Topic: Piratebay

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8003799.stm

damn, when do those fosilles in politics and law get it?

sharing = NOT stealing

they have officially declared war to our freedom with this bullshit, so here's my personal answer: feel free to share my music

just also buy a record every now and then...

Re: Piratebay

Behind every cause, a martyr awaits...

people will download your music for free no matter what you think about it tongue
if you want to do something nice, share all your/your label's stuff for free in high quality mp3, cause those digital shops are so lame asking such high amounts for mp3s and that's not even "full" quality - you spend plenty of time to make your tracks sound great and then sell in lossy format...
anyway I was always curious why all those small labels like yours, don't sell their digital stuff on their own? it's not really hard to set up a shop and then you can get all the money yourself and prices might be lower. everybody wins.

oh and btw pirate bay sucks, private trackers 4tw.

That's a good point.  Records should be like clothing - accessories.  For everyone else who doesn't care how they look, mp3s should be free

Nukubot wrote:

they have officially declared war to our freedom with this bullshit, so here's my personal answer: feel free to share my music

just also buy a record every now and then...

good to hear that from someone whos in the business himself.
Anyway, most peole are starting to step over to rapidshare, costs some money though. hmm

I know I posted this already in the other thread a week ago, but watch Good copy Bad copy to get an insightful and refreshing view on filesharing and copyrights.

6 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-18 21:57:26)

fucking nazi tactics here in sweden. FRA, IPRED shit how things are going i think in the near future democracy will be something only for history class.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_urWSSZgwU[/youtube]

bias wrote:

anyway I was always curious why all those small labels like yours, don't sell their digital stuff on their own? it's not really hard to set up a shop and then you can get all the money yourself and prices might be lower. everybody wins.

answer is very simple: too much work for almost no money, we run our stuff through Clone Digital and they are expanding the amount of shops they distribute to, so no reason whatsoever to get involved into that hassle myself

same reason why I don't start a little vinyl shop myself or sell 12"" through mailorder, don't have the time for it with a more than fulltime job, there's only 168 hours in a week

as for the formats/quality: I'm not on planet earth to tell people in what format they should buy or listen our music, I'm here to make some good shit myself and to help others to release their stuff, in the meantime I hope to get breakeven with the money (I don't have the illusion to make lots of profit out of it), if you want to have the music digitally in high quality there are lots of shops around to buy WAVs

digital downloads are far from expensive, I buy lots of stuff on vinyl, but also lots digitally (especially the more "listening" stuff) and it doesn't cost a lot

I have a very simple rule: as soon as I use music professionally (in a mix, in SD Radio or anything else than private listening) I buy it

basically it means I hardly ever download music illegally, I don't even have time to listen to it

I do download lots of films and series, though

I love crappy stuff like Battlestar Galactica, but I couldn't care less it they wouldn't make series like that anymore

when I find a really good film or series I buy it again on DVD or go to the cinema, simply for support

so: rip the crappy stuff, support the quality shit and we as "consumers" will decide what stays and what goes

score100 wrote:

good to hear that from someone whos in the business himself.
Anyway, most peole are starting to step over to rapidshare, costs some money though. hmm

I hate rapidshare or any of those other fileshare sites, every time I find our stuff on it, I'll let it remove

same with those @sshole fake music sites from Russia

those fuckers earn directly money from what we do and we don't see anything from it

if you pay for that as a consumer you don't think about the big picture and the future of the stuff you like

it's a big difference from filesharing through bittorrents, that's free for users, let the companies pay for advertisement, who cares?

but if you pay yourself you might as well buy it directly legally

9 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-18 23:54:43)

jack and bender on filesharing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LkWKvMCzqA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWPfcEOr2Yg[/youtube]

Yep this is bad! i thought sweden was a fair country, hmmm? funny as soon as the ipred came into affect they started arresting people, jeez!
So where are they going to go from here, you cant send one to prison and not the other? I didnt think piratebay were actually breaking the law? what about google as lots are pointing out, they link to tons of copyrighted material take theyre image search fro example!
Well its making me paranoid, ive been joking about it since they started talking about monotoring communications going out of sweden. Every time im on the phone to the uk the line clicks, goes silent, i tell my mum oh our phones just tapped theyre listening to what were saying. Theyve since admitted the real reason is to keep an eye on russia as all russian communications go through sweden so they say, is it the cold war still?
Well its not stopped me from using piratebay, yep i use it mostly for films, tv, flacs of popular stuff i used to own or i got on vinyl. What am i justifying, you got an eye on me ipred? im on soulseek too come get me.

"positive mutation!"

