Topic: Autechre - Oversteps

http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release … seid=23072

looks like a very nice package, with the vinyl and 24bit download for best sound quality and 320kbps mp3 for portable listening

what do you think: is this the way to go for labels?

the whole package for one price and with all the possible downloads included

Re: Autechre - Oversteps

I dont see any reason not to include digital formats with a hard copy, its not like they are hard to make from the original anyway. It would be quicker to make them yourself rather than d/ling from Bleep or whatever (from the cd that is). VVM used to send you out d/ls when you bought stuff from their label, and mailouts with a bunch of music when you preordered. Its not really that new and I can't think of an argument against it.

Warp are real assholes though, 30 quid for vinyl?

yeah, it's expensive

well, it's got a hardbox and 3 pieces of vinyl with double sleeves and a poster with sleeve, that's quite some artwork and that costs money

24bit is better than CD, so also for CD it's valid.
but especially for vinyl it's handy...

I'm thinking Warp are using the "free super high quality" 24bit d/l as an excuse to jack the vinyl price up rather than the DR wankery that will be on the release. As proof, check out the artwork on the last 2 Autechre albums. I'd like to hear some previews or something though, still got a bit of a soft spot for ae.

In sum, yaaay digital included when you buy some music, boooo if you increase prices because of that that.

rawshark wrote:

In sum, yaaay digital included when you buy some music, boooo if you increase prices because of that that.

I see your point, although a small increase is understandable because of higher costs

7 (edited by jacderida 2010-01-14 16:11:01)

rawshark wrote:

I dont see any reason not to include digital formats with a hard copy, its not like they are hard to make from the original anyway.

edit - erm, for some reason, i read your post as "i don't see any reason to include digital formats...", so just ignore my complaint smile.

not hard, but LPs are an absolute royal pain in the arse to record to the computer! (well, at least as opposed to a CD)

that's why i stopped buying them. i don't mind recording a 12" but LPs are just too time consuming.

if LPs always came with a free CDr or some access to a digital copy that you didn't have to pay for, i wouldn't have stopped buying them. just cause i like to have everything on the computer too, so that i can take it in to work and stuff, and well, just cause i'm a computer geek smile.

it's not 30 quid cos there's some wavs attached, it's 30 quid cos it's triple vinyl, extensively packaged.

proof? it's

cuties don't exert

i can't find anything about tripple vinyl, double only:

BLEEP wrote:

Deluxe Vinyl Edition:
- Double heavyweight 180gram vinyl, each disc packed in its own printed inner and outer card sleeves

- 900mm x 600mm double-sided poster printed on Offenbach ultra fine stock, folded within its own card sleeve

- Housed in printed and debossed rigid slipcase

Included free with all Vinyl & CD orders on Bleep.com
- 320kbps LAME encoded MP3 version of the album for your portable player
- Your choice of 16bit / 44.1kHz or 24bit / 44.1kHz WAV version of the album

i think its a step in the right direction eventually eliminating the waste involved in shipping, packaging, ordering/ raw materials, moving parts and not to mention money saved on both sides.  i think theyre losing their edge sticking to an outdated vinyl format.  i thought they were all about innovation?  i remember even buying a minidisc from them once haha

@raoul ah well ahem my bad. but it's

cuties don't exert

ytz wrote:

and vinyl is seen as a fetishistic objet d'art now, rather than a tool.

by whom?

lots and lots of people smile

cuties don't exert

if you like 'em or not
ae is still on top of the food chain

and so is the vinyl format..

when insanity slips in...

didn't know ae were still doing music.

tracks off their most recent album get played on ifm1 and ifm4 fairly regular... tho tbf post-draft 7.30 they seem to have reached their sound.

they are incredible live. people mosh.

cuties don't exert

i'm gonna go and see them when they play here on the 16th of march.

not the biggest fan in the world but i've heard likewise that the live experience is good.

they're playing in the sub club too - monster sound system big_smile

ytz wrote:

i've only seen them once. back in 2001. them two, a couple of computers and a laser.
half way through the set some dude asked me if i knew what time autechre were coming on

keep hackney crap

I find it in general pretty dumb if you still want people to pay for mp3's after they bought the vinyl,
so whenever I buy vinyl I take my right to download the mp3's (instead of wasting time with ripping).

And I feel the same as rawshark, 35 for a double Lp is seriously overpriced, even though I know that vinyl quality from warp is always very good.
Don't wanna go into the medium discussion now again, but if vinyl was really outdated nobody would buy it anymore which isn't happening yet for different reasons.

20 (edited by MANASYt 2010-01-15 13:09:51)

I saw em with Tortoise a while ago, about when they became more random than melodic big_smile
They even turned he visuals off when they started...wtf, hated it...was there for Tortoise anyway.
Love the old stuff of course...but these "IDM language track titles that dont mean anything" are getting old too smile

jacderida wrote:

if LPs always came with a free CDr or some access to a digital copy that you didn't have to pay for, i wouldn't have stopped buying them. just cause i like to have everything on the computer too, so that i can take it in to work and stuff

good one

I still buy vinyl, but djeeeez, the effort to record them...

i admire them for pushing their sound and music forward all the time, unlike a certain other "idm"(BARF)-giant, namely aphex twin. confield is my favourite record, which i know a lot of people hate for some reason.

gonna catch them in copenhagen or berlin, any robots going?

ytz wrote:

lots and lots of people smile

i don't care about lots and lots of people, so that's fine

Nukubot wrote:

good one

I still buy vinyl, but djeeeez, the effort to record them...

i still love vinyl too, i buy 12s all the time, but LPs... only if it's LP only.

takes like a whole afternoon to record one then cut up all the tracks in a wav editor, then encode, etc. sad

byron wrote:
ytz wrote:

i've only seen them once. back in 2001. them two, a couple of computers and a laser.
half way through the set some dude asked me if i knew what time autechre were coming on

genuine lolz

call them hit and miss?

i've seen them twice in notts and twice in manc ... once in leeds, too, iirc.... and each time there was a cadre of identically dressed fanboys in a moshpit. it really was a sight... especially when i thought it was going to be a chinstrokers convention.

most of the time they take rob hall on tour with them... great DJ, perfect crowd-fluffer

cuties don't exert