Topic: Tour de France 2009

So...
starting from Monaco saturday...
first sad fact (especially for my dutch friend (ouroboros...)) Thomas Dekker just got caught for EPO...
anyway...
let's have fun watching this while drinking (pastis, red wine, beer...), and next year start in Rotterdam !

Re: Tour de France 2009

was just thinking where to post about this
should lance armstrong stay at home ?
i hope to see mark cavendish in green

3 (edited by byron 2009-07-02 10:42:27)

if lance should stay at home then so should the majority of the peleton.

cavendish, provided he can get over the cols should certainly win green.

we've got two irish cyclists this year nicholas roche (son of 1987 winner steven roche) and his cousin dan martin. a stage win for either of those two and i'll be a happy man.

edit typos

keep hackney crap

Cavendish is an asshole, period. Sprinters in general have a too big ego, and i don't like most of them, but this guy is one step further... The only guy that deserve green jersey is Thor Hushovd.
Armstrong ? well, he's like a carnival curiosity, so let's see...

I'm ready for it and secretly hope for a top 10 finish for talent Robert Gesink. It's his first tour and he's good in the mountains.

And of course Freire should win the green. He's a cool guy.

Agence Internationale wrote:

Cavendish is an asshole, period. Sprinters in general have a too big ego, and i don't like most of them, but this guy is one step further... The only guy that deserve green jersey is Thor Hushovd.
Armstrong ? well, he's like a carnival curiosity, so let's see...

The only reason I used to watch the Tour de France in the 90's was because of Djamolidine Abdoujaparov. He was one of my sporting heroes - it was crazy watching him throw the bike all over the place with no regard for himself or anyone else.  One year he even won a mountain stage which was amazing.

In the 80's  Sean Kelly was my king

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephenmcginty/Kelly.jpg

keep hackney crap

@byron: I read today daniel martin is insured. All hopes on nicholas roche?

injured even wink

bugger, such a shame for the young man. he has talent in the mountains. allez nicholas

keep hackney crap

oh yeah, Abdoujaparov, he was great, until he was caught for doping...
As all pro sportman, in all discipline, surely take some doping, I sometimes feel very frustrated when a guy that i like is beeing caught... Abdoujaparov was one of them...

i seriously wonder why there's still companies actively sponsoring the tour the dope.... just let it die already. the only alternative is to simply allow all drugs. that would probably make me watch : seeing a guy have a heart attack while going down the mountain at 70km/h should make for some interesting footage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_do … in_cycling

its a grim read if you love cycling but as you can see the doping has always been there. only thing that has changed is the drugs they take

keep hackney crap

Tom Boonen is finally authorized to partcipate... pass me the powder

15 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2009-07-03 12:06:31)

byron wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_do … in_cycling

its a grim read if you love cycling but as you can see the doping has always been there. only thing that has changed is the drugs they take

They caught one of the biggest doping dealers/manufacturers last year and he told the investigators that everyone uses in proffesional sports and its all fucking hypocrytical bullshit if they say they don't use. It is simply impossible to achieve the records they have now in all kinds of sports without that stuff.

Some don't get caught because they have better mixtures of other stuff that makes the doping seem not there or they have all kinds of tricks. The more expensive the dealer the less chance you will get caught.

I don't care much if they use or not but it all seems a joke then with all this "noble" sportmanships bullshit around it

Yeah I agree, all the moral high ground stuff is a bit much.  I'd say society has an obsession with immortalising certain people as being pure, virtue driven, role model-like heroes.  I don't think any one person is divine or faultless.

Ultimately its the human being that carries out the task or achieves the result and not the drug itself, whether in sports or arts or any or any walk of life.

I do think other sports are just as sick as cycling, with the exception of maybe darts, if you want to call that a sport.

Somehow the Tour is always very exciting and the whole dopage scandal stuff only adds to that I guess.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

I don't care much if they use or not but it all seems a joke then with all this "noble" sportmanships bullshit around it

I don`t care either, sooner or later they will feel the consequences (see Pantani died, Fignon got cancer)! But I really like to watch the tour.

Mr. Maximal wrote:

with the exception of maybe darts, if you want to call that a sport.

By all means! The Hague's Barney was WORLDCHAMPION!!!

; p

I'll just like to watch it, sportmenship died after Wilbert van der Duim fell over birdshit

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.  ~Bertrand Russell

They allowed Boonen back in the Tour, but they suspended Thomas Dekker because of a positive test from 2007! Now that's fucked up. It was actually his team's decision, but either way.

Boonen was controled for cocaine outside of competition (which is not forbidden by UCI), and the test showed a non-active taking (basicly he didn't snort it). It's normal that he participate at the end
Anyway, that's the main cycling problem, we're still talking about doping more than the actual sport, cos this sport has 20 years (even more) of advance on doping detection than any other sport: the biological passport for exemple has no equivalent in other sport: detecting doping by mesuring the effect it cause on long term, not detecting the product itself.
This process could be applyed to any stamina sport, but it isn't...
Look football, they hardly do some urin tests... even my bording school back in the days had a better drug detection policies...
Anyway, the Tour start tomorrow, and it's gonna be more exciting than ever, regarding the originality of the trail:
a unusally long time trial to open, the moutains arriving super fast after, the Mt Ventoux the day before the end, etc...
And also regarding the competitor (even if Contador is the big man, it's quite open this year)
So let's just drink this bottle without thinking about the hangover...

Hail hail agence said it

I'm ready

fabian cancellara for the win today anyone?
i would prefer to see bradley wiggins do it though

keep hackney crap

theres also a track 'tour de france 2009'.