26 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-04-19 11:50:41)

Re: Piratebay

If you make only music for yourself then why to even burn it on cd, press it on vinyl or put it on the Internets. Just listen to it yourself in your own room!!!

I hope musicians and artists will find other ways to make money (and no, it doesn't mean taking on a day job). If you can't dedicate time and effort to your craft inevitably the quality will suffer greatly.

Wise & realistic, Nukubot smile
+1

28 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-04-19 14:33:52)

If songwriters, musicians, etc. get no money for their work there will be no good music. People have to live. Not all music makers work for corporate machines. Of all the professions on the planet.... why is it not ok for a songwriter or musician to get paid?

SOME music is free. If the songwriter DECIDES that it's free. No one is stopping you from putting out free music on the web, and no one is stopping anyone from downloading that, but please respect the intentions of other people as well.

29 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-19 15:13:37)

no one is forcing you to make music or art (some of the best artists in history never got a cent paid anyway).

we are seeing copyright and patents slowing down the technological progress (just look at how patents are fucking up the software industry atm, it's sick!!!!). if you want to stop a technology you could just buy the patent (let say it's a new fuel, medicin etc) just because you are making big money on the older technology. is this really good for humanity? fuck patents and copyright. people with money do so already anyway (Timbaland always gets away with stealing beats) 

in the end you will have to shut down the whole internet to stop filsharing (as it's going encrypted as we speak).

a good musician/artisit will be able to make money whatever the technology of the day is.

I think too, it should be an individual thing. If an artist is pro copyright, it is his right to defend it; if one decides to share, he is free to share it. Nowadays world is all about individualism, no? If someone creates something, it should be his decision how to sell it. Nobody is forced to make music or art, true, but nobody forces you to buy, right?

@poodle: in the first sentence you say that some of the best artists never got paid a cent, and in the last sentence you say a good artists will always be able to make money. I don't think you can measure a good artist in money, unfortunately it is not that easy

Reality is just a simulation

31 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-19 15:30:45)

well then a "smart" musician will be able to make money. a good musician can get fucked on a record deal without getting a cent today also.

BTW i like your avatar Decoder! smile

32 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-04-19 16:17:33)

+1 to Decoder, You're right when you give away your music for free it's your choice. But it being YOUR choice is the key. The problem we have is that the choice is being stolen and the artists are not being given a choice.

Almost all the artists I know are highly active, hard working people who do it for all the right reasons (and not just money) but accept that they have a relatively insecure future and to stick at it for years requires a lot of faith in yourself AND the people who support you as an artist.
Someone spreading your albums around the net can make the difference between meeting all your bills at the end of the month or not (I speak from experience) and we aren't all single teenagers living at our parents place who don't really need a reliable income and are making music so we can tell everyone on countless forums how cool we are. We do it because we think it is of value to others and to ourselves.

But of course, the world is different now and we have to move with the times (which is why so many artists are looking into new ways of scraping a living with their music).

Kenzaburo wrote:

Someone spreading your albums around the net can make the difference between meeting all your bills at the end of the month or not (I speak from experience) and we aren't all single teenagers living at your parents place who don't really need a reliable income and are making music so we can tell everyone on countless forums how cool we are. We do it because we think it is of value to others and to ourselves.

that was just hilarious

34 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-04-19 16:41:29)

Good that I made you laugh big_smile I was speaking from a general perspective; I guess artists from the cbs-scene (clone, creme) didn't have that great sales figures to begin with (thus they don't earn their living at all with the records) but I remember even 3-4 years ago or so a great release on Clone could sell 2000 copies or even more. Plus all the mechanical royalties etc. But I doubt you can pull it off today. So that was enough with the gigs to make your living even as a quite underground electronic musician. But now the sales ... Pfft

hey kenza. im not saying you are not allowed to make money on music im just telling you to be smart about filesharing. it cant be stopped even tho the big corporations are forcing nazi tactics on the people.

people will continue to fileshare. like it or not. the artists that will be smart about this will have a future the others wont. it's as simple as that. you can talk about how you would like things to be all day long but it wont change a thing. people will steal you internetzz anyway.

be realistic and smart about what is happening. the swedish people are now actually mad (almost like the french can get) at how anti democratic laws being introduced into our society, and we almost never get mad about politics. this wrath will fire back sooner or later and it has been building up even more after this first piratebay trial.

filesharing might just be the big subject in the next election.

36 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-19 16:54:35)

Kenzaburo wrote:

Good that I made you laugh big_smile I was speaking from a general perspective; I guess artists from the cbs-scene (clone, creme) didn't have that great sales figures to begin with (thus they don't earn their living at all with the records) but I remember even 3-4 years ago or so a great release on Clone could sell 2000 copies or even more. Plus all the mechanical royalties etc. But I doubt you can pull it off today. So that was enough with the gigs to make your living even as a quite underground electronic musician. But now the sales ... Pfft

this is just typical example about being dumb about technology. you cant continue to compare how things were with how they are now. too many variables.

more people had record players back then etc etc.

the record industry always says "ohhh my god i remember 1989 (or what year it was) that was a good year" so what happened then? people were buying CD players and had to buy all the Mozart and Beatles all over again. you dont have to be sherlock holmes to figure out that this will make sales go up.

37 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-04-19 16:58:13)

Yes of course, that's why I wrote "the world is different now and we have to move with the times". I am realistic about it wink And the technology argument; if technology makes something possible it doesn't mean that it's right to do it! But ... I'm not really against the technology or even p2p. I just thought that some people in this thread didn't seem to connect any value to music or creation whatsoever.

