26 (edited by r2dj 2008-07-14 03:21:58)

Re: How do you think the cbs could have had more listeners?

there seem to be two steps to increase listeners:

1.) Increase the number of first time visitors

2.) Convert them into repeat visitors/active forum members/regular stream listeners

Most of the chat on this thread is focussed on point 2, increasing conversion rates, but I reckon the site already had a pretty decent conversion rate (I would love to see web logs/google analytics etc to back this up)

IMO the main issue was getting people to the site in the first place. It could have the best conversion rate ever, but with small numbers of first time visitors the user base is never going to increase that much.

In order to increase first time visitors you need to do some online marketing, search engine optimisation etc. But my feeling is that RDJX made a conscious decision not to go down that route because that would have made it to much like running a business.

Calculon wrote:

.......sorry, but I think there is one problem when theres a show only a few hours in the evening. There are robots all around the world........(galaxy

Motorfunker Radio Mixes
     Analysis - Synthesis
              "Obey"

I was just out at a party and chatting with some guy who I saw was wearing a Clone t-shirt. We were talking about Alden Tyrell and Bunker Records and other stuff like they played on the CBS so I asked him if he'd ever heard of the cybernetic broadcasting system and he hadn't!
And this guy has been into electronic music for a long time. I had been hoping to have someone to commiserate with but he was like "no way! I-F had a radio station?"

I was kind of surprised.

I don't know, I'm weary of that whole "Yeah, I know them they're underground and they're cool and the people with taste say they're cool so I should be aware too." attitude. I'm not one to be elitist but I am proud of the genuine artists, passion, ideas, knowledge and taste of most of us collected here and related ventures and projects. Robots for Robots!

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

More links to the radio from other websites
A player that plays the stream Hi Quality without any configuration or download. (There are many internet radios over the internet, I'm also looking for others online radios now, and I noticed that, if I can't play the stream at once in one click, I go elsewhere - no time for configuration on each webradio I visit)
Radios that play the stream at once without downloading extra software are often ogg vorbis (an equivalent of aac, but it's an open source codec that can be downloaded directly on the web page via java)

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

31 (edited by zora 2008-07-15 13:46:45)

r2dj is right, when he says: 1st thing is to get people to listen to the stream for the first time, 2nd thing is to make them return.
so here are just some ideas. some might sound stupid or unrealistic, and maybe ferenc had some cause to not take these steps, but the heck with it. im just brainstorming. so..

so how to get 1st time listeners?
you have to call peoples attention, so that they even notice the cbs. then arrouse their interest so that they want to tune in. and of course you have to make it as easy as possible for them to actually do so..
most possibilities could have started by saying:

.."this world`s a bubble"..

metro-nome wrote:

I was just out at a party and chatting with some guy who I saw was wearing a Clone t-shirt. We were talking about Alden Tyrell and Bunker Records and other stuff like they played on the CBS so I asked him if he'd ever heard of the cybernetic broadcasting system and he hadn't!
And this guy has been into electronic music for a long time. I had been hoping to have someone to commiserate with but he was like "no way! I-F had a radio station?"

I was kind of surprised.

I find that very odd, ...did this cat know how to work the internetz?...there is link to CBS on clone site, also if you search I-F even wiki has a link to the CBS.
I also think that this talk of ppl not knowing what the CBS was( sad )...if ppl ain't smart enough to figure it out(it was not hard by any stretch of the imagination) they probly shouldn;t be let loose on the internet anyway.

streaming 24/7 just didn't work(too many technical, time, location constraints on the listener & on the programmer)....i would like to see all the contributers continue making shows for DL & listening

and i would definitely like to see/hear occasional 'live' broadcasts....the live@the coolexx sessions/request-o-Las were always my favourite.

Let's get Dumb

It did seem to me like everyone and their mom knew about the top 100 but didn't care to listen and see what the cbs was about for the other 364 days out of the year.

metro-nome wrote:

I was kind of surprised.

That is really really weird. Clone web site, cbs logo on the right side, big one.
First time I went to CBS was through a banner on flexx. Wasn't that hard to find.

I think the CBS could have had more listeners if it had lasted longer, maybe promoting more CBS parties, some kind of festival or stuff like that. Some touring with different djs, etc, under the CBS flag.
You couldn't try any harder program wise. It was very well done. You could find almost anything you were hungry for. It was electronic radio heaven.
The forum was a big big help I think. And probably the downloading shows part wasn't. If you want them, listen to the stream. That should be a must. Maybe make them downloadable just for a short period of time.

burp

Maybe some people don't spend as much time online as we do wink

I'm 100% serious when I say it can be hard to remember this fact. I probably get most of my info about music from the web so I forget other people might not be as internet-addicted or whatever as I am (and probably many people here are).

My music addiction and internet addiction are sort of inter-twined at this point.

mor tokio hotel

Uh

i think there will never be much more fan community possible than on the cbs.
for today's circumstances, it's more than an excellent job to have so many TRUE listeners.

any comparison with stations found within shoutcast can't be made,
because those stations with 1000 listeners or more play usual stuff that always reached much more listeners
like rock, pop, depeche mode and crap like rave, trance or 'plopp-oink' bullshit that they just name house or techno in general.

we all know that there's a total overrun of radio stations in the web, as well as releases, no matter if vinyl, cd or mp3,
as well as dj's, as well as tv-'stars', as well as tv-stations ....
it's so f*ckin sad, but it will NEVER EVER become like it was in the 80s, not even nearly the same.

there's no way to get really noticed out of that mass, of that amount of supply.
that in general often makes me really depressive.
i will forever miss that 'whoow, it's saturday, let's listen to this radiostation, let's go to that special party' feelin'.

Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, -life- has surface noise..." [John Peel]

38 (edited by herman13 2008-07-15 12:36:53)

"we all know that there's a total overrun of radio stations in the web, as well as releases, no matter if vinyl, cd or mp3,
as well as dj's, as well as tv-'stars', as well as tv-stations ....
it's so f*ckin sad, but it will NEVER EVER become like it was in the 80s, not even nearly the same.

there's no way to get really noticed out of that mass, of that amount of supply.
that in general often makes me really depressive.
i will forever miss that 'whoow, it's saturday, let's listen to this radiostation, let's go to that special party' feelin'."

so true !

and, here in germany, the biiig fusion festival is worse than loveparade, it's ambitious regarding some aspects and non-commercial, generally hard to criticize.
but like ravi shankar already said back in the 60s: "they are abusing music for their events !" it's all about the event, it's not about music, it's about a soundtrack background for something else.
and then they want us club deejays play like they fukin need it due 2 da fukin fusion like it already had been with those fukin goa parties back in da 90s - no space left 4 any accentuated story tellin deejay session...

39 (edited by Robotworks 2008-07-15 16:33:15)

zora wrote:

r2dj is right, when he says: 1st thing is to get people to listen to the stream for the first time, 2nd thing is to make them return.
so here are just some ideas. some might sound stupid or unrealistic, and maybe ferenc had some cause to not take these steps, but the heck with it. im just brainstorming. so..

so how to get 1st time listeners?

1) First listeners should not necessarly discover the radio on the web... There should be programs, especially the sunday,
that should be suitable for public broadcasting in some caf

40 (edited by Robotworks 2008-07-16 16:31:06)

Another thing I realize now: Internet broadcasting has a difference with terrestrial broadcasting : it can be interactive.

Example

For each user that connects, this user has a folder in which he puts its top 20 favourites, for instance. And each day of the week, from monday to friday, a 30 minute show between 6:00 and 8:00 PM is consecrated to play the whole set folder of 1 user choosen randomly.

And it's easy to make a General Top 20 every week.

Some professional broadcasting software do it alright automatically. The radio administrator can even go away in vacation: those softwares have their specific (and very simple) programmation language window that allow generating nice shows at the usual schedule, by "artificial intelligence".  Those programs are often also all in one player, sound track database, mixingconsole, sound effect, sound compressor, scedule programming, stream server, php server and mySQL databases... with plugins etc.

I don't know what software was used for the CBS, but it seems it wasn't allowing too much vacation for Da Administrator(s) and didn't allow that much listener interactivity

ahhhhh....I fucking miss those Request-O-La shows.

burp

Yes, interactivity, what.

But request-o-la were forum-based... And forums are always hierachized: people called "humaaans" hesitate more easily to post than people called "robot that live here". Moreover the CBS forum was often closed to new subscriptions. Interactivity was limited...

Robotworks wrote:

Yes, interactivity, what.

But request-o-la were forum-based... And forums are always hierachized: people called "humaaans" hesitate more easily to post than people called "robot that live here". Moreover the CBS forum was often closed to new subscriptions. Interactivity was limited...

Agreed.

hierarchy on the cbs forum was a cool touch. I get what you mean Robotworks, and your idea should work.

burp

However that my be you can't avoid a certain hierarchy in any forum over the internet.
Moreover, a forum is indispensable to a webradio: people post about informations about many things and it creates links into search engines, like Google, for people who are looking for such informations, and they can discover the stream that way.
But I think it's not the place for real interactivity regarding what is broadcasted. User subscription, vote for "now playing" track, or top 20 folder for each user should rather be integrated to the player, or at least, the front page.

With the CBS, collecting statistics via the forum was certainly a pain in the arse, and pretty uncertain.
And for listeners, it's not so easy to make a public request rather than filling a "private" folder... Or clicking on a "vote" button. There are netcasting programs that do it automatically yet...

And if interactivity is definitely what makes the difference with netcasting, and if that interactivity depends only on the forum, then closing the forum to new subscription was actually closing the CBS to new fidelized listeners.

@robotworks : you make it sound sooo easy, why didn't you offer to build it ? i think you grossly underestimate the amount of work.

47 (edited by Robotworks 2008-07-21 21:00:55)

Just waiting for a reply to continue

sending mp3's is by no means comparable to building and maintaining an interactive application. not that it isn't a good thing to do, but there's about 200 people sending music, and just 2 or 3 actually building and maintaining software. guess what's needed more...

it's all academic now of course, it's simply too late. 20/20 hindsight is damn easy.

yeah, tech-no-logical. I remember all the hard work by the "help" thread. You were always on the spot...vote mechanism for 100, send CBS...so many stuff....you did an amazing job

burp

I will reply by email

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → The Daily UFO → How do you think the cbs could have had more listeners?