Topic: Should i buy a TR-808 or a Akai Mpc 2500

i am really confused right now, i dont know what is the better purchase. I always wanted a 808 its kinda the dream drummachine i ever wanted. Unfortunaly the prices on the second hand market is really insane, an mpc 2500 would cost me 500 euros less, and i could controll my other analogs through it. Also the possibility of loading drums from all my favourite drummachines is a big argument. But with the 808 i could trigger my analogs and use the internal sequencers of the machines. I dont know what is the better producing method for me. Using midi, or trigger the machines in a classic way. The MPC method offers a lot more possibilities (playing chords for example) and i would have more drum sounds and etc. But triggering the sh 101 and the JX-3P and the Juno 60 with tr 808 seems also very intresting, and i think soundwise the 808 will sound better later on my productions as the mpc 2500 with sampled drums... ah i am confused any hints ??

http://www.myspace.com/electrojax

Looking for a place to stay, i like to dance and drift away...

Re: Should i buy a TR-808 or a Akai Mpc 2500

I don't see how you'd regret getting an 808, can't say the same about the MPC.

you'll never regret buying a 808 smile

but a cheap solution: buy the MPC + a tr606. The 606 has the nice basic analog drum sounds and a great sequencer with 2x trigger-out. It can even switch between patternplay/patternwrite mode while running, the 808 cant..

TB or not TB

If you buy a TR-808, chances are you'll be able to sell it for the same amount (or more) if you decide it isn't for you.  I'm not sure the same could be said for the MPC.

So I say get the TR-808 first.  If you're still pining for an MPC after the fact, maybe a cheaper model like the 500 or 1000 will do.  If you just want to play back samples and sequence external stuff, even a used 2000xl will do the trick nicely.

it's true playing a real 808 is nice. but Freeks idea is cool.

playing synths with triggers is cool. you start to realise how certain records were made. i certainly seem to write different stuff if i'm working with CV compared to midi.

the mpc is brilliant though. so many ways to use it.

808 would probably be nice with your set up and its classic sounds, but they're a played out too. i actually prefer to sample my drums with fx and trigger the samples. i can get the mpc shuffle that way too.

I don't think the 808 is played out, but that's a matter of taste.

I think getting a 606 and a smaller or older MPC is a nice compromise though, unless mony is not a major deciding factor.

7 (edited by TROjAX 2009-12-10 18:06:39)

Is there a huge difference between the Sound of a MPC with good 808 samples in terms of soundquality and groove compared to a real 808 ? A friend of mine says i wouldn

8 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-12-10 18:21:08)

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so but in my opinion you should get the MPC .. It's much more versatile and you can do so much more with it.. There are some excellent 808 samples available, for example the samples from Goldbaby who did a 808 set recorded first to tape and that sounds phenomenal. I think he has MPC sets ready even.. Of course it might not sound 100% the same but do you really think that an 808 will make your music better? Of course it's a nice machine to have and play around with but maybe you should think what your needs are first .. And maybe later save some more money and buy 808 if you really want it. I don't think the sound difference with real 808 and mpc with 808 samples will make so much more difference in productions

I don't think it would be noticeable in a mix, no.

I have samples of my 808 in a drumrack in Live for quickly putting stuff together, but it always seems "better" when I switch out the sampled stuff for my real 808.  But if I didn't have an 808 would I think the samples sound bad?  No, not at all.

I think the key is that some 808 sounds are more sample friendly than others.  Some sounds (rimshot, clave, maraca, cowbell) seem fine with just one sample, but other sounds (hats, snares, clap, bass drum) definitley benefit from having 4 or 5 hits sampled and then played in a round-robin fashion to keep them from sounding too static.

Also, most sample sets seem to overlook the sound you get when you have an open hat and a closed hat on the same step.  I think this is pretty important for getting the hats to sound as dynamic as the real thing.  That's just me being (overly) picky though.

first you're confused about being gay, then you're confused about which sampler to buy.

good luck with both big_smile

cuties don't exert

ytz wrote:

first you're confused about being gay, then you're confused about which sampler to buy.

i never was confused about beeing gay idiot !

no reason to start calling people names, young man!

TROjAX wrote:
ytz wrote:

i never was confused about beeing gay idiot !

sorry i misunderstood

no offence meant.

seriously, i hope you find the sampler that suits you. i have an sp-303. i wouldn't recommend it.

cuties don't exert

I you're after the 808 sound, samples might be just fine, like Uni says it won't sound as authentic but it will still sound very good.
The Goldbaby samples are great, they're well recorded, so you could argue that I can't record my 808 that well in my studio.

