Re: Ever buy something you wanted forever then you didn't like it so much?

@trojax:

there is no such thing as the right setup. also you don't need a lot of gear to make music. some of the best stuff in the world was made with less than what you have..

also the a6 isn't that bad. its just complicated. i have some experience with it, and it can do really cool stuff if you know how..

word rude! i think the same trojax after reading several posts from you on youtube videos about synths and posts in that other forum. just get your head free and start to make music the way to express your feelings and thoughts!

Yeah, it's not in the gear trojax, just get down to it, you already have some really nice stuff

True true. It doesn't really matter what you've got. I've been using vst and ableton since I've been travelling with work all the time and I've made some stuff that I'm really happy with.

I actually started out with softsynths and I think the happiest and most productive I have ever been musically was with those and my trusty juno 106!

well maybe, i am too much of a perfectionist, dunno, and at a certain grade it works against you. You people are right it

http://www.myspace.com/electrojax

Looking for a place to stay, i like to dance and drift away...

Vintage is gear is cool and sounds great offcourse but there is some good modern gear around aswell. I agree that the tweakablity of the JP8s etc are great, but there are modern alternatives.

And becauze it sounds different it doesnt mean it is bad. If all musical instruments would never evolve in soiund over time we would still be rocking the dulcimer

It is just different, but it is a different time aswell...I always say that 90% of the aprreciationg of vintage is melancholy and childhood soungmemeories...really young kids dont care about a JP8 sound coz they never heard it when grwoing up. In fact in a few years time the elektron sound will be vintage etc tongue

Pick up the goodies now and you can say in 20 years, looks, I went my own way and now I got a room of very cheap purchased gear that is now worth 1,000,000s tongue

hehe maybe, but seriously.. you

http://www.myspace.com/electrojax

Looking for a place to stay, i like to dance and drift away...

108 (edited by crc 2010-01-15 19:46:11)

i wonder if in the year 2040 or so, some retro soundfreaks try to run some windows/mac emulators to use old vintage vst instruments.. somehow i don't see that coming tongue..

109 (edited by TONY COPS 2010-01-15 20:10:58)

I'm sure the vintage computing trend will continue, I also see people 20 years from now getting into now-popular stuff like Elektron gear and Microkorgs.

I believe it's time for a new instrument on the market that will have such an impact as the synthesizer.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

I believe it's time for a new instrument on the market that will have such an impact as the synthesizer.

That's an interesting thought, because it seems everything now falls as a twist on an old acoustic/electric instrument, a synthesizer or a controller.

I found the dave smith instruments (evolver and prophet 08 keyboards) to be a bit lame when I tried them out. Thought they where 'the' thing for me to save up money for but..nah. I hate those pots which you have to turn into infinity untill you're at the end, soundwise to lush for an analogue and full of shitty blinkling lights.

i don't know why someone can't manufacture a new, simple, 2 osc monosynth that just sounds decent. it doesn't need any crazy bells and whistles, it just needs to sound good and ideally have both CV and midi. the market is totally there for it, and the costs can't be too high to make something simple...

SOS wrote:

i don't know why someone can't manufacture a new, simple, 2 osc monosynth that just sounds decent. it doesn't need any crazy bells and whistles, it just needs to sound good and ideally have both CV and midi. the market is totally there for it, and the costs can't be too high to make something simple...

The new oberheim SEM might do the trick......

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

SOS wrote:

The MFB synths are pretty much what you say.

116 (edited by SOS 2010-01-16 07:28:05)

i aleady ordered the SEM reissue a few months ago, heh...still waiting for it sad
and still, the price tag for the SEM is somewhat high, particularly considering it has no keyboard. mfb synths also have no keyboard, relegating them to nerdy boutique realms. there should be something in the $500 or less market, mass produced....like an analog microkorg.

edit: that mopho keyboard version that unicity just posted is closer to what im thinking of...but those new DSI synths just don't sound all that great to my ears....

Future Retro XS synth is a nice monosynth aswell

that would be mine choice i think if i needed one next to the voyager tongue

TONY COPS wrote:
S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:

That's an interesting thought, because it seems everything now falls as a twist on an old acoustic/electric instrument, a synthesizer or a controller.

but the generic public isnt interested in buying state of the art new protogear for $$$$$$$ check the Eigenharp for instance.

When the moogs and jupiters were state of the art and such they were also ALOT more expensive new than they are still today 2nd hand.

If you want freedom in synthesis, go modular tongue

rude66 wrote:

@trojax:

there is no such thing as the right setup. also you don't need a lot of gear to make music. some of the best stuff in the world was made with less than what you have..

also the a6 isn't that bad. its just complicated. i have some experience with it, and it can do really cool stuff if you know how..

This is absolutely true, if you know how to really compose music like chord progression, melody, etc.. that is what is most important. Sure you can have all the classic gear authentic to the Transistor, but if you don't have down at least some keyboard scales what a waist. Let me borrow your gear.

The problem with alot of VA gear is just with the presets. There is so much fantasy trance crap programmed that you feel like it's not your style of instrument but as soon as you make a few presets with just the basic tones: saw/ramp/tri/sine it can be very useful. Even the simple Popcorn dry sound with a clever arp sounds good.

I always wanted an A6 and I have demo'd one proper, it takes longer to create sounds but it is very powerful and has the advantage of saving your work over all the horrible presets. I ended up getting an Alesis Ion the week that was release cuz it was in my budget. There was an Ion patch making contest to promote it with the A6 as the grand prize. I came in second place and won monitor speakers. So close...

The Ion sounds good enough for me. That Hypersynth Editor makes it easier also for the micron if any one wondered about that. It might not have the big real frequency range but for track filling it is really good stuff. One plus is the lack of onboard FX. Like that you hear what it really sounds like, the presets are all classic rock. If they ever contimued the Ion sound engine on some kind of Ion 2 I would get one again.

To stay on the subject I just sold my Nord Modular g2, yeah I'm that bozo on ebay recently. It is very powerful but the sound is not really good IMO and the editing is easy but it can be overkill. I dreaded firing it up because I knew instead of laying down notes i was going to spend time creating fantasy machines.
I am really into the simple tones right now that's why it's overkill. I have a real Modular for patching anyways.
I can use that money to design/make more real analog VCF and VCO's.

Planet of Cevo

Septicstudio wrote:

Future Retro XS synth is a nice monosynth aswell

that would be mine choice i think if i needed one next to the voyager tongue

+1 for the Future Retro.  A very cool little monosynth

teknob wrote:

Akai Ax60 leaves me mostly cold. (but there are two different models)

hmmm. I'm moving house, so while packing everything up, I took the ax60 from its case, where it has been for a while. (this current place is small on studio space).
After a good couple of hours mucking about with just the ax60, I must say I could have been mistaken. There are some amazing fm sounds in this thing, and I also discovered that the VCF and VCA envelopes are seperate, so now I understand the synth a bit more. I'm gonna try and use it more soon.

(While packing, I also found an Ek22 i totoally forgot I had... a sign of too much gear?)