Topic: Considering trading my Doepfer modular for a .com...

I was just wondering whether I would "trade" my A100 based system (12U of modules, plus a MAQ16/3 and a MS404)
to get a .com, like the Studio 88 or the Portable 88...

If you were me, would you do it?

Re: Considering trading my Doepfer modular for a .com...

of course!
its a night and day difference.. i know both systems and the a100 is a toy compared to a .com system. build quality is better, sound is better, and the interface is better. only drawbacks can be price (though .com is also pretty cheap), shipping every time you order something, and the fact the doepfer has more versatile and weird modules.

a100 is a nice entry system toget into modular synthesis, but the .com is a serious step upwards. and one day you'll end up with a buchla like certain members here.. big_smile

I would let go the doepfer.
But i would stay in euroland and forget about the dotcom.
Euro is the best format to be in at this moment and there are awesome modules avaible.

The best is Maleko/Wiard.

I'm gonna get the whole line off their modules real soon.
But there is more to focus on like:

the tiptop audio vco and vcf
the makenoise wogglebug and upcoming vco
and the stuff by lifewire is pretty crazy to.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

hehe maybe the buchla is an overkill for me... although I appreciate that small insight that is in the software of the
Ob-Mx (even if the sound generation is somewhat not up to par, i know the story)....
What I was considering is more the size of the modules... I turned on again the MS-20 since a long time and I
appreciated again the bigger jacks, compared to the 3.5mm of the euroracks... so there is as well an usability
factor that has some implications, not because my hands do not "fit" in the eurorack format, but because I think
that I can see more clearly thorough the "spaghetti" of a moog-sized modular format...

I heard some people using the .com on YouTube and I heard really good sounds that I like a lot, hence I was
somewhat invited to it...

Anyways, it is not a high priority for me at the moment, given the fact that I don't have much time for music these
days... you know, it is the classic story, you have the money to buy stuff but you don't have time to use it and
viceversa...

apart from the sound, that would be my consideration for going with the bigger modules too. i do have big hands, and it never really works on those small euro modules. apart from that, i think the bigger format simply looks better..somehow i could never really get inspired from a system of small euro modules, wether it was analogue systems, solutions, or doepfer. the ''moog retro'' look from .com or motm works much better for me..

Still i think euro is the better format and in crazy stuff witch is more west coast orientated.
Dotcom is really to boring imho.

.com = demadonne

monopoly: of course you are right when it comes to the internal stuff. on the other hand, some people want a ''classic'' modular..
what would be ideal is the variety of the euro format modules in a .com interface.. don't they do that anymore? i remember some modules being available in both formats, or kits where you could transform one into another..

it's all 1v/oct isn't it??

just make up a bunch of 1/8" and 1/4" mult points, and have racks of both!

^
I have a dotcom and some random euro modules that I've built. They enjoy working together smile

Rude66: to me the dotcom is the most boring modular build, to much focused on the simplity off the moog modular.

mono-poly wrote:

Rude66: to me the dotcom is the most boring modular build, to much focused on the simplity off the moog modular.

I think for basic modules it does a good job. Also, the price is right. I do think that a pure dotcom modular may get a bit boring, but that's the beauty of modulars IMO...mixing and matching.

at the moment I have some non-Doepfer euro modules, that is the Cwejman  VCO2RM (I love it!) and 3 modules that
I got as a kit from Elby Designs, from Ken Stone and Ian Fritz designs (Synthacon filter, Super Psycho LFO and the ChaQuO). If I will ever sell my Doepfer modules, I think I will keep those anyways.

Man that are some kickass modules!
BTW i love my chaquo.