1 (edited by sL 2009-08-19 17:07:53)

Topic: Post here your Favourite Mix or the Mix that changes your Life

Hi Musiclovers,

please post here only your absolutely favourite Mixes or some Mix which change your life. it would be nice if you let us know whats the story behind it.

i was going to 3 Periods with Mixes which have an big influence to me.

1. I-f  Live at NY  ( this mix was the point of no return to this kind of music, iam listening today and play)
2. Pawel Blot - Mimoza Mix  (this Mix is a milestone imo because of the fantastic mixing style and the feeling which it brings with it)
3. Albion - Live at Microparty (i was there and this put me far away from everything, thanks Albion. i dont know if there is an other DJ with such a brilliant musicappreciation. if there is one, let me know please.)

Frisbee is my passion

2 (edited by tek! 2009-08-19 08:22:31)

Re: Post here your Favourite Mix or the Mix that changes your Life

that would be stefan VDB's (t-quest, dr lektroluv's) detroit special radiomix from 1994
from his weekly show on radio SIS ghent.
i was already listening since 89 to tapes from clubs,etc  but that one played all the good shit back to back.

dimitri's static track vol 1
absolutly changed my view on mixing
perfect timing,timeless classics..
all i heard before that was off beat mixing from crap dutch dj's early nineties
after that i heard i-f's trendfm mix ( from 1985 )
didn't know it was also possible with early disco

slowly i came into wbmx mixes, and to top it off

what really blew my mind was, when i-f came to my home town in 1996 
he mixed "shari vari" with charlie "spacerwoman" and after that "jam on it" from newcleus, "tour de france" from
kraftwerk...
the timing was just perfect..
all fitted well together.. man o man.. what a mix was that
to bad i don't have it anymore

Vlam Aan

now I think of it, there are quite a few mindblowing changes of perspective for me:

- turn up the bass houseparty I: set up very commercial, but rocking from beginning to end. It was my introduction to more abstract electronic sounds, quite ravey

- for those who like to groove: a dutch radio program in 1992: played ricky the dragon's mix all summer on my walkman, and that mix with in sync's storm in it (can't remember the dj) was even better: beautiful tracks, fluidly mixed, you could feel the passion of the guy behind the decks

- also dimitri's static tracks; perfect blend of house, detroit and some british and dutch stuff, timing is amazing indeed on this one, and the tracks fit together musical wise in a beautiful way

- laurent garnier's x-mix: how deep can you go? this is really 'trance' from early nineties using detroit, house and european stuff

- i-f...... rocking paradiso in 2000 or 2001 at I think it was Noodlanding, remember singing along with soccio's remember and dancing my ass off. my introduction to italo

and probably some more 'moments'  but these were the ones that came up immediately smile

5 (edited by kuczera 2009-08-19 09:07:03)

edit

Vlam Aan

In order of apperance:

Some hard acid tape, wasn't really a mix but lots of lose tracks, which I got from my brother somewhere in the beginning of the 90ties. Things like that Red Bull record from dj Hell. This tape draged me into acid.

The Richie Hawtin / John Aquiviva x-mix 3 which got me back into acid after a death-metal period.

The CBS micropary 1.0 recordings from the Bootleg. Still play them on my ipod (and before that on my md and before that on a tape smile ).

zip wrote:

now I think of it, there are quite a few mindblowing changes of perspective for me:

- for those who like to groove: a dutch radio program in 1992: played ricky the dragon's mix all summer on my walkman, and that mix with in sync's storm in it (can't remember the dj) was even better: beautiful tracks, fluidly mixed, you could feel the passion of the guy behind the decks

- laurent garnier's x-mix: how deep can you go? this is really 'trance' from early nineties using detroit, house and european stuff

*remember dylan hermelijn,( also did a great mix on radio3 back in 1995..saskia slegers.. good examples of tight mixing..
don't know the ricky mix though..
there was a tribute site somewere some time ago.. with lots of mixes from that age

* yeah how could i forget about that one : first mix i've heard on xtc
he never did something good like that anymore
was also the first dj ( ok and sven vath ) who did monster sets like 6 hours on a roll

Vlam Aan

tek! wrote:

that would be stefan VDB's (t-quest, dr lektroluv's) detroit special radiomix from 1994
from his weekly show on radio SIS ghent.
i was already listening since 89 to tapes from clubs,etc  but that one played all the good shit back to back.

yeah.. I still remember SIS and those shows from Stefaan when I visited my brother in Ghent as a young teenager..
called "behind the beat" > I just checked discogs

DJ Izrail's Chicago Bloodline mix changed my perspective on DJing, magic stuff, not just playing some tracks after each other as so many do.

sL wrote:

