Topic: Soundcard Jungle

Which of the following three soundcards, I can't decide. Or if there is another good USB 2.0 soundcard. I want to replace the ESI 6/2 or whatever that thing is called

TASCAM 122L
EDIROL U25
EMU 4040 USB

Re: Soundcard Jungle

I have a Novation Nio but I think that uses USB 1.1

3 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-10-06 12:08:25)

Good soundcard is essential to capture your analog synths .. I've noticed that the budget soundcard sound little bit blurry and unfocused. It's not a problem if you use only software synths (though also monitoring is of course better with better converters) but as soon as you record something converters become important. I would suggest you spend some money on good soundcard with good converters .. But then again, maybe it's not important for you smile

But those expensive ones are only firewire right? How do I get firewire in my computer I just buy a firewire card or something? Will a Sitecom 19 euro one be good for that?

Then I can get a MOTU

The standard issue answer for stuff like this is to steer clear of budget firewire cards and try to find a firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset. 

If you want to stick with USB, you might want to check out the Fireface UC from RME audio.  A bit more expensive than the cards you've listed, but I think you get what you pay for when it comes to soundcards (I have a Fireface 800 and it has NEVER given me an issue in the 3 years I've had it)

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php

Oh yeah, MOTU made a USB 2.0 version of the 828MKII as well.  Not sure about the performance of this guy with a PC though.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828mkII/

7 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2009-10-06 14:11:08)

A shop here sells a RME Multiface for 299 euros is that something nice?

And MOTU has those Texas Instruments chips? I like the sound of those chips (eh wordly figuralitve speaking)

I also like the sound of those chips..

o_O

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Oh sorry, I meant the chipset in the firewire controller card that you'd theoretically be adding to your PC, not the sound card.

An RME Multiface would be great - if I remember correctly, that's pretty much a PCI version of the Fireface minus the mic preamps.  I'd take a PCI-based audio interface over Firewire or USB if I could (but I can't because I use an iMac). 

That price seems nice, but you need to make sure that the PCI controller card is included.  It is often sold separately:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hds … erface.php

BMX wrote:

o_O

Hehehe...I was talking about the firewire controller card, I'm not some nutter who claims to hear the difference between firewire chips in soundcards.  smile

Controller cards with a budget chipset often give poor performance where audio is concerned. Controllers with Texas Instruments chipsets are known to be more reliable (and recommended by RME).

motu ultra lite

I went from an edirol (FA101)to an rme(ff800) interface a few months ago. I think the RME is worth the money.

to be honest I don't think there's that much difference in sound quality between the edirol and the rme for  just plain old recording analogue synths - synths aren't that subtle really. but I can definitely hear a difference playing back multitracked stuff when mixing down.. more detail. I also noticed a difference recording and playing back things like reverb tails. I assume you can hear a similar difference with any sort of miked up accoustic sound too.

the multiface is good, but it's very old (unless you're talking about multiface ii) kinda similar to the fireface really, but needs a special purpose card, either pci or pcmcia in your computer just for it, while fireface will use a firewire connection.

as for what connection - your computer has a cardbus slot, right? if you're not using it for anything else, you may as well stick a firewire card in and go for a firewire interface. USB interfaces traditionally had issues with getting everything in and out on time, especially multichannel ones.... maybe they're better now, but I'm dubious.

unicity wrote:
BMX wrote:

o_O

Hehehe...I was talking about the firewire controller card, I'm not some nutter who claims to hear the difference between firewire chips in soundcards.  smile

Controller cards with a budget chipset often give poor performance where audio is concerned. Controllers with Texas Instruments chipsets are known to be more reliable (and recommended by RME).

Yeah, i know, just messin withcha! I got a texas based FW connextion myself, no use dicking around with this stuff. I run a pair of Echo Audiofire on it with no problemas.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Whats a decent price for a second hand 828mk2? I saw one for 350 but it was already sold

what's the point getting a firewire card these days?

Monkey see, monkey do.

saving usb ports on your machine

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

biotek wrote:

what's the point getting a firewire card these days?

Is there any advantage? I have one but when I bought it when it was faster then usb but now it's the same right?

USB 2 = 480 Mbit
USB 3 = 4 Gbit/s

Firewire 400 = 400 Mbit/s

Although high-speed USB 2.0 nominally runs at a higher signaling rate than FireWire 400, data transfers over S400 FireWire interfaces generally outperform similar transfers over USB 2.0 interfaces. Typical USB PC-hosts rarely exceed sustained transfers of 280 Mbit/s, with 240 Mbit/s being more typical. This is likely due to USB's reliance on the host-processor to manage low-level USB protocol, whereas FireWire delegates the same tasks to the interface hardware (requiring less or no CPU usage)

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Unless you're going to stick with your existing system for a while to come, I'd probably think twice about getting a FW card as well now that you mention it.  USB 3.0 is due next year, no?

Ow i dunno anything about that stuff I thought Firewire was always hi-tech or something so I just try to find a USB MOTU, that APOGEE stuff is only for Macs right?

USB MOTU = good choice!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

22 (edited by Woody Aki 2009-10-06 18:45:32)

The dog's bollocks have just been connected to USB...
http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_fireface_uc_1b.jpg
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php

I have the Edirol UA-25 and it works great. I have no experience with the others however.

00101000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00101100 00000000 01010111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 00101110

24 (edited by acidcat 2009-10-07 03:47:34)

i would actually prefer a firewire card over usb. speed is more important to me than data transfer rate, but as with any other hardware i would try out different things and make my final decision on that.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Whats a decent price for a second hand 828mk2? I saw one for 350 but it was already sold

Yeah 350/300 if in good conditions is ok price.
Watch out with the motu 828MkII usb,
I have one and it's a great card,many inputs and outpus (actually in total 10 analog ins and out plus adat expansion etcetc) the converters are great and the built in cuemix thing sometimes comes handy BUT :
on mac = rock solid
on windows = drivers SUX real bad. Sometimes the card freezes for a while (and guess what happens to the midi sync), sometimes it gives you this high pitched noise bleep that always makes me jump on the chair during night time low volume production.
Danny it depends which system you run.I had an old pc where the card performed just fine,on the new quadcore I have it gives me this shit.
I wish it was rock solid and windows as much as it is on mac...

My honest opinion,get RME.