Topic: Extra fees on Discogs

I just bought a record using discogs from someone in holland.
As you can see the record costs 12.5 euros, fair enough. Mail seems about right too.

But what about the extras? Does everyone usually pay 2 euro for packing?
And what is the 1 euro paypal cost about?

7,70 E Reg. mail shipp.
2,00 E Packing/Handling
12,50 E Vynil
1 E Paypal costs

keep hackney crap

2 (edited by hysteric 2009-06-25 10:42:17)

Re: Extra fees on Discogs

99% sure it's against discogs policy to pass those Paypal costs on to the customer.

were the handling/packing charges included in the seller's advertised postage rates?

i have only just checked the seller's profile now and he does indeed boast about charging min 2 euro for all packaging plus the paypal costs. i know i should have checked his profile before ordering, in fact his profile informs you that by agreeing to buy something you know all about his details already!

its his choice to charge whatever and mine not to pay it
the record isn't that rare i'll get it from someone else

keep hackney crap

charging extra costs for packing&handling is stupid
allthough i understand why they charge paypal costs
cause they go up like every year

Vlam Aan

2 euro handeling is way to much

lot of sellers have slightly higher shipping costs (where they all incl. the paypal and fees), me too. I think it is fair and if you don`t want to pay those shipping costs you can order somewhere else. btw, if someone charges more shipping costs it is not against the rules of discogs.

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

a seller can charge as much as they like for shipping, but to pass on the Paypal fee is not allowed, same as ebay.

I personally charge a lot less than what the shipping really costs, otherwise I'd get no customers outside of Australia.

I do it the other way. most of the time I try to sell the record cheaper than others. but for shipping overseas I pay the fees most of the time by myself. Because I know it is not so attractive if the shipping costs are high.

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

hysteric wrote:

a seller can charge as much as they like for shipping, but to pass on the Paypal fee is not allowed, same as ebay.

This is not true.  Discogs does not operate the same way as eBay - sellers are allowed to incorporate the Paypal fee if they'd like:

http://www.discogs.com/disbugs/572 

- see the last comment:

"posted by simfonik 2 months ago
If a seller is violating PayPal policy it should be reported through PayPal. Discogs is not affiliated with PayPal and does not enforce their policies."

Whether you agree with it or not, that's the way it is when buying on Discogs.

well, to me it is the most transparent way to break down all eventual costs to the buyer. Including a handling fee or paypal in the shipping price does hie more than it does tell me.

Within Europe, as many may know here, charging extra paypal fees is a way to lure buyer into cheaper/cost free bank transfer.

Europa has burned, and will burn again

2 or 3 euro are ok for me because remember sellers have the extra costs:

- paypal fee
- discogs fee
- package (not everybody has some for re-use, and it's the sellers decision).

Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, -life- has surface noise..." [John Peel]

if he is charging 2 euro for packaging i would hope he uses some sort of pre-made outer packaging to ensure record safety. i hate when you pay an extra 5 euro than what the stamp on the outside of the package is and the package itself is some random cardboard (not even 200 lb) that they cut up and tapped up around the records. >:(

italian sellers are the worst offenders for this, they do horrible packaging jobs with cheap reused cardboard, the cardboard doesnt wrap around the edges (they are sealed with tape, which topuches the edges of the records inside) and come opening time you have to be so carfeul to not cut your records sleeve.

i almost feel like demanding a partial refund on the shipping costs in those instances, 5euro is a lot of money to tack onto shipping for about 5 cents of tape and free cardboard.

waxHead wrote:
hysteric wrote:

This is not true.  Discogs does not operate the same way as eBay - sellers are allowed to incorporate the Paypal fee if they'd like

my mistake, it's the discogs fee that can't be passed on.

Just found this at a Discogs seller:

Since discogs is now turning into i-tunes we no longer wish to be a part of it. I'm sure many other vinyl junkies will be following us..

So big thanks to all who've supported us on here over the years, from September 1st all our Vinyl & CDs will be available exclusively on our own website. We will be mailing everyone who's ever bought from us with this information but that will be a one time mail out and no one will be added to any mailing lists.

What's up? Is discogs becoming a paysite?

Discogs offers to buy mp3 tracks directly on some of their release pages already. Well, I would not say it comes totally unexpected that they to do it. In the end they do it to make money. I still find it's a very god marketplace, but of course like every grassroot growth story it's losing its charme over the time and evolution...

Europa has burned, and will burn again

So Discogs is gonna sell mp3's and the people that sell records on there are going to get in a mood and take their business elsewhere coz they don't like it?
It's a bit silly.

17 (edited by --/~~~~ 2009-08-19 18:50:17)

Don't really care for discogs selling mp3s, but i really hated the selling fee increase to 6%. It's just 1 % extra but it's a psychological boundary they crossed for me. And who knows how many fee increases will follow?

Add to that the paypal fees, exchange rate charges and ever rising shipping charges and i often find myself paying more for all services than the records themselves. bah.

just don't pay anything and when they suspend your account open another one.