Topic: worst concert/live perfomance and dj set

Lets get this topic back, so we can bitch about other artist.

I Went to Afrika Bambaataa show last night, it was horror!
He was there with tony touch, large professor and some other old school rap artist.
One thing is, i don't like rap concert (old men in teenage clothes yelling "put your hands up, put your hands up)
But i came there in the hope of hearing Bam playing obscure records. But no...
He played on his Serato bullshit and only overplayed mainstream stuff, like james brown etc. etc.
I really don't get it. I know he has one of the most impressive record collection, and he was always the man to find breaks no one had heard before.
I guess he think that us scandinavians doesn't know better anyway ...

Dancin' for freaks and fame!

Re: worst concert/live perfomance and dj set

I've seen Bambaata 2 years ago in Hamburg and it was the same. He was playing boring hits and also made many mixing mistakes with his Serato setup. Really unpleasant. He should play vinyl.

I saw DJ Stingray once and it was the worst mixing ever. Every mix was miles off. It was as if it was a random somebody from the street, with a skimask on.
but..strangest thing was that every record was the best drexciyan stuff I have ever heard and the bad mixing didn't matter anymore

I saw Bambaataa his mixing was pretty sweet and his voice sounds so fuckin cool!
but he played urban cookie collective ive got the key......which made me sad.

my gig last friday night. time to sell my records... i cant play shit....:(

6 (edited by nixxon 2009-03-05 15:51:01)

i wouldn't but i think he's amazing even though he made a crappy set. thats the difference between you and me i know how to seperate the music from the person. wink

edit: this was a response to a deleted post

Dancin' for freaks and fame!

Serato sucks, mp3's suck more ....

Worst dj set i experienced was Arthur Baker for the same reasons

Acta est fabula....

nixxon wrote:

He was there with tony touch, large professor and some other old school rap artist.
One thing is, i don't like rap concert (old men in teenage clothes yelling "put your hands up, put your hands up)
He played on his Serato bullshit and only overplayed mainstream stuff, like james brown etc. etc.
I really don't get it. I know he has one of the most impressive record collection, and he was always the man to find breaks no one had heard before.

same was at EXIT this year

Yeap, Afrika Bambaataa sucked hard when i saw him a few years ago in Deventer. There where also a lot of people with the same zulunation t- shirt, clinging together on the dancefloor. That gave me even more the creeps, like the where some kind of cult.

I really like DJ Stingray, though.

mekonin wrote:
nixxon wrote:

same was at EXIT this year

yes, we were wondering about the neverending beat while changing tracks. I asked overdose if he is spinning with 3 player maybe, but if it was the serrato thing I would understand...

about the tracks he played I would`nt be so hard with him. He played maybe to 50000 people at Exit and of course all the party hits for the masses.

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

its not advanced at all.. on the contrary, it's too easy...

serato is cool, but just use wavs or flac or aiff just not mp3 it sounds like drumming on your empty shoebox.

serato making it possible to scratch on the track yoo made that afternoon is awesome, haven't got it yet though but someday i will.

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

serato is cool, but the idea is ripped off and WAY overpriced considering what you get (just a standard usb audio device). use xwax instead.

http://www.xwax.co.uk/

Monkey see, monkey do.

don't believe the hype bias they are trying to sell you mp3 as a format, maybe if you have superduper highend blah blah you won't hear the difference but mp3's in general really have less lowend and less definition when i compared it.
to me it sounded a lot like minidisc compression, the sound is good but different.
the spectrum sounds narrower.

who were those professionals, where did you see that?

15 (edited by Woody Aki 2008-08-06 21:52:42)

Bias wrote:

technology is to make things easy.
it's incredible people who claim to be so opened for technology (meaning listening to the music which is all about future/ technology) refuse to use anything else thananalog synths and turntables, because it's the only right way.

I've been baying about it on the CBS for years, and I'll bay once again...

Bias, by now you know too well that if you use VSTi's instead of analogue synths, and a laptop instead of vinyl, you're gonna get slaughtered here. Don't get me wrong buddy - I'm with you all the way, and I'm not ashamed to say that I use Traktor for DJing, and VSTi's instead of analogue synths for production.

Frankly, I don't give a fuck or have too much time for people who go on anally about the merits of a pair of Technics or a Jupiter-8. And that's because I was there and I've used them both to the max, and more. It's ironic that people in this forum call themselves 'robots' when they go on like this like they've lived amongst the Amish. What next? Give up on trains and take up walking long distances? Gimme a fuckin' break...

As long as the delivered product rocks, I really can't be arsed whether it came out of an 808 or a milk carton. What sounds good is always good. So Bias, don't bother losing precious calories here and stick to what makes your ears and arse move!

...however, jayoverdose has a point. .wav files are better than MP3

biotek wrote:

serato is cool, but the idea is ripped off and WAY overpriced considering what you get (just a standard usb audio device). use xwax instead.

xwax comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

you'll need a very fast computer, latency will depend on your system, rane/serato got that all figured out.

free sounds nice but did you try it, does it work, rane was fucking slow the first years.

maybe people don't get to listen to properly encoded mp3s?

256kbit and 320kbit mp3 get you something like -80db of peak error in the form of white noise at snare hits..

Monkey see, monkey do.

And I thought I clicked on
    * Index

the usual suspects

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopic.php?id=658 Continue here

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

@bias: i think we're pretty openminded about technology, but that doesn't mean just accepting anything the industry tells us to. i prefer analogue synths to vst's because to me they sound better, are nicer to work with, and inspire me more than vst's. thats not to say there arent some nice ones, even i use them sometimes..

as for technology being easy that in itself is true, but not everything should be easy. its obvious that in a lot of cases, something that requires someone's craft is more appreciated and of superior quality than ''easy'' mass produced shit.. sometimes its nice to appreciate someone's knowledge and art. otherwise, why not only buy cheap copied paintings massproduced in china, prefab furniture, etc.

There...a solid opinion, properly constructed and explained. Nice one Rudebwoy!

rude66 wrote:

as for technology being easy that in itself is true, but not everything should be easy. its obvious that in a lot of cases, something that requires someone's craft is more appreciated and of superior quality than ''easy'' mass produced shit.. sometimes its nice to appreciate someone's knowledge and art. otherwise, why not only buy cheap copied paintings massproduced in china, prefab furniture, etc.

Totally true. But unfortunately there are a proportion of people out there who spent years building their craft on the technology of the day who just get flattened, even though they still apply that craft they learnt over the last 20 years to stunning results. And it's that 'tarring everybody with the same brush' policy that fanboys apply on anyone using a VSTi or a laptop-based DJ system that pisses me off. I can also play the fanboy game if I choose to, and talk at unbearable length about Pultec EQs, Neve mixing consoles or Studer A800 2 inch tape machines, but I refuse to go that way, because ultimately it's the end product that counts.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I'll stop here.
Over to you, Brad, with the weather...

jayoverdose wrote:
biotek wrote:

xwax comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

you'll need a very fast computer, latency will depend on your system, rane/serato got that all figured out.

free sounds nice but did you try it, does it work, rane was fucking slow the first years.

no i haven't tried it. the requirements state that you need a 600MHz Pentium III atleast, which doesn't sound too bad. but yes you need some technical linux knowhow to get it working good enough probably.

Monkey see, monkey do.