Topic: Korg MS-10 surgery question.

Has anyone here worked on the insides of an MS-10 before?  I have some scratchy pots that I wanted to treat with some DeOxit, and I assume I'll need to take the panel board out to get at the pots. 

Seems straight-forward enough from looking at the service manual.  I just wanted to make sure I'm not entering a world of pain by taking the MS-10 apart.

Re: Korg MS-10 surgery question.

never tried with a ms-10 but i find taking photos of the disassembly process helps with reassembly

3 (edited by crc 2010-01-07 21:08:16)

the first synth i ever opened up was a korg mono/poly, and i have no electrical training of anykind.
screwing all the pots out of the front panel and then disassembling the circuitboards from the inside + cleaning all the pots + oscilator tuning  (i had instructions for that operation) took me about 4 hours. just be careful and it's not that hard. a bit timeconsuming maybe, but fun if you like to be a synthfreek like me smile

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.  I'm sure it will be fun indeed.  smile

I've done some light synth surgery in the past, but only with machines that have hinged front-panels (JP-6, P-600, etc) so getting to the guts was dead-simple.  Looks like the MS-10 will take a bit more work/time to get at the pots.

5 (edited by no-fi 2010-01-08 12:25:55)

I've done it once, many years ago. (err.. opened up an ms-10, not used deoxit!!)

don't remember the procedure, but I also don't remember having any dramas.....

OMG why spray?
Doesn't moving the knobs a lot make it sound better.
I can't stand people using spray on pots.
Because in the end they make stuff worse.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

deoxit works, but get the one that has a built in lubricant, otherwise you need to re-lubricate them. also don't use a lot, i found the small bottle that has a little brush works the best. a good thing is also to blow them out with air, either with a spraycan of air or i always use an airbrush..

Yea, i see alot of serious guys swear by deoxit.. Its perversely expensive tho, jeez!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

9 (edited by unicity 2010-01-08 15:08:15)

mono-poly wrote:

OMG why spray?
Doesn't moving the knobs a lot make it sound better.
I can't stand people using spray on pots.
Because in the end they make stuff worse.

Hahaha!!  Trust me, I have been moving these pots back and forth for more than a YEAR now hoping the noise would go away, but it hasn't.  One of the noisy pots is the filter cutoff control (gets scratchy between the 10 and 12 o'clock positions), and I'd really like that control to work properly.  Can't take it anymore.

So, sorry monopoly, but unless you have any other suggestions...it's spray time. 

Thanks for the suggestion Rude.  I have some canned air here so I'll give that try as well.

the resistive element inside the pot may be worn which would require replacement

I as well advise against any sort of deoxidant products on those pots.
In the past I have seen the effect of those liquids on pots and switches and, trust me, the best thing to do is to replace
the pot entirely.

At least this is what I would do... But if you really want to go that way, the best thing to do would be to disconnect the
pot from the machine and treat it alone, as well following Rude's advice and use the one with the little brush and sparingly.

A.

Just throw away the synth so I could get it from the trash.

Planet of Cevo