26 (edited by plikestechno 2009-08-29 09:49:14)

Re: Ever buy something you wanted forever then you didn't like it so much?

cloud9 wrote:

such as: certain girlfriends. smile

That's for sure. Thankfully I'm married to a wonderful woman now so I don't have to bother with dating anymore.

Now if only I can figure out which synths I want to be married to as well. The modular for sure, The T8, The Cat SRM, the Syncussion... The rest of them I can say I like but don't love yet.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

that K4R sounds so awesome its even got filters, imo one of the "warmest" digital synths out there.

I got to disagree too with the Mono/poly being a one trick pony, sure its sound "quality" of the oscies isn't deep  (making music isn't about sounding like heavy balls imo) but its got an extremely large pallette of exotic sounds, having 4 different oscs playing polyphonic is a pretty cool thing especially when you can combine them to a chord memory and then can arpeggiate it too! Fucking hell!!! you need a big ass modular system to do that shit.

you should look for an XD-5 - that's the K4r with a bunch of percussion samples in its wave memory, and you can do a hell of a lot with it. and nobody wants them at the moment so you'll get one ridiculously cheap. I don't know why, but I just can't make myself sell it. its one of the very few things I'm keeping around even though it's almost never plugged in (sold off most of my reserve bench recently, but can't let go of this one) like I know that one day when the time is right, I'm going to go crazy on it and use the hell out of it. just not right now..... :-)

kawai gear is funny. In my experience it usually doesn't work the way you expect it to at first, but then does something else really cool that you didn't expect.

I'm really hot and cold on the mono/poly. ed has one, and the sweet spots thing is 100% right... there's things it does that are just so spot on... especially the chord memory/osc arprggiation thing. And then there's settings in between these awesome spots that sound like total crap. I'm not that good at going straight to the 100% spot on bits, cause I haven't really used it that much, but ed is as it was one of his very first synths.

28 (edited by malleus maleficarum 2009-08-27 02:40:15)

you can't get much better than T8... so it's kind of unfair to compare it to other polysynths...

don't agree...  i had one for three years before selling it for a large profit to some guy in germany.  maybe i would have liked it more for the keyboard if i could actually play.  the synth engine was nothing special.  the envelopes seemed kinda slow and it just didn't have the same grit as a prophet 5 or pro-1.  (of course, the chips are different.)  not to say it wasn't nice but i think it gets most of the hype for having one of the first keyboards to offer velocity and aftertouch.

hearing lots of debate on the mono/poly.  i recently picked one up and love it.  i personally think it has far more character than the pro-1, sh-101, or studio electronics se-1.  (these are the only synths i've owned that i can compare it to.  not to say that i haven't enjoyed them all.)  it has a dirty sound that you don't even have to try for. 

i'd say my biggest regret was buying a dsi poly evolver keyboard after they first debuted.  i had owned the evolver desktop and liked it a lot so i figured having three more and a keyboard would be heaven.  big mistake...  seemed like too much shit in one box.  plus, i was really bummed that you couldn't toggle between the patches while the clock was running.  i sold it within two months of buying it.  (at least i didn't have to deal with all the encoder problems i'm hearing about now.)

i'm currently trying to love the casio cz-101.  just not feeling it (but still trying)...  the lack of programming features make it kind of tedious to use.

if you don't want that cz-101 let a 'bot know!

wink

30 (edited by rockmanrock 2009-08-27 03:01:32)

MC303.  I knew it would be bad but I'd been curious about it for a while.  I was buying it cheap to see what it would be like as a sequencer.  There are a handful of okay sounds in there but overall it sounds pretty tinny and nasty, those digital filters really grate on my ears.  I never got to grips with it as a sequencer either and it didn't strike me as being too stable so back on Ebay it went.  People who bought one for full price back in the 90s must have felt ripped off.  Or maybe they were happy with the instant cheese music built in.

Oh yes, I forgot the Casio VZ-8M.  Supposedly an improvement on the CZs, they stripped out all the character and made it 10 times harder to use.  Life is too short.

I have to add the Mopho. I kind of had a "love at first sight" thing with it that turned into a one night stand, It sounded great at first and the modulation possibilites were awesome, but its interface was like have a dream apartment up 40 flights of stairs, great but not very practical.  Also the osc were a little grainy, still cool, but I didn't keep it, and it also convinced me to sell my Pro-One!

clavia nord micro-modular. i was thinking that it would be great combination of versatility and good usability, with good sounding modules. well when i finally got it i wasn't exactly blown away, it all seemed a little sleazy. i could start with the lack of decent amount of memory for delay lines, crippling the whole point of having a digital synth architecture. next the anti-aliasing oscillators were engineered in a half-assed way, in hindsight this was probably because of the memory limitations of the architecture. all the waveshapers and nonlinear dynamics processors weren't properly bandlimited.. it just seemed like whole bunch of bad engineering decisions. the nice enough moog filter model and the vocoder weren't enough to justify it's use, never really used it for anything. sold it off couple months ago.

