Re: worst concert/live perfomance and dj set

I think auto beatmixing loses charm not because of the chance of mistakes but just because it's less skill required?
Somebody mixing a flawless set on vinyl is impressive and takes skill, somebody mixing a perfect set on auto beatmatched mp3s is easy.
That said, if a mix rules and the tracks are put together the right way and it flows nicely, it's not like I would not listen to it because it's not vinyl.
Also, the people who not having to beatmix would appeal to, probably don't give so much of a shit about how they put together their mix, they just want the easiest way to do everything so they can be a cool dj and score the blow job.
It's more the attitude (of many but not all) that sucks than the technology itself

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

Does Serato have auto beatmixing? I used it at a friends party and you still had to mix like a real vinyl. I think it's pretty cool but still not the same as vinyl

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat

Both yourself, Bias, and Retali8 answered the concern. More skill in manual beatmatching = better set. Computer matching the beats = not that special.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

I always admire a mostly vinyl set (is ok to mix in a few CDs) a lot more than a flawless pure laptop set. I like to hear that a new record is coming in, not just a new digital track.
But I completely agree with Retali8 above. It's more the attitude than the technology that matters, so there are exceptions.

BMG from Ectomorph has been playing all laptop "live" and DJ sets for a long time now. And I have to say, I've always really enjoyed and admire what he does. Because he does more with the 2 or more tracks he is playing on his laptop, than he could possibly do if he played the exact same tracks on vinyl. His sets also sound digitally "clean" and kinda miss the warmth of analogue (and mistakes) but the track selection mostly makes up for this though.

I remember one time many years ago we got him a bit too high while playing a gig so he forgot to plug in his laptop. The sounds dies in the middle of the set, and everyone scrambles to see what's wrong with the sound system. Turns out it was the battery....  See, that would NEVER happen with turn tables. No batteries there, get as high as you want.

anthony shakir in sweden 2001.. off beat-mixes, awful scratches.. i hope he had just a bad day at work. anyone got a different experience?

56 (edited by T.E.L. 2008-08-12 10:02:42)

ok, back on topic.

the slits 2008 holland

In early 80s they were great postpunk band. Now the lead singer Ari Up is conceited bitchy wanna-be rockstar that plays real crappy reggae tunes while claiming she'd play a bunch of Slits stuff. Boooooooo! Saw her a few months ago, very disappointed. The opening band, who were very good actually, were walking on clouds before the gig thinking they would be rocking out ahead of the legendary band. Ari did not bother to listen to one song and was actually rude to them, leaving one of the girls almost in tears at the end of the night......

rude66 wrote:

because that music is already easy as shit to mix and they are usually the first ones ''kids'' like or find out about.. not many 16 year olds will start mixing italo or boogie disco these days.. big_smile

actually trance (of the ta-da-ta-da-ta gated string kind) isn't that easy to mix because of all the breakdowns, build-ups and full, ...ahem..., 'melodies' that don't match with the other record.

I find using beat warping and auto mixing for disco/funk/anything with some 'live' drums worse, because it takes the 'loose' feel out of the music and turns hard to mix records into duplo blocks.

Worst kind of 'dj-scam' is not yet discussed: the pre-pitched CD. just burn all the tracks you want to play at the same bpm and you can mix it like a true dj superstar without losing 'credebility' (except for that single guy who noticed that you never even touched the pitch button during the whole set).

maybe we can start a seperate thread about beatmatching software, fake dj's and something with edits wink

worst set:

Prodigy @ lowlands

niets helpt. het overstelpt.

bias wrote:
rude66 wrote:

being open minded about something doesn't mean you automatically have to follow it, or even like it , or can't be critical about it.

yes, but give me good reason what's wrong with automatic beatmatching.
it just saves a lot of work, which is currently useless.
why spend time beatmatching track, if program can do it for you?
the result is the same and you can mix tracks faster.

If you push farther the reasonment, the dj himself has no reason to be. Why not a dj set with nobody at the turntables?

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

yeah and the audience can SMS their music choice which is then automixed

Mr. Maximal wrote:

the current discussion here notwithstanding this is actually a concept that should be explored further. if only for scientific or artistic (as in art questioning the technological advance in art) reasons...

automixed cbs top 100 is quite appealing. Would that be the ultimate mix for people here?

I think most people are lazy and like what they get fed. Regrettably that's mainly driven by commerce. Hence the crap music all around us.

autopilot cbs sounds good to me

Once the robot can read the crowd, then we can talk.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

Have you ever been outside?

"reading the crowd" and "dj is telling a story" are subjective dimensions of a performance. That means a dj saying so about his own work cannot be true, and if you cannot see that as audience member, does not mean it's not there. To me it may become very very tangible in how exactly a good dj is telling a story in a good set. like watching a good movie, you know.

Well it can be as simple as; the crowd is not digging your music, let's try something harder/faster/slower/whatever

that would explain a few things.. big_smile

Mr. Maximal wrote:

Sad thing is, most people in a club or bar would be happy with this arrangement.
The average joe thinks their ipod can do a better job than the person behind the decks neutral

hysteric wrote:

Sad thing is, most people in a club or bar would be happy with this arrangement.
The average joe thinks their ipod can do a better job than the person behind the decks neutral

Especially when they're asking you for Justin Timberlake requests tongue

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

hysteric wrote:
Mr. Maximal wrote:

ipod "DJs" need to uh gtfo permanently

A party filled with the people from this board could lead to pretty interesting results though.

hysteric wrote:
Mr. Maximal wrote:

I think average joe's want DJ's thats why this whole stupid DJ culture exist

A few years ago there was a Bunker party with a Robot DJ that played mp3's we all know how that one went

No! tell me!

74 (edited by lucio robo 2008-08-13 10:45:27)

I think average joe's wants to sell maximum of Beers, no matter why the clients are coming. More the dj brings clients, more good he is. When average Joe's s got a Turttle who speaks, he doesn't need Djs.

No somo Roberto Succo

from a quality (as in selection) perspective technology only really helps the already gifted.

oh, and please do tell us about that bunker mp3 incident.