Topic: soundcard need advice

alright sorry about starting yet another soundcard thread but i need some advice.

I really need to multi track right now and this require me getting a new soundcard.

I currently have an aries analog console with 8 mix buses. 
I would like to get a soundcard that has 8 inputs for these buses. 
The buses are XLR out only.

Seems like my cheapest option is to get a presonus firestudio project or firebox or whatever with the 8 mic pres.
Question i have is:  The first two channels on these boxes are for Mic/Instrument and the rest are Mic/Line.   What does "instrument" mean as opposed to line?  Will this be not good to route my bus mixes through?

also my mixer has pres of course and the firebox also has pres..  is it ok to do it this way? I would imagine so...but ive gone mixer into mixer before and it sounded like complete shit!

Could you robos maybe recommend any other soundcards?

I'm on a tight budget -- $300-400usd

Re: soundcard need advice

instrument on these cards means high gain inputs for guitar and bass.. they're usually switchable to line level, either in hardware or in the software..
the presonus cards are very good..

m-audio delta 1010 which is 8 ins/8 outs + midi goes for about 200-250 used

i've been using a delta 44 and it has served me pretty well over the years.

4 (edited by Honey Peters 2009-02-20 01:18:36)

get cables that go xlr to 1/4. and get a used motu 828 mk ii. A little more and you get the 828 MK III that lets you save effect and eq settings on multiple patches so you dont have to bring that aries to shows anymore wink

i'm not really for the idea of purchasing 8 new xlr->1/4 cables.  Aries is a stay at home dad now wink

presonus fp10 popped up locally for two hundo's  -- hope i emailed the guy in time.

rsprats wrote:

i'm not really for the idea of purchasing 8 new xlr->1/4 cables.

get a multi core snake then