Guys, this is only a first instance ruling, this thing is far from over - they're going to appeal and the case is probably going all the way to the swedish supreme court (or whatever it is called) after that.

12 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-19 00:41:51)

lixa-6 wrote:

Yep this is bad! i thought sweden was a fair country, hmmm? funny as soon as the ipred came into affect they started arresting people, jeez!
So where are they going to go from here, you cant send one to prison and not the other? I didnt think piratebay were actually breaking the law? what about google as lots are pointing out, they link to tons of copyrighted material take theyre image search fro example!

Piratebay never broke any laws Per E Samuelsson and Peter Altin and Mr Nilsson are kick ass lawyers. the prosecutor wont have a chance in "Hovr

I don't understand it when an artist demands to be payed for having talent.  Reminds me of an art class when you try hard and get an f anyway.  You should be doing it for yourslef.  I remember an interview with unit moebius where he said the first music they made  was for themselves.  That's how it should always be

Yep we will just see what happens in an appeal. Ha ha! ipred watch thats great i will bookmark thanks.
I saw the piratebay was headline news again on tv, they had the Piratbyr

"positive mutation!"

15 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-19 00:57:22)

this is my favorite video, for you who understand swedish (but still fun if you dont). hilarious how the union for musicians in sweden tried to stop Disco music in late 70s/early 80s.

you probably have seen it already but if you havent. feat legendary swedish dj Big Brother

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdjcSGo1hJg[/youtube]

what's funny is that back then musicians and record companies were enemies. now they are allies fighting technology together.

Giving products away for free  is at the moment a marketing tool or a freeworld vision. The profits made by the artists involved are at stake, agreed.  Maybe their music is of benign quality?
Question is if we all want to buy Barbara Streisand or maybe we are interested in scientific musical research. And thereafter a system in which we can reach our goals. E.g. that track we want to perform for the audience. The guys at piratebay were pigheaded, so i guess they want to feel it a bit.

asteroid wrote:

Giving products away for free  is at the moment a marketing tool or a freeworld vision. The profits made by the artists involved are at stake, agreed.  Maybe their music is of benign quality?
Question is if we all want to buy Barbara Streisand or maybe we are interested in scientific musical research. And thereafter a system in which we can reach our goals. E.g. that track we want to perform for the audience. The guys at piratebay were pigheaded, so i guess they want to feel it a bit.

I don't understand one single word of what you're trying to say here, sorry.

bias wrote:

oh and btw pirate bay sucks, private trackers 4tw.

it think pirate bay is cool, and what you say after that i don't understand, i assume it's nerd talk? not meant to be understood by normal people. or do you care too explain.

edit: i think i didn't have my coffee yet. i seem to understand little.

On topic:
@static:
thats what i thought,this should not be a sustainable verdict in any way. but then i don't know what the industry fossils have come up with.
providing a free tool for distribution of files is in my opinion not in any way a criminal activity:
should manufacturers of crowbars, icepicks, cars, baseball bats be sued for what people do with their products?

i personally willingly take a risk everytime i download an illegal movie through piratebay, but the site has nothing to do with this IMO.

If i burn my own music on a cdr another artist gets paid sad

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

cebteq wrote:

I don't understand it when an artist demands to be payed for having talent.  Reminds me of an art class when you try hard and get an f anyway.  You should be doing it for yourslef.  I remember an interview with unit moebius where he said the first music they made  was for themselves.  That's how it should always be

I agree to the point that music making has to be something for yourself and/or for the sake of good music, but it's naive to think that there will be no money involved

what if you make music for yourself and somebody else makes money with it? I won't let that happen to my stuff

besides, there's a very big difference between big-money-making artists and small independent ones

I couldn't care less about the big ones, but I do care about the independent ones, they DO need money to make music

or do you think mastering, design, pressing records etc etc is for free?

mono-poly wrote:

If i burn my own music on a cdr another artist gets paid sad

agree, that's so stupid

in Holland you pay lots of extra money for blank cd-rs and dvds

that used to go to Thuiskopiefonds and they paid to all kinds of cultural projects

i think the entertainment companies only benefit from piracy, more people get exposed to what interests them. all publicity is good publicity.

They should add 10 euro to everyone's internet.
And use tracker stats from torent sites to share that 10 euro everyone pays perhaps.

heifetz wrote:

i think the entertainment companies only benefit from piracy, more people get exposed to what interests them. all publicity is good publicity.

agree, there are several researches that show that people simply consume more stuff and only pay for the things they really like, which is perfect

I always watch tv shows from a torrent site.
To avoid those stupid comercials.
At the end i'll buy the dvd off each season anyway.