understand I am getting carried away with the processing but there is alot of opportunity here with me being near hollywood not so much about getting a label contract but car commercials, video game music, etc. I'm getting older and one day I want to have some stable money.

What i'm trying to say is unfortunately here in this glamour town the more clear and shine you have they get all impressed, and if you have cool melody that's a plus. Here in the states we are having an uneducated epidemic, it is getting worse. As long as you have "Yo, yeah, Yo yo, Yeah... Yeah, I feel it" in clarity (I'm joking) it's good to go. Haha.

So yeah it's a west coast thing. Home of the gansta whistle, beyond 100khz.

What really sucks here in the states is they tend to judge the production itself not really the musical content. Just look at our radio scene.  You international folks are simply blowing us away in musical content.

Planet of Cevo

He's right, it's all about clean ass pro-tools sound in the U.S. (commercially).. but it's kind of like that everywhere i guess when you talk about commercial music. 

Though, if you explore the underground southern rap world you can find some dirty gems.   

I still love to listen to all the old school three6mafia shit... underground demons ..all the dj paul juicy j mixtapes etc.   Sounds like it was recorded on a fucking talkboy or something.

you're right when it comes to the whole hollywood commercial music thing. but let me tell you something: to get into that scene, it's all about who you know and what asses you're willing to kiss than how good you are in making music. i've known several people who did this sometimes for big clients, but only a few were willing to put up with the bullshit you get from these guys, especially when you start out. and as audio is on the absolute bottom of the list everywhere, it still doesn't pay that well.

as for real music, it's absolute nonsense. there are plenty of US artists that make music just like we do, and that even release on our labels. have you heard anything by stinki, guys like james t. cotton, labels like nation or UR? the whole scene around guys and bands like matmos, kid606 or dntel? not exactly clean-cut radio friendly protools music..
it's like me saying the same about holland if i only listen to the commercial top 40 music and trance thats made here..

83 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-02-23 20:49:18)

It is not easy at all to produce commercial quality music (speaking production-wise here). I dont need polished shit like on charts but sometimes electronic music producers could put a little more effort in mixing etc. The musical content might be great but ...Its not as easy as it sounds!!! I respect many prog hous producers like Deadmau5 because of this ..Their production is just fucking killer. Of course the music is shit but..

i can only speak for myself, but i really don't want that kind of sound. i think a lot of us here that use this kind of lo-fi sound, do this on purpose. with the equipment we have, it'd be no problem to get some sort of polished, hyped up production, but i personally really hate it...

85 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-02-23 21:10:45)

I know you know your shit but for the majority I think it is just a lack of skill ... I think its bollocks to say that they do it deliberately lofi, thats just because they dont have the skill to do it better. And I say it again but its fucking difficult to do that sort of commercial production. One can do lo-fi sounding productions but in a polished and nice way too smile It seriously takes time and patience to learn to produce well. Or let's say learn to produce well in my opinion of course smile But seriously some of the tracks released in the past you cant even play them in a club because they sound so bad. The music is great but in club it sounds so weak. Of course it depends what you want in the end... And well in the end music matters anyway more than the production ..

I never even had protools. HAHA. I think it is really outdated now. I'm using the E-MU cheapo stuff. I think they have the same DAC's though.

I've never made a dime off any audio so I have no experience in that area. I guess I am just a sucker for the clarity. I'm a mountain biker so the jams I make are really just for that in my Headphone Digital Player. I'm a nobody in audio. I just laid out my 2 pennies here in this discussion to help score the Ounce Sack. LOL.

I have made money off electronics. Analog clones, that kinda stuff, I'm a somebody in that scene.

The next time you guys come into Southern Cali. Go hiking at "Echo Mountain" or Chainey Trials. It is the best view in southern Cali when you get to the top. It is Higher then Cloud Level.

Everybody keep making Jams.

Planet of Cevo

Blue Maquina, Maybe you should go on gearslutz to further your quest for bumping music, they have a lot of info there.