Hi Musiclovers,
1. I-f  Live at NY  ( this mix was the point of no return to this kind of music, iam listening today and play)

so true, i remember that i recorded it on my minidisc-player(!) just before i went on vacation to the swedish archipelago. i just laid there on the cliffs and listening to that mix over and over again. first time i heard endgames, automat, mirage. it was so beautiful.

was not really a mix. but I got a tape in 1992 (?) by a guy with the so-called minimal synth sound. it totally changed my view on music and I started to buy records again after some experiences with CD`s. At the time I was very into Industrial and EBM music. afterwards I would say it was a logical step... btw, the guy was known as Echo West later

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

..were many tapes...but i guess the one which was pretty special that time for me it's Laurent garnier's Laboratoire mix on React double cassette...
http://i16.tinypic.com/6p4y0pc.jpg

13 (edited by streppe 2009-08-19 12:36:55)

after years of house, electro, acid and techno, i became bored of the loopy techno scene.
in that period, i got some hotmix and wbmx tapes from my (now ex-)girlfriend. she got them from the Belgium's Genk based dj-crew World Invaders.
The mixes where mindblowing!

my favorites are:
a Italo Hotmix by I-F (i think it starts with Decadance - On and On)
Wbmx mix by Mickey Oliver (with tracks like Phylis Nelson - I Like You, Pineapples,...)
Another Hotmix by I-F (but can't remember any track names)

Those 3 sets + The Chocago-Italo-Electro set by Der Haack are very important influences to todays music interests.

edit: i've lost those hotmix and wbmx sets... sad anyone who want to send me a link? thanks in advance!

I'd say

Pavel Blot's Mimoza mix too

plus

TLR's Falling mix

two very emotional mix that hit home - I like them because they are like stories/journies imagined or otherwise

Rob'n'Zoopsie's - The World is Diving - stands out for me too - a slow jam mix and soundtrack for falling in love and sexy times - hahahaha!

Squadra Smackos wrote:

DJ Izrail's Chicago Bloodline mix changed my perspective on DJing, magic stuff, not just playing some tracks after each other as so many do.

yea love that mix too, including the 20 mins of talking at the beginning. He jams it hard

16 (edited by tek! 2009-08-19 13:18:00)

we should post links to all these mixes.
gonna try and digitize my fav mix from casette.

@fantomas: yes, laboratoire mix on high rotation too at the time..
still like it

yez, links to download would be nice. i also would give my post the download links after i found the mixes on my pc.

Frisbee is my passion

if one mix come to my mind is flemming dalum last days of italo disco. It opens up for me to all those late italo that, just by looking at covers or the production year turned me off. Digitronic, hugh bullen, private movies, mata hari... just a perfect selection. And a great simple mix where songs are keep long to maximal enjoyment.

DMP - Eightythree in Rimini

...still addicted.

rimini wrote:

Rob'n'Zoopsie's - The World is Diving - stands out for me too - a slow jam mix and soundtrack for falling in love and sexy times - hahahaha!

You passed that one on to me, and i still love it.

For the record though i would like to state that neither did i fall in love or share any sexy times with mike.

Billy Woods promo mix handed out at melting pot many years ago. Really eclectic mix that opened my ears to a load of different styles of disco at a time when i knew nowt really. Can pretty much remember most of the tracklist; primavera, dancehall days, feel the drive, i love you dancer... david keaton space patrol, yellow magic orchestra - computer games and others. Still one of the Djs who's influenced me the most probably.

22 (edited by David Vunk 2009-08-19 17:05:36)

-

23 (edited by ytz 2009-08-19 17:13:38)

DJ Sy @ Fantazia 1991
first uk hardcore mix i heard, therefore the first dj mix i ever heard. big up all primary school massive.

The Orb Peel Session (the first one)
i never heard this until recently but someone told me how they did it a long time ago and that was enough

these stand out as "life changing" mixes

cuties don't exert

24 (edited by sL 2009-08-19 17:26:17)

karl wrote:
sL wrote:

Hi Musiclovers,

so true, i remember that i recorded it on my minidisc-player(!) just before i went on vacation to the swedish archipelago. i just laid there on the cliffs and listening to that mix over and over again. first time i heard endgames, automat, mirage. it was so beautiful.

for me too, i couldnt recognize what it is. i was only blown away. i was just 18 years old. before i got this mix i listened to some legowelt, lektroluv, bangkok impact, opl bastards, ..... music and then this ..... POWWW

TO  ALL  Links would be nice !!! Share it with us smile

Frisbee is my passion

for me

Jeff Mills - Live At The Liquid Room - Tokyo
bought it when i went on a cycling trip through england with my friends, when i was 16. i played it a lot and used my bicycle lights as wannabe stroboscopes in my bedroom.

dave clarke electro boogie
introduced me to a lot of great electro, both mixes are great,

mixed up in the hague
funny no one mentioned this yet. i picked it up at the local record shop for cheap. i still play it.

hell x mix
introduction for me of a lot of good chicago house tracks.