1 (edited by Ant.La 2009-05-20 17:09:03)

Topic: Second spring for Electroclash

Second spring for Electroclash in 2009?
The german ElectroPop scene (beside the Depeche Mode epigone) went bigger and new LPs from Fischerspooner, Miss Kittin & The Hacker and Tiga out now. Some related stuff at IFM demo contest went into the shredder.

Usually i hate topics like these - but my curiosity is too big! tongue

1) Is there good Electroclash around us (tracks, bands, etc.)?
2) What is typical Electroclash shit = bullshit (bands, deejays etc.)?

Question of taste, sure. big_smile

Don't forget: we don't want to quarrel here! smile
Anybody who don't want to answer openly can sent me an pm. cool

Robothek - radio for robettes and robots www.facebook.com/robothek

Re: Second spring for Electroclash

so having a negative opinion is forbidden in this thread?

3 (edited by byron 2009-05-20 16:52:03)

i don't think so

shit that's positive, bad joke smart arse opportunity gone

keep hackney crap

4 (edited by Ant.La 2009-05-20 17:10:30)

Corrected - and yes, i want negative opinion...
3, 2, 1, go!

Robothek - radio for robettes and robots www.facebook.com/robothek

not heard the albums so far - but i have heard that fischerspooner or TIGA are now more into another stuff

(the GROOVE mag mentioned the word ITALO in a TIGA review big_smile)

normally every review in the GROOVE with the word italo is done by Gerd Janson big_smile

there is still some electroclash around, but the name changed - some NU RAVE acts are doing electroclash now big_smile

i hate most but i have to admit some tracks by CRYSTAL CASTLES are cool electro clash / wave stuff

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IR9ZeA_fx4[/youtube]

i hate soccer

just like another mtf pop revival, in my view.

haha, i was wondering the same the other day, when i heard about that theres a new album coming up by THE electro queen peaches. didnt even know about her and.. well, what i heard so far on her myspace site.. i dont like.

.."this world`s a bubble"..

nurave and electrocrash sound and feel absolutely the same, and I think the term nu-rave was more like an invention by music magazines to have some new style they can praise. I have some friends who listen, to the digitalism stuff like 24/7, and there are some decent tracks on their album.

If you wanna hear some very italo-inspired electroclash/2-step whatever, you can check stuff from chromeo - kinda timberlake goes italo. Shitty vocals, they make really great instrumentals though imo.

zora wrote:

haha, i was wondering the same the other day, when i heard about that theres a new album coming up by THE electro queen peaches. didnt even know about her and.. well, what i heard so far on her myspace site.. i dont like.

damn and i thought miss kittin was THE electroqueen...I'm so not up to date anymore

I wouldnt say there is a second spring of the so called E-clash. Peaches and others have to do their job and so they ride the rock / indie  - wave, with some help from those electronic producers (like Simian Mobile Disco) and try to sound modern (well produced). I can hear the stuff on radio very often. It fits the daily program with all the guitar stuff beside.

the clash wave is still a thing on myspace with all these little bands, computer rockers and crying girls, indeed a clashy (bad) sound and its getting on my nerves since years, thats why myspace sucks a bit too.

imo Miss Kittin, Peaches or Fischerspooner are far from that so called electroclash. The few stars from the early 2000s with the chance for better productions and possibilities, because they were always better than the rest of it. It does not mean that I like their stuff.

For me it is more the era of Ed Bangers big_smile  even this shit is well produced, but it was born from the Daft Punk, Oizo family bla bla, another backround to create a huge designed thing,... stressy e-rock is the word for this maybe.

anyways, it only can get better, no?!

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

"stressy e-rock"

my new favourite genre.

lol

I heard metalo is big in the UK

I haven't heard any miss kittin records since the frank sinatra 1982 12", so don't really know what her sound is nowadays. she came to kalamazoo michigan in 2000 and played a rockin set mixin kraftwerk and jeff mills the Other Day within 5 minutes of each other and a generally good selection of tracks. regardless of how crappy her output is said to be today, she worked for her success in my opinion. there are too few women in this business, so even if i will probably never buy any of her work anymore i still think she's one of the few producer/djs worthy of support

I think you're full of prejudice - I mean the term invites to hate the music, like it was 1984 with Italo

It is just the other side of the medal of praising everything which sounds like Detroit.  I never read bad reviews about that...

Personally for me there is too much music around to get the full picture. But I like The Juan Maclean    THE FUTURE WILL COME. Is that clash, or disco, or wtf

Europa has burned, and will burn again

EliasRafael wrote:

I think you're full of prejudice - I mean the term invites to hate the music, like it was 1984 with Italo

It is just the other side of the medal of praising everything which sounds like Detroit.  I never read bad reviews about that...

yes agreed on both points. electroclash was perhaps even more exploited by its adversaries than its supposed representatives. At least clone / bunker / viewlex jumped to distance themselves from it out of some vague almost moralistic necessity, while the underlying message to me was: look! this shit that is totally rocking the world right now from fischerspooner to madonna is just a degenerate product. WE are the real thing and we invented it! By denouncing it explicitly you tie yourself to it inherently.

shred everything you know

GREETZ!

score100 wrote:

nurave and electrocrash sound and feel absolutely the same, and I think the term nu-rave was more like an invention by music magazines to have some new style they can praise. I have some friends who listen, to the digitalism stuff like 24/7, and there are some decent tracks on their album.

