Topic: European power converter question

I will be in Europe for the summer and I'm coming there with some gear that I will need to buy a power converter to be able to plug in. This may be a dumb question, but is it ok to plug an American surge protector into the converter that goes into the wall? Will there be any issues with this?

Re: European power converter question

That shit ain't gonna work, better get 110-220 volt converter they are not that expensive

If you are invited to play somewhere, let those people get one for you.

well i should have been more clear, i meant can i plug a surge protector into the 220 volt converter i bought? is that gonna cause any problems that i'm not forseeing?

should work

6 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2009-05-26 09:05:28)

ow hehe i thought you want to use the surge protector as the converter to 110 v (which might work for 1 millisecond), as spec sais after the converter ofcourse.

We had the same problem last week, some US friends came over and they brought some gear also. They only had the plug and not the convertor and blew up half the hotel smile Good thing you already have a convertor + plug because those convertors can be expensive and hard to find...

TB or not TB

8 (edited by olivier8 2009-05-26 10:52:08)

it depends where you buy them...i found one (75watts) for only 25

They got 400 watts ones for 50 bucks in chinatown

i've got 2, you can buy them online for 20 euro or so. half my studio runs on 110v..

I have various pieces of gear, some of which can handle 220, some of which cannot. Ultimately, the easiest thing to do for me would be to plug all the gear into an American power strip and have the power strip be connected to the wall with a 110/220 voltage converter. Is this a bad idea, will it fry anything?

12 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-07-19 19:59:14)

Shouldn't be a problem. The 110v stuff needs a step-down converter, from 220v to 110v. On this step-down converter you can of course connect an American power strip so more machines can run on 110.
Only thing you need to be sure of, is that the step-down converter can handle the watt  / amperes that the combined equipment needs. The converter can never output too much watts, but if it outputs too little, you'll get in trouble.
The wattage of the equipment is most of the time mentioned on the machine itself, or in the manual. Simply add the numbers of the equipment you want to connect, and you'll know how much watts you'll need.

Oh, and if you only know the amperes the equipment needs (or amps or whatever you call that in english), multiply them with the volts: 0,9A x 110v will be about 100watt.

If you get a cheap converter, (often) it will eventually blow and then usually whatever is plugged into it will be fried. I've learned this the hard way a few times trying to bring things from the US to the UK.

Brian Chinetti wrote:

Oh, and if you only know the amperes the equipment needs (or amps or whatever you call that in english), multiply them with the volts: 0,9A x 110v will be about 100watt.

This isn't a good way to calculate the power consumption  as the ampere ratings quoted in the manual  will be absolute maximum ratings ie. what the device will draw just before it bursts into flames. If you add up all these you will get a total that is too high and misleading.*

Like Brian says it's better to have too much power than too little from the converter, but if you get a ridiculously large converter (like 2-3 kW) it will be bulky and heavy and maybe cost you more than you need to pay. You can get problems with distortion in the power waveform if you run a transformer (which is essentially what the converter will be) a long way below it's quoted power rating - this is just like distorting an audio signal, it creates harmonics in the power wave which makes audio noisier and might do strange things to digital equipment (this is caused by the magnetic field in the transformer core, if you are interested). Big transformers can also hum quite loudly which is irritating in a studio.

Very little studio gear will use more than 10 watts of power except amplifiers, big mixing desks and powerful desktop computers. Also maybe stuff which has elaborate displays with lots of LEDs and lights, like electribe boxes and so on, they can be quite power hungry - and if you have anything with valves in. Basically things that get hot and/or have a fan in them use a relatively large amount of power (hence the heat) - everything else used minimal amounts of power in normal operation.

If you have up to ten things running off it a 50W unit should be fine, unless any of the stuff is generating a lot of heat. You may want a larger converter if you are running a big mixing desk or a modular or something, or lots of very old synths (like pre 80s). Most converters will be fused to protect them and anything you have connected if you draw too much power. The worst thing that may happen is you find yourself replacing the fuse too often.

Something like this will be cool for you I expect - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear … ;R=4693959

Also power ratings for converters are often given in VA not in watts - due to something called power factor, things can draw more power from the supply than they use (the extra power is stored in the capacitors and inductors in the machine and goes back into the supply when you turn it off). VA is the power rating seen by the supply and it's always more than the wattage. For 50W of power go for maybe an 80 or 100 VA converter.

*Brian, how much power do you burn in your studio then? You must grow great tomatoes in there wink

Good info Ben, thanks. You're probably right about the power consumption ratings, they are often absolute maximums. Still you have to determine the power consumption somehow if you don't own a multimeter.
And sometimes you're surprised about the actual consumption... I know the CZ101 likes about 1A at 9v, which is an awful lot for such a dinky toy. This is not mentioned in the manual, so often people have trouble with it because they use regular universal adapters that often supply no more then 500mA at 12 volt.

Ben JBX wrote:

*Brian, how much power do you burn in your studio then? You must grow great tomatoes in there wink

Ha, well, only the mixer really draws a lot and I don't turn everything on at the same time. The studio is still a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house. No tomatoes, but still enough to make my cats feel most comfortable there.

Well shit, Brian and Ben, thanks for the high-level advice!!!