Re: I want to give making music a try...

ah ok .. hopefully he finds it soon smile

If you make the jump to a midi-controller the first one I would probably get is a drum-controller like the Korg PadKontrol. It makes a difference for me when banging out the beats in your head instead of clicking around in software.

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_korg_padkontrol/

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

I just got myself a a novation remote sl

which has a velocity sensitive keyboard, joystick, x-y touchpad, sliders, buttons, knobs AND drumpads.

I also like it cos it has big led strips across the tops of the controls so you can see what parameter is assigned to which control.

Not that I have had time to play with it yet.

Robot Monster wrote:
plikestechno wrote:

I'm not sure where you live. How big is your city?

I live in Oslo, Norway, and to be honest I think the second hand synth/drum machine market here is pretty small. I'm playing around with some software at the moment, and even though some physical knobs would be great, I think software will do for now smile

I thought that in Norway everyone listened to metal, worshiped satan and burned down churches big_smile

Joking, beautiful country!

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

rm1x is good, honestly. i think it's good to learn on gear for the sole purpose of live arrangement. if you learn on software you will be attached to software so it's better to learn on simple hardware. plus rm1x is cheap and has a shitload of functions. homeboy was right: get a microkorg. one more synth other than that and a small mixer and you got yourself a studio for cheap. it changes both your sound and your arrangement as a musician when you have to keep the patterns interesting live with limited gear. builds character. eat your vegetables and wash behind your ears.

r2dj wrote:

I just got myself a a novation remote sl

which has a velocity sensitive keyboard, joystick, x-y touchpad, sliders, buttons, knobs AND drumpads.

I also like it cos it has big led strips across the tops of the controls so you can see what parameter is assigned to which control.

Not that I have had time to play with it yet.

I have the 37sl, the key action is nice, It was the best one i tried in the store,
I haven't entirely figured out the automap but I use it as a control surface as well.
The quality of the hardware is fair but not great, some of the grey paint around the sliders and transport buttons is starting to wear off after only a few months of studio use.

I have recently been freaking out on the Korg DS 10 (on my gf's DS). Great way to get the basics of synthesis and pretty cool sounding too!