If you wanna hear some very italo-inspired electroclash/2-step whatever, you can check stuff from chromeo - kinda timberlake goes italo. Shitty vocals, they make really great instrumentals though imo.

I love Chromeo, even their vocals, but isnt that just electrofunk like so much was made in the USA in the eighties? Like midnight star and all that shit?

Mr. Maximal you have 666 posts just right now!

then chromeo must be the devils' favorite

20 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2009-05-21 16:53:21)

T.E.L. wrote:

I haven't heard any miss kittin records since the frank sinatra 1982 12", so don't really know what her sound is nowadays. she came to kalamazoo michigan in 2000 and played a rockin set mixin kraftwerk and jeff mills the Other Day within 5 minutes of each other and a generally good selection of tracks. regardless of how crappy her output is said to be today, she worked for her success in my opinion. there are too few women in this business, so even if i will probably never buy any of her work anymore i still think she's one of the few producer/djs worthy of support

can't agree more about miss kittin. hard working gal, not like the scores of models/actresses/hi gloss mag trash/djanes that get to play big clubs these days mostly because of their look and or celebrity status.
i'm really looking forward to meeting her next week in zurich and even more so to get the crowd warm for her!

have to admit i have't followed her much in the last few years but in my book she's never been in the electroclash corner. electro yes, techno yes, but not electroclash. she even played some of the more electroish italo tracks at the time when i went to her shows and downloaded a bunch of live sets from the net.

JamesTRubotnik wrote:
T.E.L. wrote:

can't agree more about miss kittin. hard working gal, not like the scores of models/actresses/hi gloss mag trash/djanes that get to play big clubs these days mostly because of their look and or celebrity status.
i'm really looking forward to meeting her next week in zurich and even more so to get the crowd warm for her!

have to admit i have't followed her much in the last few years but in my book she's never been in the electroclash corner. electro yes, techno yes, but not electroclash. she even played some of the more electroish italo tracks at the time when i went to her shows and downloaded a bunch of live sets from the net.

think the same. there is no clash and such with her.
not to forget to name The Hacker, he`s the guy with a real good sound and an honest musician. respect

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

--/~~~~ wrote:

yes agreed on both points. electroclash was perhaps even more exploited by its adversaries than its supposed representatives. At least clone / bunker / viewlex jumped to distance themselves from it out of some vague almost moralistic necessity, while the underlying message to me was: look! this shit that is totally rocking the world right now from fischerspooner to madonna is just a degenerate product. WE are the real thing and we invented it! By denouncing it explicitly you tie yourself to it inherently.

very apt assessment kris! the funniest thing about electroclash was that NO ONE REALLY CARED ABOUT IT after about 2 months. it had dropped from headlines, clubs, etc almost entirely. the only people who really ever brought it up after the initial buzz were those in our very own extended circles (i was guilty of more than a few anti-electroclash rants myself back in those days)...
as far as electroclash revival...the term itself initially existed only as a marketing term describing all sorts of different, barely related genres - so what would the revival even base itself on? i'd imagine any real 'revival' would manifest itself as yet another vague, cheap, and marketable buzz word, ala nu-rave.

23 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2009-05-21 21:28:36)

People were calling The Hague stuff electro-clash it was put it that corner by the media, now I don't care how you call it but we didn't want to be ascosiated with guys wearing make up and panty hoses.

24 (edited by Sander 2009-05-21 21:26:03)

Not even interested in hearing any tracks of those artists.

--/~~~~ wrote:

electroclash was perhaps even more exploited by its adversaries than its supposed representatives. At least clone / bunker / viewlex jumped to distance themselves from it out of some vague almost moralistic necessity, while the underlying message to me was: look! this shit that is totally rocking the world right now from fischerspooner to madonna is just a degenerate product. WE are the real thing and we invented it! By denouncing it explicitly you tie yourself to it inherently.

what a bunch of bullcrap, pardon my French...

you make it sound like there's some meeting every second Tuesday of the month where everyone connected to clone / bunker /viewlexx is coming together to discuss the latest trends in music and then by raising hands the "inner circle" decides what is cool and not

the reality is this: this whole scene is nothing more and nothing less than a group of individuals, some work together, some don't, some have the same taste and most don't

the point is: there is no coherent group that acts as one, there is no spokesperson, there is no guideline and there is certainly not something like a "vague moralistic necessity"

electroclash was and is a total marketing bullshit thing and Squadra has a point: the media were indeed wrongly associating that stuff with the The Hague sound, so that some artists had something to say about it, was totally understandable