Monkey see, monkey do.

ow yeah the AX60 was one that was gone in a few months aswell. very nice for some LFOed hi spectre sounds....bass and string etc are whack on that thing, also a one-trick pony imo. One OSC + noise...well its fun, but not in a limited space studio.

Sure you can do more with it, just like the mono/poly (duh) but there are more allrounders available who does the bass/string parts better.

You guys will say I am nuts, I dont care I have a own opinion luckily but ( big_smile), I found my creamware PRO12 ASB way more versitile and even better sounding than the Mono/poly. And yes I know how to tweak a synth...:P

The forementioned "FX" on the mono-poly are overshadowed by the expressiveness and scifi space feel of the Polymod section of the Pro12...again that is how I feel about it, it doesnt mean you have to feel the same

And yes its one of the few synths with 4 OSCS, I rather have 2-3 that are firm of their own.. When I stacked the 4 OSCs its sounding nothing fancy imo... and it take up alot of space

Smackos is right when he says that the OSCS can be stepped with the ARP etc, well thats one sinecure that makes it more exclusive I agree....but how often you are gonna use that in tracks?

But it is not snappy, no good filter, no good oscs...but thats a personal opionion. And like I said in the first post..I know everybody (well almost) is delirious about the m/p... I dont care to take a unpopular stand.

I am more a man for allround synths... If I had a studio of 10 square miles well then I would not sell the AX60 MC202 or Mono/poly... But when one is short on studiospace...only good workhorses are allowed hehe. I think thats a perspective that is maybe not take in consideration in this topic..but space limitations makes it harder for synths to survive in small studios.

And sure I can understand why ppl love the M/P , you can make very fast elektrotunes with it...its great for staccato basslines/synthlines and weird hifreq Xmod cross FM spaceshots and lazers tongue

And sure I can understand why ppl love the M/P , you can make very fast elektrotunes with it...its great for staccato basslines/synthlines and weird hifreq Xmod cross FM spaceshots and lazers tongue
And yes its one of the few synths with 4 OSCS, I rather have 2-3 that are firm of their own.. When I stacked the 4 OSCs its sounding nothing fancy imo... and it take up alot of space

You gotta detune them with the chord memory thats when you get big swamp pads, its also an excellent machine for fuzzy mysterious ambient soundtrack sounds or whatever you want to call it.

you should look for an XD-5 - that's the K4r with a bunch of percussion samples in its wave memory, and you can do a hell of a lot with it. and nobody wants them at the moment so you'll get one ridiculously cheap. I don't know why, but I just can't make myself sell it. its one of the very few things I'm keeping around even though it's almost never plugged in (sold off most of my reserve bench recently, but can't let go of this one) like I know that one day when the time is right, I'm going to go crazy on it and use the hell out of it. just not right now..... :-)

Yeah I know that thing never heard or played it tho, people are always trying to push it on to me with shady trade deals...I always suspect its like some kind of Trent Reznor EBM industrial drum thing or somehting?

yeah ok, but 1 moog osc + pwm is just a creamy hehe
I aint saying it is a shit machine or so, not at all, but it had not enuf feutures for justifying, for me, to keep it.

The Pro12 from creamware was more musically versitile...but perhaps i am just a sucker for prophet and CEM sounds as I believe both the AX60 and M/P usese SSM chips..

Ow btw Smackos, slightly offtopic, but MIDIQuest XL 10 has a editor for the D50/VC1...I use it also now, much handier than the PG1000, although a bit complicated

http://www.squest.com/Windows/images/MidiQuest/MQV10/FullSize/Roland%20D-50.png

its for PC and or Mac

36 (edited by computerdisco 2009-08-27 10:15:13)

biotek wrote:

clavia nord micro-modular. i was thinking that it would be great combination of versatility and good usability, with good sounding modules. well when i finally got it i wasn't exactly blown away, it all seemed a little sleazy. i could start with the lack of decent amount of memory for delay lines, crippling the whole point of having a digital synth architecture. next the anti-aliasing oscillators were engineered in a half-assed way, in hindsight this was probably because of the memory limitations of the architecture. all the waveshapers and nonlinear dynamics processors weren't properly bandlimited.. it just seemed like whole bunch of bad engineering decisions. the nice enough moog filter model and the vocoder weren't enough to justify it's use, never really used it for anything. sold it off couple months ago.

