Topic: step down transformer recommendations

220V -> 110V

anyone has a favourite or one to avoid?
it's for a juno-60 (30 watt).

cheers

Re: step down transformer recommendations

The newer ones are usually smaller and less noisy, not sure of makes though.

just get one that has enough power reserve, otherwise you'll burn it out. for a juno, anything basically goes..

nice one maties. think i'll get a 45W in that case.

i'm now considering switching the voltage internally. has anyone done this successfully?

Armin's (?) where I bought my 106 in new york did it for me, but then he used to rackmount 106s for a living! I've got a really small and quiet transformer for my 60 so don't really see the need to change it.

it depends. i've done it with several machines, where its basically just resoldering one line inside the power supply. no problem at all. but if you want to change power supplies, thats a different matter..
just open the 106 and see if there is a triple bridge close to the power supply that says something like 110/220/240 with one of these bridges soldered.. if so, just resolder the one with the correect voltage and done..

well i've got a 60 and yes it does have that multi tap voltage selector thing with the jumpers. it looks very straight forward.
do i need to change the fuse as a result?

ronin wrote:

do i need to change the fuse as a result?

In almost any conceivable device, the fuse will be on the secondary side of the transformer, so voltages (and respective currents, which are what matters for fuses) will be the same as when used with 110 V. No need to change, hence.

10 (edited by ronin 2009-01-28 19:07:32)

thanks smile,
one more question... when wiring a plug with wires Green (earth), Black and White which one is the live?

nevermind. the consensus says that black is hot.

you can just look on the fuse, it'll say the voltage on it.. it may have been replaced once with a 110 one..

12 (edited by maurits 2009-01-28 23:11:31)

hmmm, I have to restrict my prior statement: Contrary to what I've said, I've just found a device where the fuse is actually on the primary side (a lab power supply). So I'd recommend just to be on the safe side to figure out on what side of the transformer the fuse is. If it's on the secondary side, don't worry, leave it alone. If it's on the primary side (i.e., somewhere in the mains circuit), you'll have to halve the amperage when going 110 -> 230, because the currents you'll see on the primary side will only be half as high when using 230 V. So if you don't change a primary fuse, then you'll run the risk that a malfunctioning device will burn twice the power without the fuse breaking, with potentially more collateral damage.

Regarding a voltage rating on fuses: That doesn't say much, it's probably just the maximum voltage up to which the fuse has been tested/approved; functionally, there should not be much difference between voltage ratings. If we're talking about these little glas fuses with a wire that can melt - these are usually rated 250 V, at least the European ones. The important figure for a fuse is only the amperage at which it breaks.

i've had it powered up since around 7pm and it's behaving perfectly normally. it does have a glass fuse between the mains and the transformer. so i just need to half the A of the fuse.

ronin wrote:

so i just need to half the A of the fuse.

exactly! Great to hear it's working...

glass or ceramic. does it really matter?

hm; have never actually seen ceramic fuses, they seem to be for higher currents. If we're talking 30 Watts, then the required fuse rating is probably no more than .5 A or even .25 A, which would usually come as glas fuse.

If you want to be precise though: fuses come as "fast" and "slow" variants, you may want to match the old fuse.

this has definitely been more worthwhile than getting a step down adapter.