Re: ++Gear Down!++ Repair Thread

^^ try using a different power adapter first. i used to have one and heard that they had power supply issues and also buggy OS, i dont remember if you can update the OS via midi or if you have to change the eprom. check around the net for updates

as far as the knobs not doing anything IIRC the knobs only effects the sound of the kit that selected, so if you have a 909 selected then when you trigger 808 sounds on that patch, the knobs will have no effect. I freaked out too and though mine was broken.

good luck

I have some gear down of my own!!!!!! I bought a CR-8000 (as seen in the new booty thread) the guy made this crazy footswitch for it that is basically all the switches on one hunk of wood. he wired em up to a 5 pin jack on the back telling me that the original switches still work, well it wont work normally unless the switch is connected (the switches are normally closed! so its the opposite of most switches. anyway I cut his wires away and fixed the shorts he made on the board. I turned it back on and the tempo (internal) just wavers between 04 and 30 bpm no matter where you have the tempo dial, although it syncs to the 707 fine.

While it was open and on I think the top of one of the big caps touched the metal case (ground) and i heard a sizzle and then plastic/weird smoke. i turned it off checked the components and couldn't find anything that looked fried. Then my buddies came over and i demoed it for them. made some more food while they played with it and when i came back it was off and it smelled like burning chemical/plastic. One of the big caps has wierd goo coming out of it so i assume i have to replace that but what is stopping it from happening again!?!!

I know this is strange and random but anybody mod or work on cr-8000s alot??

luckily i have morries 606 for the gig tonight!!

-A

"yeah yeah thats right"

152 (edited by automatique 2009-12-06 19:21:17)

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2200/jx3plfobutton.jpg

the lfo trig button is impressed - i dunno how this could happen - maybe the tomcat was bored and did some shit - he's climbing on gear all the time. now the button is constantly pressed. can i fix this without opening the synth? shit!

@automatique
well, you could try to use a flat screwdriver or a thin knife to lift it , but I just looked at my JX3P...
I have a different button! mine is silver coated, yours look like black plastic...
Anyways opening it should make easier fixing, for the future as well...

lol i would prefer oping it automatique poking in it with a flat screwdriver sound kinda primitive wink that is the way i used to fix my synths with gafatape and tipje (the carton you put in your joint as a filter) that sucks and itll alway get worse eventually just open the synth it can handle it

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

and now my turn for the "gear down" thread.. I have opened one some time ago but there were no replies...

here is my last post about it:

I wasn't using this synth for a while, today I decided I wanted to properly explore the modulation matrix in conjunction
with the MAQ16/3... then all of a sudden the box resets, like a power cycle... then after 10 seconds that it is responsive
again, another power cycle... I hear the "click" of a relais inside it, I assume that the power supply has some issues.
I did promtly shut it down, to avoid more issues.

Any robots had similar problems with their boxes?

I will dismount mine from the rack and open it, maybe there is a dead rat inside that is bridging two points... tongue

156 (edited by automatique 2009-12-06 21:36:50)

ok. i did a little research - and it seems my jx-3p is the only one with this black plastic button. all others (on pics) have the silver coated button. it makes no sense for the design. so i guess it was replaced. the synth must be opened in the past according to the screws of the case. the button worked only when i pushed it - no on/off mode. how is this on your jx-3ps bots?

now i have it in the right position again - but it doesn't work so well - if i push the button it stays down...

edit: i have a later modell of the jx-3p with midi IN, OUT & THRUE - does anybot also have a later modell? silver or black button?

I guess there is no chance to get one of these silver coated buttons - this roland modell is over 25 years old.

i have a silver button and in/out/thru.

big chance vintageplanet.nl will have your silver one..

thanks for the link rude, i always forget about this page... "Push Switch with LED SPQ009F" is out of stock - they have this silver cap, but i guess i need a whole new button. and i need a tech. i have no electric and soldering skills.

mine as well has the midi in/out/thru.. and all the button caps are silver.

that black button is after market. I think even the early ones with no midi thru still had the silver button. those buttons suck though what you want is a latching button. I did the mod on my old JX 3p b4 i sold it.

So unsolder the original switch and buy a latching one instead, maybe even one that you can push down (but not all the way) so it can still work as the old button did. while your at it put a latching switch for the transpose also!

-A

"yeah yeah thats right"

thanks for the advice portagoose! now i need a tech - will make a bulletin on the bulletin-board at the technical faculty of the university (it's 10 minutes from here) if some student could do the job for cheap - i am also a student and couldn't afford a tech (55

you dont need a tech. replacing a switch like this is the easiest thing to do. learn to solder and do it yourself!

okay cr-8000 update: it looks like it wasn't the cap that blew but the IC "TA7179P" looks bubbled in the middle and cracked down the middle. I found out its a power regulator, of course im going to undo all jumps i did on the board before i install it.

