126 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-12-02 15:17:06)

Re: Traxx - Faith album

Yap, preferences. Sometimes though I wonder if the lo-fi sound comes just from lack of skill in the studio wink (not meaning Traxx in particular)

After reading that linked review I'm quite sure it's a good record.
I just don't get it why some people want "songs" on house records. They seem to think sounding like M People would be something to strive for. If I want a melody on top of my drum machines I'll just whistle it myself!

Don't call it songs....they are SesSiOnZ

MenschMaschine wrote:

no no, he doesnt play sets but sessions.
and chicago house is about tracks, not about songs.

I love the complete sessionz. Great album.

Robothek - radio for robettes and robots www.facebook.com/robothek

the production is still leagues better than 95% of Jamal Moss' work.
most of the Members Only & Medusa edits are so bad they can't be played out, which is a shame.

do you think it's intentional?

Kenzaburo wrote:

Dude, what is your problem! It`s his ways of production, so if you're not in the mood for some chicago house action you might want to keep walking.

MenschMaschine wrote:

Are you trying to be funny?

in my books, if the music you like and buy cannot be played out, you're playing to the wrong crowd. also, who said it's a bad thing to clear the floor every now and then tongue

I have one Members Only that I like a lot and always have it with me, and I only once got to play it out at that felt like the right moment. low dancefloor value, huge atmosphere-setter.

the author of that linked review also seems to wanna advise how to turn this record into a contemporary dancefloor success or smth. why would a traxx album need better songwriting and soaring synth puzzles me too. it's not your mass dancefloor fodder and don't throw it in that category.

The traxx album doesn't sound so bad in engineering terms, I think its just the vinyl thats fucked up or something? The CD and MP3s sound fine

136 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-12-02 22:10:49)

Chilli Perez wrote:
Kenzaburo wrote:

Dude, what is your problem! It`s his ways of production, so if you're not in the mood for some chicago house action you might want to keep walking.

In that quote I was refering to Prussel's reply about Jamal Moss. Was it his intention to make such sound that can't be played out? I was just curious, I don't say how people should produce. They can do what the fuck they want!

And no I don't have a problem. As I stated, it was just my opinion (and btw. I'm not the only one with the same opinion even on this forum). And I do like 'chicago house action'.

Smackos, I was actually referring to the cd version, it does sound lo-fi

Jamal likes lo-fi sounds (which i can certainly appreciate), but he lacks some knowledge on how to produce things to get a better effect.
when he came to Detroit last Spring he stayed with a producer friend, and apparently was open to learning a little more....i mean, he uses a cassette deck and a DJ mixer to do his tracks sometimes, and doesn't watch the levels.
that kind of stuff.

and regarding "playing to the wrong crowd", it's not that....it's the fact some are so muddy they just don't work, no matter how you EQ.
guess it also depends on the sound system.

138 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-12-02 22:25:14)

Yeah, as I suspected .. It's more about lack of skill than being intentionally so much lo-fi (btw not bad, it's not easy mixing / producing, we all have to learn).. I had heated discussion about this already in the hardware section so don't want to get into that. But as I said, there's good lo-fi and bad lo-fi .. It's not easy to mix / produce well. I like some stuff by Jamal too but as you said sometimes the lo-fi aesthetics is a bit too much wink But if that's what they want fine, they can produce the way they want as I said

talkin about lo-fi production like in the '80ies, what do you think of Leron Carson - Red Lightbulb, it's such a great track, but i'm afraid that it'll never come effectively out of the speakers in a club

i played it at the weekend,(leron carson, dont have traxx album) i always just play it louder, couldnt give a fuck if it sounds a bit fuzzy, or thin, all my records vary when theyre played back to back, no compressor in the place either, so its best to just jam your records as hard as you can. the guy before always plays crap wether its recorded well or not so it never bothers me if the song rocks and its sounds crappy. its a crappy place with crappy system anyway, always works big_smile

you could as well play from mp3 and nobody would notice a difference

zip wrote:

talkin about lo-fi production like in the '80ies, what do you think of Leron Carson - Red Lightbulb, it's such a great track, but i'm afraid that it'll never come effectively out of the speakers in a club

Omar-S remastered the recent Leron material, from what i understand.
i've been playing "Mechanism" out and it sounds just fine.