Topic: Behringer Buys Midas

Hilarious!

http://fohonline.com/index.php?option=c … p;Itemid=1

Re: Behringer Buys Midas

The Midas touch will probably go into reverse - everything they'll touch turns into Behringer/shite...

Hahahaha

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

oh man, and klark teknik too..

while doing some research on the a80, i came upon many stories of how studer was bought by the Harman group.. its all true, those kind of companies turn these old respected brands to shit.. i've had lexicon products here that almost made me cry, shit they never ever would have done before harman bought them. now they want to move the entire production of studer from switzerland to the uk..destroying 60 years worth of knowledge and craftsmanship.

expect crappy 300 euro midas mixers made in china soon..

so what are the alternatives then? I see some sort of "Microsoft game" going on these days...

6 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-12-09 00:52:36)

rude66 wrote:

expect crappy 300 euro midas mixers made in china soon..

Not 300 euro, but they're quicker than you think...
At least stockholders might get their midas share.

http://www.meibergen.nl/aanbiedingen/images/Behringer/Xenyx%20XL%203200.jpg

http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/VENICE320.jpg

Midas turned his food and daughter into gold as well, btw.

Fuck it.... Digidesign venue all the way!

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

damn brian, now that you point it out...

the xenyx.. anyone who thinks thats a good name for a mixer should be shot on sight.

@alex: the alternative is simple: stay small and independent. do NOT become a public company so others can buy your shares and demand short term profits that'll kill long term possibilities. or if some things become too expensive (anything from r&d to parts buying) group together with other small brands.. there are plenty of companies that do succeed in both this market and in staying independent.. its very rare to be both a succesful high end brand in any industry, and be part of some big conglomerate of brands or big company...

the only ones i can think of right now are car brands like audi and skoda that benefited hugely from becoming part of the volkswagen group..

Guys i never heard that good story's about Midas mixers.
So honestly i don't really bother.
The Studer story is kinda sad their service was great.
But the interesting stuff they made is upto the 900 series.
All stuff after that is not that interesting to me.

@Rude66

Yeah, I know what happens from the economic side of things, I am used to witness it (having worked in a financial
company gives you a certain insight in the markets) smile
I was wondering more on the side of things which is closer to our needs/desires/profession/hobby...
If a company like Midas gets acquired by Crappingher (sorry for the word play tongue), what are the brands in the audio
field  that are still holding by themselves and not going to be acquired by some industry giant?
Especially, does anybody know one of this company on whose commitment they specify that they want to stay
independent?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Midas mixers have already been made in China for the past four years or so. Perhaps somebody else who owns a Midas desk can confirm? Toft ATB have often been favourably compared to the Midas Venice series and the Toft stuff is also made in China. So are the new Allen & Heath Zed series and the Mackie Onyx range (I haven't used any of these so can't comment on the quality).

@alex: kawai, d&r, numark, ecler, sherman, rodec, dateq, manley.. the list is endless...

@mono: they are super nice mixers. good sound, lots of possibilities, nice eq's.. ive played live with them several times, and the difference with other mixers i've used live is amazing. i never used one in a studio environment though..

edit: in itself there is nothing wrong with manufacturing in china, there's some good products coming from there. but if youre a company that has always don this locally and then move there, there's also an ethical question...

13 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-12-09 18:35:37)

Do you think Midas engineers & people will accept if Behringer will make them compromise quality. Somehow I don't think so. Maybe Behringer will gain some credibility instead

@ruud i heard a lot off different story's.

But who nees such big desks nowadays?
I woukd get a nice old studer or something insted and a good patchbay and audio interface.

people like me need big desks.. big_smile

actually midas is big in the live PA business. thats what most of their desks are made for.. and believe me, in a darkl club with smoke aropund you and louyd music and annoying people, as a sound guy its nice to have a big desk with big knobs and bright colours, additional to a good sound..

you don't need a big desk ruud.
A good patchbay system is what you need.

Midas is big in the PA businenss but they don't make good studio desks i think.

hey, i have a full 24 channel desk with a lot of the inputs doubled, and 8 channels of those on a patchbay that is also full. i'm not a big patchbay fan..
and i like my mixers big.. not just because i have big hands and fingers which is a pain in the ass with those small mixers, but also because they look good.. the ''proper studio look'' so to speak. big_smile

mono-poly wrote:

you don't need a big desk ruud.
A good patchbay system is what you need.

That's a bit of a odd statement to me. I find desks, like routing systems, can be instruments in their own right. There are plenty of styles of playing that depend on the desk being used as a instrument. Think of dub-style mixing, the usage of the mixer in turntablism or the continual eq tweaking in a lot of old gabber.

There are probably a lot of people that feel you don't need hardware modulars either....

Having a good patchbay eliminates the need for a big powermixer. Thus saving money for effects or other tools.

a ''big powermixer'' is about so much more than just having lots of inputs.. its about build quality, sound quality, having much better access to knobs, etc etc..

as kas said: a good desk is an instrument in itself. i'm forever telling people how crazy it is that they spend thousands on synths, then buy a crappy 200 euro mixer to push it all through. a desk is a very important part of your overall sound, and each desk sounds different. big desks tend to be in the higher price ranges, so also have better components, and are easier to service than small desks...

record straight through a high quality audio interface with state of the art a/d converters to a hi-quality daw system is what I say. unless what you are after is the colorization you get from this or that mixer or tape recorder.

I personally like my synths as they sound, that's why i treasure one rather than another... of course I do appreciate the colorization (or artifacts) given by a monster analog mixer or tape recorder, but as rude says that's adding "instruments" to the rig, and unless you're after that, there's absolutely no need for such things only for recording multiple sources and mixing them IMHO.

22 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-12-10 12:05:36)

Yeah, what I don't understand when people spend thousands on synths and a big powermixer, then buy a crappy 200 euro soundcard to record big_smile

Buy a good channel strip instead, eg an SSL or Neve channel strip. Record everything through that separately and it'll sound better than through a big Spirit or Midas desk.

.....but whats the fun in recording everything one input at a time?

no-fi wrote:

.....but whats the fun in recording everything one input at a time?

or when you record something and then you change your mind