Topic: My new MS-20. Constant Sound. Help?

Hey folks i just got my first synth, the Korg MS-20 (I know it's not a good beginning synth, but i've got it!). Anyways it just came in today from USPS. I've been reading the manual from the beginning and i've set all knobs to original configuration. As soon as i turn my MS-20 on i get a constant sound. The sound is only cut off when i play a key but will immediately come right back.  What's going on here? Is this a problem? Am i retarded? Help me fellow robots.... smile

Re: My new MS-20. Constant Sound. Help?

And there are no patch cables connected?

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

3 (edited by cloud9 2008-07-11 03:18:01)

Yeah no patch cables connected. I have tried with patch cables connected in random spots matching some others i've seen on youtube videos but that doesn't help either. I'm getting scared...

Edit: I'm so scared and I'm also extremely angry at the same time. It took 3 weeks after i gave up all the money in my bank acct to the dude on Ebay it finally arrived today and now it's fucked up? Please robot friends help me sort this out. And my internet keeps going down! sad Think all be seeing you guys in the "What are you robots drinking thread" tonight! Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

uhm that doesn't sound good (sorry to spoil you cloud9)...

Without any patches and the envelope knobs turned totally to the left there should be no sound at all, even if you
press the keys.

Are you sure the hold knob is not up?

5 (edited by Kvantti 2008-07-11 06:30:52)

cloud9 wrote:

I've been reading the manual from the beginning and i've set all knobs to original configuration.

Are you referring to this configuration?

http://www.korganalogue.net/korgms/images/ms20/ms20nrm.jpg

Owners manual: "This diagram illustrates control positions for the Normal Setting. In this setting, all modulation functions are disconnected, producing a basic, unmodulated tone."

I don't have my MS-20 at my new flat yet, so I can't confirm this but the above settings should produce a tone, like the manual says.

edit: I'm talking out of my ass... but it sounds like familiar behaviour.

Tradition is kindling of the fire, not worship of the ashes.

Yeah i'm positive. Thank you for the input. I reported my problem on the vintagesynth forums as well and it seems there is no denying the fact now that my MS-20 is broken.  I am in the process of trying to contact the eBay seller who sent it to me to resolve this. sad  Here I come "Life sucks when..." thread...

I'm sorry cloud9, I hope the ebay seller honours your concern.

...do you also hear the sound when the resonance pot is turned off !??!

...and how loud is this sound exactly !?

...as far as it will be not that loud - and only hearable when the RESONANCE pot is turned to the right - it might me normal on older versions, that you hear the filter without playing a key.

...can you maybe record it !?

a.

Orgel!

While you're trying to chase the seller... If you plug a jack lead into the trig in, does it shut up? Can you try and run it from cv/gate from another synth or from a computer via a midi/cv converter?

that's exactly the behaviour of the synth when you'd give it an inverted gate from another source. see if you can either plug jacks in the gate input, or another synth, and see what it does.

another tip: open up the little side panel on the left where the mod wheel is. in there, you see a pretty obvious connector from the keyboard itself to the synth part. make sure this is attached well.., take it off, clean it a little and make sure it goes on right.
i've helped several MS synths that had problems with these connectors..

sweet guys thanks a bunch i'll try these out tomorrow in the morning. i'm in california so it's quite late right now. i'll let  you know how it goes in the morning!

hey what's up guys. unfortunately i don't have anything to record with my ms-20 currently. i haven't even looked into the possibilities of how to record with an ms-20 i've heard midi/cv converters mentioned but am not very familiar with them. anyways i tried your suggestions and after cleaning up that left panel i've finally think i got it working!!!!! now i still get a constant faint sound that's pretty much background to original notes being played but i believe that thi sis normal? is it? does that sound come up when recording? hmm ... anyways thank you guys so much for the help i'm ecstatic right now! i will be playing with this thing the whole day! thank you thank you thank you thank you ! ! ! !

technically the background noise shouldn't be there, but that can be all kinds of contact stuff. the main thing is that your keyboard is working properly now, right? it's been a while since i had my ms's..

I would suggest a general check to that box... If you don't feel confortable doing a complete dismounting of all the
parts to clean and to check connections, I suggest you to bring it to somebody who deals with electronics, just
asking to dismount it in all the parts, check for possible unsoldered joints, clean a little and reconnect...

update: i've plugged my synth into some speakers just the other day and everything is going smoothly now. i know my headphones aren't messed up but i don't get the background noise anymore and am very pleased. i am having a great time on it now and a big thanks to you fellow robots helping me through the situation. now i just need to plug all my gear into my computer so i can get started on some tracks!!! :] so far i've just got my electric guitar, kaoss pad, and synth with a cr-1604 mixer but i'm sure if i can hook that up into my computer somehow i'll be on my way to some amazing possibilities. and then comes more gear....