The workflow that the 808 gives you is pretty cool and surprisingly unique.  When you have synths with trigger inputs it's a very nice combo.  I have midi on both my Jupiter-4 and Juno-60, but I still use the trigger ins a lot more, in combo with the 808.  Being able to select the trigger per step on a grid is useful.  You could get similar results with the MPC and a click sample of course, but it wouldn't be as intuitive.

15 (edited by TROjAX 2009-12-10 19:54:25)

First of all thank you robots. This really helps me, slowly there is a light of the end of the tunnel.

I just have some more questions...

1. Is there a difference in terms of groove in sequencing with midi compared to trigger, i heard there is some noticeable delay by midi. It

1.  age old question. cv triggers are pretty tight. mpc's are regarded as some of the tightest midi seq's

2. depends on taste. 808 sounds great out the box. especially using master out. i took mine to a friends where he recorded the seperate outs and ran them through compressors. sounded good in his 80's inspired music too. in general i'd say no, the sounds are pretty loud and clear

3. i don't think so. akai's are cleaner sounding than other samplers. mpc60/3000 will colour samples a bit. 2000 onwards are clearer.

isn't  a real big factor the method of programming on an 808 Vs mpc? the x0x style of creating patterns seems much better and more intuative to use (even with the JJos for the 2500) for drum patterns.

i have a slightly similar dilemma - i have a 2500 but am considering building a mb-808 (can't afford 1000 pounds for the real thing) but not sure its wise considering what i already have

TROjAX wrote:

1. Is there a difference in terms of groove in sequencing with midi compared to trigger, i heard there is some noticeable delay by midi. It

TB or not TB

I think you can't compare both machine in anyway apart that you ca use a mpc as drumcomputer as well.
Workflow is totally different as well as possibilities. MPC is called 'midi-production center' for a reason. both are great pieces of equipement. If you need a device to sequence and sample go for mpc if you want an amazing drumcomputer that will hold its value for the years to come buy the tr-808. I eventually sold my mpc because I rarely used it but never thought about selling the 808 as its being used a lot.

Or do like Freek,
get an 808 and then instead of getting an mpc you get another 808 hehe

no really the mpc is great and the 808 is the sexiest thing ever made.
You won't get the real 808 out of the mpc plus the 808 sounds are never outdated (imho) and they're so versatile to use with effects or just complement to another beat.
The mpc on the other hands is a true (super tight) midi sequencer with a kick ass (yet small sized) sampler built in...
so as someone else replied already...try to think what u really need smile
Or get the 808 first that you can always sell back later on for the same value (although I doubt you would ever).
We love so much nerd talking big_smile

21 (edited by TROjAX 2009-12-11 02:58:47)

Freek wrote:

The original clock of any roland tr/mc/tb sequencer is pretty sloppy and drifts like hell. And it does depend on what kind of trigger and devices you use.

Really,  thats shocking  and i thought it were supertight ?! Cuz this was a main reason to go or a 808. Same with the 606 ? I am tending now more to a MPC now.

i might also add that you can trigger your synths with a sample via the individual outs on an mpc.  I'm able to do it with my 2000xl and roommate has gotten his 1000 to work in the same way.  that being said, i don't want to discourage anyone from buying an 808 smile 

as far as the timing goes, i think it also has to do alot to do with the device being used to sync these boxes together.  I had borrowed a cheap din-sync device, and found it really sloppy compared to using my pro-solo, and i know there are devices even tighter than that.  But, if you're sequencing everything from the 808 via clock triggers, you probably won't notice any wobbliness or drift, because all the synths will be wobbly and drifting with each other in the exact same way.

23 (edited by TROjAX 2009-12-11 07:02:05)

dequalsrxt wrote:

i might also add that you can trigger your synths with a sample via the individual outs on an mpc.  I'm able to do it with my 2000xl and roommate has gotten his 1000 to work in the same way.  that being said, i don't want to discourage anyone from buying an 808 smile 

as far as the timing goes, i think it also has to do alot to do with the device being used to sync these boxes together.  I had borrowed a cheap din-sync device, and found it really sloppy compared to using my pro-solo, and i know there are devices even tighter than that.  But, if you're sequencing everything from the 808 via clock triggers, you probably won't notice any wobbliness or drift, because all the synths will be wobbly and drifting with each other in the exact same way.

i just saw a video on youtube where a guy syncs his Juno 60 to his machinedrum via a rimshot sample, and it works ! There are too many pro arguments for the mpc, i think I should get a MPC. I am just little concerned about the soundquality of the MPC.

Thanks a lot robots, i think i have made my decision now.

If you buy a MPC buy a used 3000.

i know the 3000 is better build than the other mpc

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → General Hardware / Software Discussion → Should i buy a TR-808 or a Akai Mpc 2500