@kenzaburo: what you think sounds great and what others think sounds great, can be two totally different things. i for one was never interested in how my music sounded in clubs, or if tracks had a dj friendly intro, or whatever. i made my stuff the way i wanted it to sound, and i just don't care what anyone else thinks of it. if you want to play it in a club, cool.. if you don't, also cool. we don't make that kind of dance music anyway..

if you look at the stuff that is now considered classic, anything from old chicago stuff to unit moebius, a lot of that stuff was made with 2 pieces of string and a cardboard box, so to speak. i'm not saying that production is not important, because to a certain degree it is.. but i do feel its much more important to write good tracks, or concentrate on trying to make your own type of sound and not focus too much on what others are doing or what the so-called pro's tell you to do...

I agree with rude.. it's all in the ears of the beholder. 

Production is indeed important..  but if everything out there sounded super clean then music would simply be not as interesting.   You are entering a "cookie cutter" ideal realm or something... or have only listened to music produced recently. 

Your "skill" statement is quite absurd, kenzaburo.

i agree with rude & rsprats too, and throwing in the fact that playing tracks in a club can open up a whole other set of parameters including the sound system and how technical the dj is in utilizing said sound system.

worship the potentiometer.

yeah, after reading alot of this stuff let me see if I can sum it up.

1. bad ass track
2. record to tape
3. beam to cd
4. beam back to CPU
5. apply a little E.Q.
6. save money you were going to spend on mastering to buy new hardware
7. fire up a blunt for job well done!

right yall?

victory blunt

if people were attempting to make "clean, club quality" tracks, do you think they would use analog gear? would they buy reel-to-reels? would they use hardware sequencers and analog mixing consoles? the answer is: fuck no. it's way more expensive to use external hardware than to make a record on ableton. there is an art to doing it this way, and that art is what this forum is based upon. kenzaburo, you're on the wrong website, my friend.

94 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-02-25 20:03:57)

Very high level mastering studios that make club quality tracks (as you put it) still use tape for it's great sound! Robert Babicz for example masters a lot of german techno/minimal stuff and he runs the stuff through tape and some vintage compressors! And that stuff sounds awesome in club. It's not lo-fi and it has this great analog quality (imho). I think we just have different concept about what is a great sound... And I respect that.

I tend to love both the dynamics of 80's electronic music and Robert Babicz's mastering prowess, and both are dynamics that I aspire to smear my tracks with once I get there. It's interesting to note that most of the Italo classics between 84-88 became more polished - a typical Italian Pop trait. Listen to Gazebo's stuff or Ryan Paris and you're there, as opposed to, say, Clay Pedrini or Fockewulf 190.

In short, today's polished sounds are tomorrow's most desired flavour. Robert Babicz's sound will still be sought after in 20 years' time...

Funkbox wrote:

yeah, after reading alot of this stuff let me see if I can sum it up.

1. bad ass track
2. record to tape
3. beam to cd
4. beam back to CPU
5. apply a little E.Q.
6. save money you were going to spend on mastering to buy new hardware
7. fire up a blunt for job well done!

right yall?

Why beam to cd if you can beam it right to the CPU and on CD's from there?
I've got a SPL Vitalizer II between the tape and computer

my ultimate goal is still to make a real AAA recording, by mastering to vinyl directly from the tape master.

of course there are different kinds of analogue sound, a 100.000 dollar big vintage neve console cannot compete with our d&r's, tascams and soundcrafts. just like there is a big difference between your internal pc soundcard and top of the line apogee converters.

here's a link to real, all-out analogue sound heaven: http://www.tapeproject.com/

98 (edited by Rproductions 2009-02-26 01:52:31)

What do you guys mean by beam to cd anyway?
I agree on the victory blunt hehe

I think like in star trek ?

rude66 wrote:

my ultimate goal is still to make a real AAA recording, by mastering to vinyl directly from the tape master.

i would like to do a direct to disk recording once, just jam onto vinyl, no recording inbetween...