Me too I just maxed it out all the time, Now if I had its big brother I would have been happy.

@Septicstudio - Of course you are right from your standpoint, not trying to tell you your wrong, just entering into the spirit of lively debate. This is a good thread big_smile

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Cirko Hound. The ugliest design ever but spec wise it looked like it rocked and I was tempted to buy it especially because all that analog loveliness was packed in a 2u rack with 4 separate outs. But I just couldn't get it to sound decent. Also, it had been in repair longer than it had been in my studio.

@ Septic, the AX60 uses the 3394, same as the SCI Six Trak. Monopoly has different chips.

Found an XD5 demo cassette sound mp3 http://www.keyboardmuseum.com/soundsheet/kawai_xd5.html sounds like the drummachine they used for Kenny G productions hehe

40 (edited by Septicstudio 2009-08-27 10:46:35)

Brian Chinetti wrote:

@ Septic, the AX60 uses the 3394, same as the SCI Six Trak. Monopoly has different chips.

ok then I was mistaken, thx for the update smile

@computerdisko i wasnt offened or so, just clarifyng a bit more ... discussion is good....

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Yeah I know that thing never heard or played it tho, people are always trying to push it on to me with shady trade deals...I always suspect its like some kind of Trent Reznor EBM industrial drum thing or somehting?

yeah... wait for a sunny deal.
:-)

I don't know if it's that trent reznor.  It does very clean and sharp percussion sounds, but can get pretty mangled if you start cross modding the cymbal waveforms with other waveforms.... by default it's more "IDM" than NIN, I guess. you can get some really out there zappy electro percussion sounds with it. It actually has a fair bit of bass rolloff - you need to EQ the bass up to compensate if you want a subby kick out of it.

nah, the xd-5 is not powerful enough for real industrial drums.. you need the r100 or r50 for that. i dont really know what to compare it to, the basic drums are not that special but with all the editing possibilities and seperate outputs you can make pretty cool zappy electrosounds. but more lo-fi kraftwerk than NIN..

Septicstudio: space is not an issue. my space here is about 1.5 x1.5m in the living room, and i can pack all my stuff in there.. and believe me, the mo/po is not only great for electro sounds.. the trick is really how you use it. the oscillators are fine, but it takes tricks like NOT just maxing the mixer volumes of them to fully get a good sound out of it..

I like this thread, It's like VSE for smart people smile

I cant understand people dont like a mc202 or sp1200.. the mc202 is instant funk, it only needs some attention and maybe some fx. I used it alot in the past years and still think its basic but a very cool synth.. Maybe some people only can make nice sounds with fancy stuff equipped with dozens of controls..

about the sp1200, put in a tr808... shake it a little, and a ttrr88800000000888 comes out... tongue

TB or not TB

I didn't dislike the SP-1200, I just didn't like/use it enough to justify keeping it.  It was one of those machines where I thought "if I had that thing I'd use it ALL the time", but when I got one that isn't what ended up happening. 

If it helps to repent for my SP-1200 sins, I do love the MC-202.

unicity wrote:

I didn't dislike the SP-1200, I just didn't like/use it enough to justify keeping it.  It was one of those machines where I thought "if I had that thing I'd use it ALL the time", but when I got one that isn't what ended up happening.

yeah, I can imagine selling it if you dont like it that much, 1200 euro for 10 sec of sampling is indeed a bit ridiculous..

TB or not TB

47 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-08-27 16:03:20)

really ridiculous, just use soft sampler and some impulse response from sp-1200 or a decent bitcrusher to emulate the crunchiness. Sell it and buy something more useful!

Kenzaburo wrote:

really ridiculous, just use soft sampler and some impulse response from sp-1200 or a decent bitcrusher to emulate the crunchiness. Sell it and buy something more useful!

I assume you never heared a sp1200? I cant imagine it sounds the same..

TB or not TB

Amazing sound aside, the SP-1200 has a pretty fun interface as well.  Still, I don't think it's worth the crazy amounts of money they go for nowadays (I got mine in 2000 for an extremely reasonable $300 CAD).

unicity wrote:

Amazing sound aside, the SP-1200 has a pretty fun interface as well.  Still, I don't think it's worth the crazy amounts of money they go for nowadays (I got mine in 2000 for an extremely reasonable $300 CAD).

I found mine also pretty cheap, dont use it that much but just cant sell it, not even for 1000+ euro.. I keep it aside for my miami-/electrobass inspired moments wink

TB or not TB