Topic: strange ear disturbance

Today I experienced something really wierd, so wierd that I can only try to explain it here because I think that the other robots can understand the explanation :S

I was sitting at my desk, working with the computer, not in an uncomfortable position on my chair.
At a certain moment, my right ear starts oscillating with some sort of sine wave motion, starting around 200Hz and slowly fading down to 0. Like you would turn down the frequency knob of a VCO, to make it more clear.

I did not had vertigo or other side effects while this was happening, I was not under the effect of any drug or medicament and I only had one coffee some hours before.

I wonder if other robots had a similar "malfunction" in the past...
I even tried to see if it is somewhat related to tinnitus, but I could not find the same effect when looking at the list of signs of tinnitus.

Any ideas? So far I can only think that it is now too many years that I am playing with synthesizers tongue

a.

Re: strange ear disturbance

i do occasionally get a rumble but i'm definitely not aware of any pitch variation. it lasts 3-5 seconds usually. in my case i get the feeling it is in some way related to the muscles surrounding the ear as they seem to tense up coincidentally. it happens a few times a week but i have never found it uncomfortable.

heh heh.. i get that sometimes. it's like all of a sudden something is making a continuous beep in the background, then fades away again. i have it maybe a few times a year, and it lasts for a few seconds... don't think it's anything to worry about..

maybe your tinnitus is doing edits

Its an earwig having a fart

You're definitely not alone alex, I get it too every once in a while, slightly spooky bit not uncomfortable...like the mothership trying to get a fix on my position, must be those damn implants...

bias wrote:

maybe your tinnitus is doing edits

lol bias, that's the funniest thing you've said in a long time...

"Fuel critical"...He didn't wanna say 'critical'..."Rog"

x2

someone is trying to contact youfrom the other side

or its your neighbour with a dog whistle..

Once - before I used to drink a lot of coffee - I had a free second one offered to me not long after I had drunk one for the day. Not wanting to knock back a freebie I agreed - abut 10 - 20 mins later I had such a strange experience, same funny effect (high pitch humming sound) with my hearing, kind of tunnel vision but not quite the feeling like my skin had air pumped up underneath it. I was sitting right next to my boss and she didnt notice anything, but to me it was like swimming through liquid electricity. Then it kind of dropped away. I think that the problem was that I had also taken some ahstma medication which works the same as caffeine and in combination it kind of made my body overdrive. Maybe the sound was a bit of added pressure on your inner ear. Just a guess

It might be small calcium deposits, which shouldn't be a big deal - check with your doctor...

robot_disco wrote:

Once - before I used to drink a lot of coffee - I had a free second one offered to me not long after I had drunk one for the day. Not wanting to knock back a freebie I agreed - abut 10 - 20 mins later I had such a strange experience, same funny effect (high pitch humming sound) with my hearing, kind of tunnel vision but not quite the feeling like my skin had air pumped up underneath it. I was sitting right next to my boss and she didnt notice anything, but to me it was like swimming through liquid electricity. Then it kind of dropped away. I think that the problem was that I had also taken some ahstma medication which works the same as caffeine and in combination it kind of made my body overdrive. Maybe the sound was a bit of added pressure on your inner ear. Just a guess

was it coffee or crack?

Sorry did mix those up again...

haha

rude66 wrote:

heh heh.. i get that sometimes. it's like all of a sudden something is making a continuous beep in the background, then fades away again. i have it maybe a few times a year, and it lasts for a few seconds... don't think it's anything to worry about..

I've had that occasionally for as long as I can remember. Probably no big deal.

I sometimes get this really nasty nagging noise in my ear, then I do the dishes and she shuts up.

@meschi: ehehehe

i hear a loud KWEEE that lasts maybe 10 sek in my ear from time to time too, maybe it has to do with blood pressure changes

I get shit like this all the time

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

heifetz wrote:

i hear a loud KWEEE that lasts maybe 10 sek in my ear from time to time too, maybe it has to do with blood pressure changes

same here...

yeah, while odd, there seem to be no negative side effects afterwards. I have it a few times a year, at complete random occasions.

What bothers me more is when my own voice, just speaking at normal volume, makes my left ear hurt, or vibrate in a painful way. sometimes regular sounds do that as well. i don't listen to mp3 players anymore, I will only put on head phones to mix records these days, seems human hearing has a limited lifespan when abused over a long period of time. At least my liver is invincible.

I hope that in the future there is a retirement home for Robots4robots. We'd all be cupping our ears, "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!! CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN?"

T.E.L. wrote:

I hope that in the future there is a retirement home for Robots4robots. We'd all be cupping our ears, "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!! CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN?"

all talkin on our laptops over r4r

sometimes i get sine waves when i sit too long at the computer or wake up after i slept in an uncomfortable position. my doctor neighbour says it's probably due to the circulation problems, which is also one of the cause of the notorius tinnitus

I get the KWEEEE too sometimes. And also starting to get tinnitus in one ear. But the kweee shifts randomly from ear to ear, so I don't think it's related.

T.E.L. wrote:

At least my liver is invincible.

nope BUT it can be replaced. which makes it invincible in a way.

what we really need though is hearing system transplants... there's a huge market for that!

finally plonked down the cash for some fitted elacin plugs. haven't got a tinnitus but still strange things happen sometimes. it's like my hearing is going down for a few moments and comes back on again. like a reboot... weird shit.

well in.
one of the few people Ive heard of getting decent plugs before they get tinnitus. Most people Ive heard of, including me, wait until something goes wrong.