Anyway, since the TA7179P IC is a just power regulator I have identified some alternatives incase i can't find the original part.  I know the tr-808, SH-09, and SH-2 have this same IC, among many other synths.

so the big question is: if the IC blew, could there be anything nearby ( in the circuit) that could need replacing too? (again, i do not notice anything else looking funny.

c'mon I know there are some badass robot techs with their wellers out just waiting to answer a hot question like this...
: )

_A

"yeah yeah thats right"

I just got a Korg DDD5, kind of fun, sounds like a cheap Linndrum knockoff.

I'm having a problem with saving patterns, I think it's the battery but I wonder if anybody has experience with these.

It does a "SYSTEM RESET"  (as displayed on the lcd) everytime I turn it on, unless I do an on-off very quickly, probably the internal battery right?

165 (edited by olivier8 2009-12-13 08:12:06)

Ouch, one of our 303 is down! it was running then suddenly the sound dropped. we can still hear patterns running , clicks & white noise in the background if we turn up the mixer though... Rrrrr
we opened it and didn't see anything suspect.. anyone encountered this symptom before??

my mixer doesn't work today, after a long time not being plugged in. It is a soundtracs solo. The external power supply LED's show that the -17V circuit is not working. I confirmed this with a multimeter, and there is oily gunk all over the -17V area of the power supply circuit board.

Question: If I recap the capacitors that seemed to have leaked (not the biggest ones, but two 1000microF) is it likely to be all good? The traces show staining/corrosion, but the they all conduct. Are the Op Amps likely to be allright?

Re-cAp but youneed to clean the pcb too. Unfortunatly you need to replace the caps before you can see if the op-amps are workng. Unless you can route a 17+- voltage through the circuit further down the line.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

My nord lead 2 is not properly working since yesterday.
When I turn it on  sometimes it turns on properly, sometimes it only gives a small blink and then dies.
Or it turns on but only shows some random number on the display, and theres no output at all.

Would you think its something with the power supply? Cable broken or something?

Pretty pissed of since I just bought it 2 weeks ago. hmm

just found this and thought u robtots might be interested

http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/

started repairing the poly 61. the keyboard has a few filthy contacts (not a big problem) the batterie has some leakage gonna cut it out. does the poly 61 function without the batterie?

score100 wrote:

My nord lead 2 is not properly working since yesterday.
When I turn it on  sometimes it turns on properly, sometimes it only gives a small blink and then dies.
Or it turns on but only shows some random number on the display, and theres no output at all.

Would you think its something with the power supply? Cable broken or something?

Pretty pissed of since I just bought it 2 weeks ago. hmm

i read some stories on Nordlead synths beeing piky on their power they get fed.

maybe try it in a different outlet or in one which is a different powergroup in your house. Or try to replace the stock AC with one with a high Ampere spec. Sometimes the original AC powersupllies can barely cope with the gear they supposed to power.

Recap done! Also a L296 power regulator had to be swapped, I guess it got corroded inside, the legs didn't look too healthy.

Now I've got to find out where the funny, intermittent FM/Theremin type noise is coming from into the audio path of the mixer. I guess something on the power circuit here in the house. What are the likely culprits for such high frequency FM, hard drives?

173 (edited by computerdisco 2010-02-06 16:03:55)

ProjectGenocide wrote:

started repairing the poly 61. the keyboard has a few filthy contacts (not a big problem) the batterie has some leakage gonna cut it out. does the poly 61 function without the batterie?

It dosent keep any of the patches so its pretty important. follow the instructions here
http://www.mik-music.org/BatteryLeakage&bl=y
Take the whole board out and scrub it with a mild detergent, water and a tooth brush carefully, leave it somewhere warm for 24hrs . When removing the battery carefully cut the legs and leave enough so you can unsolder them without too many problems later.  its pretty easy. the batteries are available at most component shops. Brought mine right back to life!

battery is out cleaned it now its standing to dry

the mikmusic site says 2-3 hours. why you recomend 24 hours? you think 2/3 is to short?

175 (edited by computerdisco 2010-02-06 19:59:44)

ProjectGenocide wrote:

battery is out cleaned it now its standing to dry

the mikmusic site says 2-3 hours. why you recomend 24 hours? you think 2/3 is to short?

Well as log as you think its dry!

I gave mine a really really good scrub and i was worried about water under the IC's.