Topic: graphic design advice, suggestions

I'm designing the identity of a new record label, which will release house music on vinyl. Here some proposals I made for them. If you have some advice or suggestions, or this yes and that not please post it here.

http://www.danielebarbiero.com/TANZSTUBE.pdf

I designed only the logotype for now and a possible application for the log side on the record label. These are just one possible application per proposal, obviously each record will have a different subject, if illustrative, or letter or number, if typographic.

Re: graphic design advice, suggestions

I liked the logo withe flash "z". Also i liked the triangular label with the planet.

yee the triangular with thee planet looks good to me aswell.
well dont know if it fits..dont get a "house " feeling...(if i have to)
i like the one with the chairs (?) aswell,but i would use another font for it,more "cozy" font maybe..
tanzstube brings up comfortable and warm cozy feelings,why not use these aspekts in the layout.

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

those chairs reminds me of http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=32663   looks cool, but I don't like the typo in this design. It looks lost, maybe incorperate the text in the illustration, same style..

I like the one with triangle and planet the most.

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

galaga:

i like the one with the chairs (?) aswell,but i would use another font for it,more "cozy" font maybe..
tanzstube brings up comfortable and warm cozy feelings,why not use these aspekts in the layout.

perhaps another type, yes, I was thinking too about it, in relation with secessionism or jugenstjil. The sleeve will be brown cardboard with white silk screened type on it. I'm expecting warmth from there. And I think such constructivist type will work well there.

Anyway the design is already a bit changed, it has a progressive number on the back ground, same typeface, 1 for the first release, 2 and so on.

GM:

those chairs reminds me of (adult - dispassionate furniture) looks cool, but I don't like the typo in this design. It looks lost, maybe incorperate the text in the illustration, same style..

The illustration is just an example, based on lissizky constructivism, for the following ones. This means that based on "stube" living room there will be different drawings on each record, a sofa, a table, a lamp, a door. The type I imagine should be positioned in the same place even when it doesn't fit to a particular illustration. For the adult record, I've been pointed there already, but is a 10 years old record and the overall feeling of this new identity has not much to do with a single chair, more with the whole living room, so I'm not particularly afraid of that.

I believe using the same style for the type, as for the illustration, it becomes too redundant.

TRIANGLE AND PLANET:

Which logotype fits better, the whole name or just the mark with the SZ?

I liked the left one on the 4th page

thanks, but it is not meant to be fixed, the structure and the dimansion remain the same, as for the letters T and S, but the pattern and the color vary from record to record, these are just examples of what can comes out.

Buraque wrote:

I liked the left one on the 4th page

ditto. (i also like the one on page 9 too)

worship the potentiometer.

doesnt scream house to me

ratsnake wrote:

doesnt scream house to me

don't think it has to scream house, can be more subtle. what do you get out of them. None works?

most complicated robot wrote:

TRIANGLE AND PLANET:

Which logotype fits better, the whole name or just the mark with the SZ?

Which ever, really. The composition allows for both, in my opinion. Would have to see it with the lightning logo too smile

i'm with Techn

13 (edited by ratsnake 2009-01-27 18:23:42)

i like the one with the moon. would be nice to parade a record like that (if it has a stormer on it of course). However I dont like the flipside with the tanz stube logo. Id rather see both words the way you did the last logo type..but without the red line completely

the "ZS" logotype on the triangle moon side, i read more as TZ since ive read the word before..or if i saw the words earlier like on the sleeve or on the flipside, i would see it as two Zs making a fat T letter or something..maybe you need a line down the middle or just fill the inner triangle in dunno..looks fine to me like some alien symbol

rant: for the love of tb303s dont rip some random sci fi paintings to print on the labels...or if you painted that ignore this line

@ QOB

... "but why ZZ on top of the planet one? it should be TS because it's TanzStube and not ZanZstube!
the right one on the 4th page is also not bad. those thin and fad lines are somehow moving, that's a nice idea. but then again not TZ"

It is not ZZ, it is ZS, the end of Tanz and the beginning of Stube, obviously the S as been redrawn to match the Z.

... "the right one on the 4th page is also not bad. those thin and fad lines are somehow moving, that's a nice idea. but then again not TZ but TS."

It is TS, only redrawn geometrically, to have more consistency in the design. And gain, this is only one possible example of how the middle space can be. It will be based on the infinite possibilities of Letratone patterns (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/293 … 3c.jpg?v=0)

... "and let the living-room pictures speak for themself."

you mean real photographic pictures?

@ RATSNKE

... "i like the one with the moon. would be nice to parade a record like that (if it has a stormer on it of course). However I dont like the flipside with the tanz stube logo.

music it will be in this direction : http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =155044327

The other side is not the flip side it is just another proposal that was quite similar to be putted together with the other. The flip side of the moon will have the same thing, again here, it is ZS, but also a strange T.

... "Id rather see both words the way you did the last logo type..but without the red line completely"

just one typeface should be enough, you right.

... "looks fine to me like some alien symbol"

or some ancient space greek thing, I love the sect feeling on that label with that symbol

Would have to see it with the lightning logo too smile

isn't it too much? flashes moon, triangle, alien symbols...

well I assumed the lightning logo would be replacing the "alien symbol". And I think it's ok, one is the logo, and one is the label design, right? As long as it's small? But I guess that's up for discussion.

put some like starget pyramids on it and shit and maybe some big ass awesome borg spacestation on the sleeve...and my music on it

lol! and a dolphin wink

haha yeah...and that indian weight lifter smurf

@ most complicated robot
"It is not ZZ, it is ZS, the end of Tanz and the beginning of Stube, obviously the S as been redrawn to match the Z."
-> yeah, i know... i saw that only later... when i already did the post! so if you do that with the Z and the redrawn S you should also write somewhere on the label the word tanzstube like that (with the redrawn S) then it is more clear.

"you mean real photographic pictures?"
-> ja, maybe... i think you can find lots of cool pics from the 50's and 60's on the internet. it's always nice if you have a picture side and a info side (especially when there is no cover), i always liked that!

"just one typeface should be enough, you right."
-> yeah, one typeface... and maybe tanz in bold letters and stube in light letters.

@ QOB

I was already working on a sophisticated picture / type solution, but some problems got on the way, image copyright to mention the biggest one.

have a look:
http://www.danielebarbiero.com/LABELS.pdf

solution was abandoned along the way, so it is not finished

Royalty Free stock 4tw

they suck

you suck

the one on page 6 ( both)

like that left one the most, very much "trans-europe-express" style