Topic: Operator, am i missing sumit

am i alone in thinkink operator is real bad at everything apart from being good to operate, its sounds are terrible, no?

Deathcrush '99

Re: Operator, am i missing sumit

Is that the Ableton synth?

Yes. I was wondering about all these new proprietary tools Ableton is making and charging extra for - you know, if you're better off using 3rd party tools?

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

Well, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Get the LE version.

Automatic

Operator is not bad at all,
is a fm synth so don't expect too much warmth out of it....
As a sub sub sub bass generator is killer and on some hi pitched stuff also.
As any fm synth it tends to sound a bit metallic too and here you don't have any morph on the sound given by output d/a converters (well your audio card but that applies to everything you're hearing form that).

Fm7 is probably better as a plug but also more expensive.

Isn't fm7 "abandonware"? big_smile
anyway, I like it more than operator and it can do a lot, but try the same solid bass patch on a dx21 and then on fm7 and you will hear the difference: fm7 sound in this particular case is way too clean. (Bad)Converters on older yamaha fm synths add really something to their sound.

thats very true, fm7 misses the dirtyness of the real thing.. but it can also do a lot of things the real fm synths never could.. i'd kill for something like an OS upgrade where an old dx7 would get the functions of fm7.. thast would be a kickass machine!

yes the synth missing for me is vintage sounds with non hardware emulation GUI..

Deathcrush '99

i use FM8 sometimes.  It's pretty cool.. definitely does not sound like a dx synth but can do way more. i also have a dx7 and tx81z so it works out :>

I wouldnt rely on any VST to sound exactly like the hardware it's trying to replicate.  I wont hate it for not being that way either.. just because it does not sound like the hardware variant does not mean it cannot produce good sounds!