Topic: CV/Gate sequencing

are there any affordable cv/g sequencers out there that are not yet in the vintage-status-museum price range?
My yamaha cs-5 wants to have some proper note input. I looked at the technosaurus cyclodon, however that one can't store anything which I find slightly annoying....for the rest it would be perfect!
Cheers for any advice from people who already tested some of that stuff. smile

Re: CV/Gate sequencing

your answer has just been released: the future retro orb. basucally a revolution without the synthesizer:

http://www.future-retro.com/orboverview.html

I don't think it can do Hz though. How about a korg sq 10 if you can snag one cheaply. or this: http://www.c-thru-music.com/cgi/?page=prod_axis-49 not sure about Hz though.

Oops sorry, meant this: http://www.curiousinventor.com/kits/voi … _sequencer

yeah that seems to be an issue that the yamaha's have (like korg) a "hertz per volt" control voltage. Dunno why most of those analogue sequencer don't say what kind of voltage they're sending...I'm still new to cv/gate stuff so I don't know if there's an easy way to convert this?

Not really. There's a korg converter but its rare and quite pricey these days. The Korg SQ10 is hertz but that's about it I think. Maybe just get a pro solo or whatever and use step sequencer software like numerology if you have a mac: www.five12.net. Awesome software. The future retro mobius does hz but that's been discontinued and its more x0x style sequencing anyway.

http://www.kentonuk.com/pix_h/prosolo.jpg
seems like the only option.
still not el cheapo having to pay 132 gbp (plus shipping) if I consider that it's only a converter and I still need to buy the sequencer.

Blah I'm tired of this whole plug'n' conversion shit, one of these days I'll build a box where you can plug in any cable in the world and get out all outputs in existence.  roll

I know what you mean. I'd get an syntecno teebee if you can find one. 4 cv/gate outs including HZ + s-trig, din-sync and a damn fine analogue 303 emulating synth to boot! You should be able to get one for about 3-350 gbp.

PS rude66's selling one. Dunno if its gone yet..

If you need a converter for the CS5 you can get a novation basstation, that would be cheaper than a kenton pro solo it absolutely works with yamaha's Hz/volt and you have a nice mono synth as a bonus.

there are no affordable Hz/v sequencers.

you can get midi to Hz/v converters for around 100 usd, the cheapest is the din-sync.com converters on eBay, supply is very irregular and since he wants to sell his company because he moved on to other things, he might not make them again.

The Rees Little MCV is sometimes available cheap and does Hz/v and negative trigger.

Otherwise that Kenton is the cheapest commonly available option.

Sell your cs-5 and buy a Mopho!

TONY COPS wrote:

there are no affordable Hz/v sequencers.

That depends on your definition of the word "affordable".

TONY COPS wrote:

Sell your cs-5 and buy a Mopho!

That's not gonna happen! wink

SSM v3 wrote:

Oops sorry, meant this: http://www.curiousinventor.com/kits/voi … _sequencer

Ok I mailed the guy yesterday for the voice of saturn and his response was:

"The output is hertz/volt agnostic, or in other words, the knob lets you adjust from 0V to about 8V depending on the battery, and how this voltage is interpreted depends on the receiving device.
Since volts/octave machines are usually 0-5V (see wiki control voltage ), that should give 3 octaves. On Hz / volt machines, I think the 0-8V range should almost make 5 octaves."

NICE

Still the "depending on how the voltage is being interpreted by the recieving device" leaves me kinda confused if it works now for shure or not.

maybe I get a voice of saturn, they look awesome dopplereffekt style like from some german electronics laboratory in the seventies. big_smile
http://www.curiousinventor.com/images/kits/voice_of_saturn_sequencer/new/sequencer_main.jpg

But first think i'll try getting a trigger conversion for the 707 and see how much that works for me alone.

well, he is using it with an ms-10 (also hz/v) in that first video so it seems to work. the tricky part is to program something musical with those stepless knobs i guess. but that goes for most analog sequencers. maybe you'd have to do some trigger conversion too if you want it optimal for your yamaha.

come to think of it, can't you just use the external input of the cs-5 to trigger it? or does that only work on the cs-15?

err nevermind that last bit, looks like that little switch is missing on the cs-5. it's there on the cs-10 however tongue

You can trigger the cs-5 through the ext input.

tony cops is right I think, just got a 707 again but don't have the right cable with me at the mo. You can't control voltage though, therefore that vos-thingy might be a cool thing to have -
I'll probably print out some sticker for parameter lines along the knobs so you can remember that more easily.

You'll get the hang of the Cs pretty quick, it's really simple, but modulation options and multi-mode filter makes it a versatile machine. 

btw, when you trigger the cs you can play the keys to changes notes, at least the trigger will quantize the timing.

The saturn sequencer looks ok but there's no pitch quantization so you'll have to tune each step by ear, which can be a bit of a pain if you're making more conventional melodies.

did anyone try the MFB STEP-64 ?
it has both midi and cv. no hz/v though. could be a nice and small budget sequencer. or just crap?

I've got one actually. It's okay but budget. Kind of annoying to use cos its so small and a bit buggy. Useful to have so many cv outs though for controlling semi/modular stuff. Need to use it a bit more I think.

SSM v3 wrote:

I've got one actually. It's okay but budget. Kind of annoying to use cos its so small and a bit buggy. Useful to have so many cv outs though for controlling semi/modular stuff. Need to use it a bit more I think.

yeah, i have an mfb step64 as well, but i switched to a roland mc-50. the step 64 is kinda neat, but it is a bit buggy. also, the buttons are so tiny and cheap feeling. on mine, the Record btn isn't very responsive so i ended up jamming the thing into the box. had to get it fixed. great thing about it is that it's so small and lightweight you can almost put in your pocket. wink
i also had the voice of saturn sequencer, but i certainly don't recommend it. looks cool, but a pain in the ass to get something that's not muddy. depends on the kind of music you're making- great for experimental stuff.

TONY COPS wrote:

is a future retro mobius a rare item these days? we have one and use it w/ the cs-5..

worship the potentiometer.

neudphoto wrote:
SSM v3 wrote:

yeah, i have an mfb step64 as well, but i switched to a roland mc-50. the step 64 is kinda neat, but it is a bit buggy. also, the buttons are so tiny and cheap feeling. on mine, the Record btn isn't very responsive so i ended up jamming the thing into the box. had to get it fixed. great thing about it is that it's so small and lightweight you can almost put in your pocket. wink
i also had the voice of saturn sequencer, but i certainly don't recommend it. looks cool, but a pain in the ass to get something that's not muddy. depends on the kind of music you're making- great for experimental stuff.

btw i've been enjoying your tracks on soundcloud neudphoto!

worship the potentiometer.

screenvinylimage wrote:
TONY COPS wrote:

is a future retro mobius a rare item these days? we have one and use it w/ the cs-5..

Kind of, they go for over 500$ I think.  That's how much I sold mine for. I would have kept it if it transposed in realtime.  It was great with the Ms-10 and 20!