Re: Doris Norton

i'm not an attorney at law; not directly linking to copyrighted material just seems a common sense rule to me.

☂ bezoek okiland !

so, by common sense you should not link mp3 downloads on the forum? there's plenty of other copyrighted material linked directly to the forum all the time.

Monkey see, monkey do.

then please press the report button tongue
i'm sorry i can't seem to get clear where to draw the line; opening a topic about a release & posting the mp3's (or wav's or whatever) seems to be over it though.

☂ bezoek okiland !

I think as long as the material isn't hosted in the forum that's not a problem

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

30 (edited by biotek 2008-07-21 14:02:08)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smi7h3dHi0s[/youtube]

Monkey see, monkey do.

she's so hot smile this is a serious post!

yes sir

Monkey see, monkey do.

i'm not even overly concerned about copyright issues, although i don't know how i would feel about mp3's being traded of artists that are on the forum here and have a current release out. this stuff wasn't allowed on the cbs forum either, remember? so come on biotek, no whining now.

we're not a blog or a file sharing community, we're a forum. i personally don't think it's a good idea to start doing this, before you know it the forum will be flooded with people asking for and offering mp3's...

34 (edited by r2dj 2008-07-21 14:39:20)

I didn't even know the Denis Norden had release any albums in the first place

it seems like the only whining is coming from the moderators side..

why would mp3 downloading be a bad thing? i thought sharing information about music was the main purpose of the forum (robots for robots.. do you see it on the banner?) if it's not then what is the purpose of the forum?

Monkey see, monkey do.

there's a lot of sharing information about music going on here.
the purpose of this forum is to post pictures of course.

☂ bezoek okiland !

37 (edited by r2dj 2008-07-21 14:32:23)

Having read the all the arguments in the thread, the clincher for me is not wanting RfR to turn into a file-sharing forum. I could see it degenerating to a state where 9 out of 10 posts are requests for .mp3/flac's which would dilute all the other good stuff here.

So I can see where the mods are coming from with this

I mean it's not as if there aren't other options for file-sharing

has mp3 mix trading (with tracklists) attracted copyright holders to demand those mixes be removed from the forum?

there has to be a line somewhere ofcourse, but i don't think that line should exclude this sort of rare out of print record mp3 trading. excluding it seems artificial and just makes our lives more difficult.

Monkey see, monkey do.

bias wrote:
rude66 wrote:

i'm not even overly concerned about copyright issues, although i don't know how i would feel about mp3's being traded of artists that are on the forum here and have a current release out. this stuff wasn't allowed on the cbs forum either, remember? so come on biotek, no whining now.

we're not a blog or a file sharing community, we're a forum. i personally don't think it's a good idea to start doing this, before you know it the forum will be flooded with people asking for and offering mp3's...

http://www.robotsforrobots.net/viewtopic.php?id=373

FAIL

failboat all the way.

Monkey see, monkey do.

40 (edited by jonny five 2008-07-21 16:10:46)

maybe just a single thread for mp3 posting could be used, so as not to clog up the rest of the forum with filez. seems to work ok on dj history forum. i don't really see the difference between posting an mp3 of a track and posting up a mix to be honest (both are very usefull for discovering new music), although i've always gone along with the forum rules regarding mp3 posting in the past.

jonny five wrote:

maybe just a single thread for mp3 posting could be used, so as not to clog up the rest of the forum with filez. seems to work ok on dj history forum. i don't really see the difference between posting an mp3 of a track and posting up a mix to be honest (both are very usefull for discovering new music), although i've always gone along with the forum rules regarding mp3 posting in the past.

Thread for mp3 links = great idea!
+1 +1 +1

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

42 (edited by biotek 2008-07-21 18:53:42)

yes, why not? sharing is nice so it's okay by the forum rules.

Monkey see, monkey do.

@ Larry Levan
"...so if someone puts 1000 samples to ID it will be easy to find new and GOOD tunes, good because they have been selected!"
-> i don't know, through all those years on the cbs i was only posting once a track id. sometimes i think people are just too lazy to dig on their own for good stuff...

@ jonny five
"i don't really see the difference between posting an mp3 of a track and posting up a mix to be honest..."
-> a mix is mix and a track is a track! smile

well 1000 ids I wouldn't called a selection, more a super mess.

but still, queen, sometimes you have a track and you don't know it, it's useful to get to know what others know. You cannot dig all this damn world. smile See now I know doris norton, and I'm in love, if it wouldn't have been for this forum.

i agree it's a bit silly not to allow posts like this. i mean as long as it is old and forgotten stuff like in this case, i don't think anyone is getting in trouble. and the rest of the reasons against it seems kinda made-up to me.

but whatever, it's your forum, you make the rules smile

anyway, thanks for the files JamesTRubotnik, interesting stuff indeed.

46 (edited by biotek 2008-07-22 00:16:49)

yes, thanks.

btw you can find more doris norton here (links courtesy of google.com)
http://bluetvset.blogspot.com/2008/01/d … ce-lp.html
http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/ … eling.html
http://www.musikresearch.com/shop_dorisnorton.htm

Monkey see, monkey do.

back on topic, a bit  - does anybody else like jacula or antonius rex? i've only heard a couple releases, but they are cool....

more than half of this old doris norton stuff already seems pretty sketchy to me.. got to love those dog bark samples though.

Monkey see, monkey do.

mm i dunno, im not really into prog-rock. and yeah, much of the old doris norton stuff is kinda sketchy. but that is also what makes it cool... total freak out shit.

her (?) website is pretty wierd with moving gifs backgrounds and unifying field buttons and stuff. also has some nice pictures.

http://www.futurestyle.org/xtras/xtraimages/witchTR808.gif
http://www.futurestyle.org/xtras/xtraimages/whiteDPX1oberheim2.gif

another observation of extreme importance:
she used the bassline from john carpenter's chase across the 69th street bridge (from the escape from n.y. soundtrack) for her track sylicon valley.