1 (edited by cimabot 2008-07-12 10:05:57)

Topic: Outboard effects discussion...

I decided to focus on buying outboard effects to make my machines squeal just the right way....

Thinking of a Boss RE-20 (cannot afford the original Space Echo at the moment), Electroharmonix Small Stone and Holy Grail(thanks computerdisco!), and a Boss RPS-10 pitch shifter delay from the old Boss half-rack series ( I already have the RRV-10 reverb and I looove it!).

I am wondering what you guys out there think of these, and if you'd get something else instead, or if you would rather build your own, or if you would rather use software alternatives etc....

:-)

Re: Outboard effects discussion...

The RE-20 is fantastic !

hey cimabot check youtube ... there a whole range of demo videos for all kinds of fx ... this one should be nice too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZyirNCM2c

touch your fear, dont be afraid!

An RE-20 should land in my studio this week... sweet!

@ouroboros: some of that elctro harmonix stuff sounds quite nice, I am well into that PolyPhase...

hey cimabot! the RE-20 is the best delay for that price range (imo), you'll love it. i have a dd5, a memory man, and a dd-20 and my wife got the RE-20 and i was blown away by how good it sounds. (on synths, gtr, drum machines etc)

also for reverbs, i just picked up a Boost RVB by Tech21 ($150) and it has a really fantastic sound, a bit comparable to the Holy Grail but with more options. Plus, Holy Grails tend to break down a lot, or short out and shoot metal slivers into your fingers...

worship the potentiometer.

6 (edited by cimabot 2008-07-16 09:08:06)

The RE-20 is arrived...and it's fantastic! Was playing around last night with my Polysix, through a BSS compressor and the RE-20 and I just couldn't stop....

@screenvinylimage: the tech21 stuff looks interesting... will give a listen to the sound samples later...

screenvinylimage wrote:

Plus, Holy Grails tend to break down a lot, or short out and shoot metal slivers into your fingers...

mine stopped working not long ago and i used it maybe 4 times.

the RE-20 deserves it's own topic.
i'm sure i'll be having a lot of fun with it for years to come.
the machine even has a happy face itself , like it's winking and smiling at you.

Is there a chance the CE-20 chorus is just a cool ?

ran my RE-20 through a bit crusher and into a feedback loop pedal last night. hours of chaos..

@mr pauli, they do have the CE-1 and Dimension D Mode on that chorus...

anyone tried the CE-20? opinions?

@ramos, sorry to hear that, my friend just got his back from the shop, plugged it in and it broke in 10 minutes.

I wanna get a Memory man, but which one should i go for?.. Seems to be 3, the Memory man, the Deluxe memory man and the Stereo memory man (with Hazarai, whatever the fuck that is).

Also: The holy grail, the holy grail deluxe och the holier grail?

edit: and even holiest grail yikes

Mayebe i should just go for some lower higher end rack reberb?

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

i have a Deluxe Memory Man, but if you can find the older model w/o the chorus/vibrato, i'd get that. i haven't heard of the stereo version though, sounds interesting..

i just saw that Electro Harmonix re-designed the Holy Grail reverb pedals.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=150407

I'd avoid the holier/holiest, I've heard nothing but bad things about them breaking after a month or two.

BMX wrote:

Mayebe i should just go for some lower higher end rack reberb?

If you can find one (they come up quite often on ebay), I would give the Boss RRV-10 a shot. I got one and I love it, especially the gated section. Makes my 606 sound really sweet.

Also, I recently got a boss PH-3 phase shifter for real cheap (

13 (edited by sharevari 2010-12-03 13:30:56)

Sorry to dig up an old topic but I just did a search for RE-20 and found this. I'm wondering if anyone's got experience of using one as part of a DJing setup?

I'm looking for a compact hardware unit for adding a bit of swirly tape delay here and there (good for transitions between different tempos), that I can take with me and hook up to the club's DJ mixer output.

I notice there's no tempo tapping or anything like that on it, but it shouldn't be too much hassle to do it manually I hope.

one of the pedals on the re-20 is "taptempo"

lärm macht spass!

screenvinylimage wrote:

anyone tried the CE-20? opinions?

The Boss CE-20 has got CE-1 and Dimension D modes, they're not terrible but they're a bit bright sounding although I've never used a real CE-1 or a Dimension D to compare them to.  Personally I prefer the sound of my old Boss CE-2.

@sharevari, yeah Re-20 has tap tempo on it, also you might want to look into the Giga-delay by boss, it has 5 banks you can save settings to and easily adjust the tempo, might be better for dj'ing?

@koova, cool to know, i figured it would sound brighter/more digital. everyone seems to swear by the CE-2, i'll have to keep my eye out for one!

still I cant believe you can compare a RE-20 to the SpaceEcho.. maybe clean it comes close but in overdrive it will loose big time.. Im 100% sure (even without hearing it) smile

TB or not TB

OK, thanks for pointing that out, seems like the perfect device then. Giga Delay looks interesting too, hmm...

@screenvinylimage, nice to see you're on here too, judging by your image I'm guessing that you are jsequential at Last.fm?

I compared my Re-20 and Re-101 and sold the re-20.  The appeal is that they're reliable and the originals are not.

I like the Boss DM-100 as an alternative to tape echos, it sound great!

@Freek, yeah i'm not gonna argue that, there is no comparison to the real thing, like tony said, the appeal is it's reliable. we tour a shit ton and a real deal space echo just wouldn't be stable enough, these are great alternatives for something "close" to the sound imo.

tony, isn't the DM-100 pretty cheap too if you find them?

@sharevari, yup, that's me, nice to see you on here too! smile

screenvinylimage wrote:

@Freek, yeah i'm not gonna argue that, there is no comparison to the real thing, like tony said, the appeal is it's reliable. we tour a shit ton and a real deal space echo just wouldn't be stable enough, these are great alternatives for something "close" to the sound imo.

tony, isn't the DM-100 pretty cheap too if you find them?

If you want a alternative delay like a tapedelay with similar grittyness than I agree with Tony and try to find a analog BBD delay, personal the Ibanez AD202 is one of my favorites and its reliable + build like a tank.

TB or not TB

ps: there are tons of cool digital delays from the 80's waiting to be rescued for a fraction of the price you pay for something retro that looks like but isn't smile

TB or not TB

The Dm-100 usually goes for 100-300$.

Some 80s digital delays sound nice, but the Re-20 does sound much closer to a tape echo than any of them.

TONY COPS wrote:

The Dm-100 usually goes for 100-300$.

Some 80s digital delays sound nice, but the Re-20 does sound much closer to a tape echo than any of them.

I dont compare a digital '80s delay with a tapedelay, but they are fun for cheap.. I use them a lot

TB or not TB

speaking of digitals.....

I just picked up an Ibanez DD100 off someone for $40. Odd rack mount, not incredibly bright sounding...I like it.
Has well over 4.5 milliseconds of delay. I had a hard time finding any kind of reviews or specs on it. weird