Poodle wrote:

well then a "smart" musician will be able to make money. a good musician can get fucked on a record deal without getting a cent today also.

I wonder what is smart nowadays regarding (digital) marketing. To sell at places like beatport is obviously not enough to many artists. When i hear from friends what they earn there, it is peanuts. You read everywhere "downloads and vinyl are only for promotion today, sot that you have to live from your gigs nowadays", but to me this is not realistic for many independent artists. So, what are the new ways to go beside using legal download portals?

Poodle wrote:

BTW i like your avatar Decoder! smile

smile

In general, i seperate private filesharing from "big style" file sharing. I don't care about friend-to-friend filesharing, cause it is not different from earlier tape sharing, but those who do it in big style and even make money with distributing stuff in the net, i don't like to see supported.

Reality is just a simulation

Merchandising is another income for artists I guess ... "My entire catalog was illegally downloaded and all I sold was this lousy T-shirt"

40 (edited by Poodle 2009-04-19 17:21:34)

@decoder, musicians and artists could make a living before the record came (many even tried to stop it) so what's the point again?

musicians even tried to stop the synthesiser ffs.

Nukubot wrote:
score100 wrote:

good to hear that from someone whos in the business himself.
Anyway, most peole are starting to step over to rapidshare, costs some money though. hmm

I hate rapidshare or any of those other fileshare sites, every time I find our stuff on it, I'll let it remove

same with those @sshole fake music sites from Russia

those fuckers earn directly money from what we do and we don't see anything from it

if you pay for that as a consumer you don't think about the big picture and the future of the stuff you like

it's a big difference from filesharing through bittorrents, that's free for users, let the companies pay for advertisement, who cares?

but if you pay yourself you might as well buy it directly legally

I agree, 's not like I do love it myself. I paid them now for the first time but only to get some out of print series, where I couldn't find any torrents for it, and I find stuff like the piratebay much more supportable.

Poodle wrote:
Kenzaburo wrote:

Good that I made you laugh :D I was speaking from a general perspective; I guess artists from the cbs-scene (clone, creme) didn't have that great sales figures to begin with (thus they don't earn their living at all with the records) but I remember even 3-4 years ago or so a great release on Clone could sell 2000 copies or even more. Plus all the mechanical royalties etc. But I doubt you can pull it off today. So that was enough with the gigs to make your living even as a quite underground electronic musician. But now the sales ... Pfft

this is just typical example about being dumb about technology. you cant continue to compare how things were with how they are now. too many variables.

I agree with poodle. The issue of sales going down is far more complex, then what many people who accuse filesharing for it tend to believe. There is constantly new music coming out, new labels being added, and something else that you can see very strong here: Old music being rediscovered.
It's all much more open to see how many sorts of different music there are, and if you know about more different stuff than your choice is also more likely to be broader.
I think thats one of many reasons, that selling music nowadays is just not that easy anymore as it was back then, change in technology might be another one.

Nukubot wrote:
cebteq wrote:

I don't understand it when an artist demands to be payed for having talent.  Reminds me of an art class when you try hard and get an f anyway.  You should be doing it for yourslef.  I remember an interview with unit moebius where he said the first music they made  was for themselves.  That's how it should always be

I agree to the point that music making has to be something for yourself and/or for the sake of good music, but it's naive to think that there will be no money involved

what if you make music for yourself and somebody else makes money with it? I won't let that happen to my stuff

besides, there's a very big difference between big-money-making artists and small independent ones

I couldn't care less about the big ones, but I do care about the independent ones, they DO need money to make music

or do you think mastering, design, pressing records etc etc is for free?

nowadays it costs little to make music.  what costs money used to be making it abailable to everyone through distribution and studio time etc.  times have changed.  it distributes itself via internet, the studio is a room in your house, and technology allows for everyone to listen.  its human nature not only to create but to compart with like minded individuals.  i think now artistic integrity should be at its highest point because it isnt necessary to please anyone but yourself

no one could make money off of it if only you make it available to everyone for free

cebteq wrote:

[
nowadays it costs little to make music.  what costs money used to be making it abailable to everyone through distribution and studio time etc.  times have changed.  it distributes itself via internet, the studio is a room in your house, and technology allows for everyone to listen.  its human nature not only to create but to compart with like minded individuals.  i think now artistic integrity should be at its highest point because it isnt necessary to please anyone but yourself

So how are artists supposed to feed their children, pay their mortgage,  ... ?

Everyone might have now access to tools to make music (which is great, I encourage creativity) but it still takes talent, effort and practice to produce something worthwhile. If all the musicians were forced to take a day job I don't think we would enjoy much quality music anymore.

When food is free, utilities are free, transportation is free, cooking is free, repairs are free, gear is free, land is free, mortgages are free, medicine is free, hospitals are free, manufacturing of everything you see is free,
then, music will be free,
till then,
GO FISH

I can't imagine any electronic musician raising a family on what he does.  He probably has a real job on thr side.  Professional musicians, graphic artists, these guys make a living selling out

cebteq wrote:

I can't imagine any electronic musician raising a family on what he does.  He probably has a real job on thr side.  Professional musicians, graphic artists, these guys make a living selling out

and what do you do for a living?

I'm a business analyst

cebteq wrote:

I'm a business analyst

in what business?

chocolate